Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
So you're not disagreeing with me in the fact that despite BIG investment, Liverpool are worse off than 5 years ago? Compared to say Villa, who despite pretty minimal investment (in comparison) are far better off than 5 years ago?

Villa have spent more than Liverpool this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And they have sold quite a bit as well though. Rafa hasn't even spent the 30 mil he was trusted this season.

And they have also bought COUNTLESS journeymen that would never get near the other "Big 3's" squads, let alone first teams.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Villa have spent more than Liverpool this season.

Over 5 years. The money has run out at Liverpool after some ridiculous spending over the last 5 years. Some very prudent spending at Villa has allowed them to get the cheque book out a bit more this season. Still not mega bucks though.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Around 30 mil I thought, quite a bit and I'm sure Spurs are on par with Liverpools spending.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron - why are you ignoring all the money Benitez has raised in transfer fees?

I'm not ignoring it, but surely if a manager spends more than he takes in you expect the squad to improve as a result? It hasn't.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't be bothered to dig out what Chelsea and Man U have spent these last few years, but Chelsea have a bottomless pit to make NUMEROUS big signings to add to their squad, and Man U have been at the top of their game for nearly a couple of decades now, and so don't need to make mammoth investments all over the park to bolster their squad.

Labelling Benitez a failure for not beating Chelsea or Man U to the Premiership in the last 5 years is like calling Maria Sharapova ugly because she's standing next to Cheryl Cole and Kelly Brook.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't be bothered to dig out what Chelsea and Man U have spent these last few years, but Chelsea have a bottomless pit to make NUMEROUS big signings to add to their squad, and Man U have been at the top of their game for nearly a couple of decades now, and so don't need to make mammoth investments all over the park to bolster their squad.

Labelling Benitez a failure for not beating Chelsea or Man U to the Premiership in the last 5 years is like calling Maria Sharapova ugly because she's standing next to Cheryl Cole and Kelly Brook.

This has all gone too far, and is forcing me into making out Benitez is worse than he is. I only countered that I do not believe he is a "class" manager.

That is all.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Didn't realise so many people on here would be interested in a Premiership club. Blimey.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mellotron, what have Arsenal won in the last 4 years - f*** ALL!

Is Wenger NOT a 'class' manager? Did Thierry Henry win everything for Arsenal single-handedly?

The fact is Chelsea and Man Utd have dominated in the last 4 seasons because they've spent RIDICULOUS MONEY and, not mentioned previously, PAID RIDICULOUS WAGES. Liverpool have been frugal by comparison.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Now I don't have much of an interest in this thread (I was amazed how a topic about liverpool had reached a fourth page), but you have to stand and admire an analogy like that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This has all gone too far, and is forcing me into making out Benitez is worse than he is. I only countered that I do not believe he is a "class" manager.

That is all.

If Benitez isn't class then that only leaves Ferguson, Ancelloti, Wenger, Guardiola and Mourinho. A pretty small pool.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
And at this stage of the argument it is time to bring up The Transfer League Transfer League . Which reveals that since Benitez took over at Liverpool he has:

Spent: £247.7m
Recouped: 134.1m
Net spend: £113m

and as has been already stated only Chelsea and Man City have spent more:

Chelsea net spend: £144m
Man City net spend £221m

It's been really poor business from Benitez... he has signed 53 players and sold 66 playersduring his time at Liverpool, yet after 5 years of his faffing around the squad looks really mediocre minus Gerrard, Torres and possibly Mascherano.

And not to forget Gerrard was Mr Liverpool before Benitez arrived...

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Err..

Mascherano - 24m
Aquilani - 20m
Torres - 21m
Keane - 18m
Johnson - 18m

Come on. They have spent SHITLOADS.

really can't be arsed to check but I'm betting a lot of that they've recouped from selling. As Easy 10 says, they are not operating in the same financial statosphere as Man U Chelsea.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Err..

Mascherano - 24m
Aquilani - 20m
Torres - 21m
Keane - 18m
Johnson - 18m

Come on. They have spent SHITLOADS.

again, you need to put that in to some context with net overall spending.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I posted it in response to people saying that Liverpool haven't spent big. Clearly they have, regardless of where the money has come from.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL

Top ten spenders since 04/05 season.

1. Man City net spend £221m
2. Chelsea net spend £145m
3. Liverpool net spend £114m
4. Tottenham net spend £98m
5. Aston Villa net spend £93m
6. Sunderland net spend £86m
7. Man Utd net spend £28m
8. Everton net spend £24m
9. West Ham net spend £23m
10. Newcastle net spend £14m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports