Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
JP Morgan head offices are in Canary Wharf, Laarnden. A couple of thousand angry football fans turning up and protesting would be a good idea..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not ploughed through this gargantuan thread so this has probably already been said, but after the initial anger subsided (mainly due to the self-serving bullshit coming out of the mouths of the likes of Perez, like we're all STUPID or something), I've found I am actually quite ambivalent about it.

Maybe the domestic top flight needs a shake-up. Sure its fun when we occasionally give one of those gilded "Big 6" tossers a bloody nose, but I've always found the games against the mid-tables and those in and around us far more enthralling, because you're not fighting for scraps, and it feels more important.

Let them go off and play in their own safe, dull, sterile little mega-bucks bubble, where half the season or more will be rendered utterly meaningless for most of the clubs involved. I certainly won't be watching. Here, the PL could turn into the new Championship, with issues at the top and bottom going on all season long, right down to the wire.

I don't get a hard-on any more if we're playing Liverpool or Man U. I don't even bother checking when we're playing them. So f*ck em, let them go. No biggee. We'll get a more vibrant PL, maybe with finances downwardly re-adjusted accordingly (being as it won't be seen as the "elite" competition any more). In the long run, this could be very healthy for the 14+EFL clubs left behind.

And I'll be as oblivious to the European Super League as I have become to the Champions League. I simply will not give a shit about it, particularly with its dismal safety-net format for "The Founders". BTW - the fact that SPURS of all clubs have gotten themselves into that rancid little group of 12 is the most hilarious thing about it. I've seen it described as like Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards being invited to join The Avengers.

Bollocks to the lot of them. Bring it on.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But the point is they should. Its quite different to asking us to lose money (although plenty of Brighton fans did during the Archer out years). Klopp almost certainly never needs to work again, if he came out and said he will never manage Liverpool in the Super League he a) will hardly be destitute if he got sacked or resigned b) would be a hero to all football fans c) would show he had integrity and d) would almost certainly guarantee a hugely well paid job elsewhere. Someone like Pogba should do the same. There has to come a point where integrity is more important than money, anyone who has ever been on strike would say the same.

Except Klopp and Pogba are not English football fans. They are expats working for the best money they can get. You can’t expect them to care about our historical football institutions.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
I worked at JPM when there were protestors outside when the glazers first took over. I remember being locked in the building it was pretty dicey.

JPM didn't care then not convinced they will now. Investment banks like to think they take the high moral high ground these days but as ever money talks !

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I think it was Bob Dylan who said "Money doesn't talk, it swears"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe the point your differing on is that it’s no longer about us the fans that actually attend games, we’ve become utterly irrelevant to the top revenue generating six teams. Our S/T and matchday spend is peanuts compared to the potential of the Asian & American markets.

They have announced this knowing full well it will mightily piss us all off and they couldn’t give a stuff.

They described us as “legacy fans” FFS.

Lockdown has proved to them that tv fans couldn’t really give a stuff about fans actually attending the game, so long as a suitable fake sound track is played.

Let’s be honest, we are now, whatever club you support in the EPL, utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things in 2021.

Very few owners of clubs have a great relationship with the fans, we have and are lucky, most though realise the need to appease their fanbase. This is lost on Yanks who just do not understand integrity or loyalty in any way.

Fine as I've posted get rid, let them go. Football will survive, it may need to reset but it will do and perhaps we need to adopt the German ownership policy. Players will also need to realise that the gravy train may have pulled in the station but football will exist and Sky/BT will need to pay for it as they too need it to succeed.

I can see so many positives the EPL more competitive, and the magic of the FA Cup returning.

People need to remember Liverpool one EPL in decades City buying it for years, Chelsea ditto, and Spurs and Arsenal are joke clubs pretentious but no success. Bigger better clubs will take their place.

When the kids drink their milk

Manchester City, Who are they

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
JP Morgan head offices are in Canary Wharf, Laarnden. A couple of thousand angry football fans turning up and protesting would be a good idea..
Was done a lot when glazers first took over. To no effect sadly. No harm having another go.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sure but that doesn’t mean they get a free pass now. We support BHA but that doesn’t mean we support everything they do. If we expect Liverpool and Man U fans to oppose this then the least they deserve is for our clubs to join in with the condemnation.

I’m sure TB/PB will be vehemently and openly against the breakaway.

Perhaps they’ll issue their statement etc after tomorrow’s meeting of the 14 clubs. I expect so.

A 48 hour wait is nothing in the big scheme of things, imho.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've not ploughed through this gargantuan thread so this has probably already been said, but after the initial anger subsided (mainly due to the self-serving bullshit coming out of the mouths of the likes of Perez, like we're all STUPID or something), I've found I am actually quite ambivalent about it.

Maybe the domestic top flight needs a shake-up. Sure its fun when we occasionally give one of those gilded "Big 6" tossers a bloody nose, but I've always found the games against the mid-tables and those in and around us far more enthralling, because you're not fighting for scraps, and it feels more important.

Let them go off and play in their own safe, dull, sterile little mega-bucks bubble, where half the season or more will be rendered utterly meaningless for most of the clubs involved. I certainly won't be watching. Here, the PL could turn into the new Championship, with issues at the top and bottom going on all season long, right down to the wire.

I don't get a hard-on any more if we're playing Liverpool or Man U. I don't even bother checking when we're playing them. So f*ck em, let them go. No biggee. We'll get a more vibrant PL, maybe with finances downwardly re-adjusted accordingly (being as it won't be seen as the "elite" competition any more). In the long run, this could be very healthy for the 14+EFL clubs left behind.

And I'll be as oblivious to the European Super League as I have become to the Champions League. I simply will not give a shit about it, particularly with its dismal safety-net format for "The Founders". BTW - the fact that SPURS of all clubs have gotten themselves into that rancid little group of 12 is the most hilarious thing about it. I've seen it described as like Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards being invited to join The Avengers.

This.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wonder how many players and managers will resign from their massively paid jobs because of this??

Perhaps none?

If not allowed to play internationally perhaps some...eh

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Fair point. The lack of condemnation from our club (so far) is embarrassing

Naive comment. It’s not Paul Barbers job to give you his hot off the cuff take on one of the biggest football stories in the past 30 years.

The big PL meeting is tomorrow. Bloom/Barber/The Club will no doubt have a statement of sorts on the basis of that outcome. Have some patience.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Except Klopp and Pogba are not English football fans. They are expats working for the best money they can get. You can’t expect them to care about our historical football institutions.

Klopp did one of his early press conferences in a Beatles T-shirt (Just imagine Brendan Rogers doing the same and the reaction he'd get) and can't wait to show everyone he is a Germascouse. Here is his chance to show its not all aboit the money and he really does have integrity and isn't just another highly paid fraud albeit it with better fake sincerity than most. I suggest nobody holds their breath.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

This was my take yesterday when the story broke and remains the same. Would be delighted to see the greedy six dumped out of our league. Relegate or banish them.

Genuinely feel our league will be better for it. Our game is bigger than these clubs, no matter what people say.

My fear is they will have their cake and eat it and stay in the PL.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

But they should care about football institutions full stop. It's not an English thing, it's a football thing. I still think Klopp will probably do the right thing in time anyway.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
So true.

Don’t you think they will have paid for analysts work out figures regarding potential loss of sponsorship, and gained sponsorship in new areas such as Asia and all around the world, and have come to the conclusion the benefits out way any losses.

As you have alluded to JP Morgan are a force to be reckoned with and could hold some sway in any potential trade deal, which may deter anything other than some bold words followed by no action as usual from Britain and France when it comes to anything the Americans want.

I get what you are saying but as well as being an investment bank JP Morgan have a huge reach with their retail banking. This issue goes across much of Europe. How do you think German fans will react to not being part of a break away group. Happy that they stand firm, but not happy that the European Cup is pushed to one side and the break away is funded by a US bank. Same as with unhappy fans in Italy and Spain.
This is about JP Morgan trying to get £4bn of good publicity and new business from this deal. I’m sure that they would have been ‘sold’ the idea of the launch of the ESL being a huge success. I bet the deal hasn’t been signed yet by JP Morgan.
I wonder what their Chief Exec in London is thinking at present when asked by his US bosses about the initial reaction to the ‘launch’. For an investment of £4bn I’m not sure this looks like a good deal for them, and having worked for banks in the past they are more risk averse than ever.
It’s only going to take one domino to fall in the support of this break away and the rest follows. Could be one team withdraws (my guess in the Uk is Man City as they potentially have the least to lose by it failing)or the sponsors get cold feet and it will topple.
As Parrish said earlier the one good thing from this is that the Greedy 6 have now fully shown their hand. Previously they were gaining by Stealth. Not any more. They’ve now gone all in, and that’s a risk. If they fail now it won’t mean that a breakaway will never happen but it will put their case back a long way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A question, why are American owners getting the entire blame?

European football experts in interviews today said that Agnelli of Juventus and Perez of Real have been the driving force. Their clubs face unprecedented financial pressures, for once much reduced transfer spending power.

UEFA’s Ceferin was particularly critical of Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli, who have both stepped down from their roles at Uefa.

Agnelli was also a long-time president of the European Club Association (ECA), from which all 12 clubs involved in the ESL have resigned.

"He's probably one of the biggest disappointments, or the biggest disappointment of all," said Ceferin.

"I don't want to be too personal. But the fact is that I've never seen a person that would lie so many times, so persistently that he did was unbelievable.

"I spoke with him also on Saturday afternoon. He said, 'These are all only rumours. Don't worry, nothing is going on'. And then he said, 'I'll call you in one hour'. And he turned off the phone."

On Woodward, Ceferin added: "I didn't have much contact with him but he called me last Thursday in the evening saying that he's very satisfied with the [Champions League] reforms, that he fully supports the reforms, and that the only thing he would like to speak about is about financial fair play.

"And obviously he already signed something else."

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Free market. It's what the Tories love. No idea why they give the impression of being against it, it is what they live for. Votes maybe?

Bring it on, get rid of the clubs in support and whatever supporters want to 'follow' that shite. Same shitty clubs that forced the PL so good riddance to them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
But the point is they should. Its quite different to asking us to lose money (although plenty of Brighton fans did during the Archer out years). Klopp almost certainly never needs to work again, if he came out and said he will never manage Liverpool in the Super League he a) will hardly be destitute if he got sacked or resigned b) would be a hero to all football fans c) would show he had integrity and d) would almost certainly guarantee a hugely well paid job elsewhere. Someone like Pogba should do the same. There has to come a point where integrity is more important than money, anyone who has ever been on strike would say the same.

Yes I agree with that but why should he do that right now. There is enough sentiment amongst the footballing fraternity to hopefully stop this plan in its tracks without individual sacrifice.

Maybe down the road, managers, players and fans can go the extra yard but right now there is enough ill-feeling towards the ‘soccer-billionaires’.

To be fair, point D in your post does not indicate integrity on the part of Klopp if that was part of his thinking

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This was my take yesterday when the story broke and remains the same. Would be delighted to see the greedy six dumped out of our league. Relegate or banish them.

Genuinely feel our league will be better for it. Our game is bigger than these clubs, no matter what people say.

My fear is they will have their cake and eat it and stay in the PL.

You're right and I'll be more angry if they get their way of getting their money and allowed to continue in the EPL especially as they won't give a shite about it or it's other teams. ****'em

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So let me get this right. Tonight Klopp has openly and publicly expressed his opposition to the Super League plans of which his bosses are at the forefront of? In any other business surely you would now be at risk of a sacking for gross misconduct for such a public rebuttal of a major new company policy? Are they really going to sack him? Of course not as imagine the reaction from their fans. That's why I still think this whole move is just a game of brinkmanship and let's see who blinks first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here