Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wasn't it the Venky's of Blackburn Rovers fame, who bought the club not knowing that a team could get relegated.
Relegation and promotion, is the very essence of British football. Just look at us and Bolton, where we are now, were15 years ago, and could be in 15 years time.

I’ve love the way clubs ascend and descend the old divisions, including non league, the entire pyramid is a wonder.

Pre pandemic, often a 1,000 or more punters at some 5th tier matches. Hopeful of gaining league status and more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't Maple syrup Canadian? Maybe Fat burger, gun totting hands or something?

I agree FWIW. Let them bugger off, chuck them out and reset the whole thing. The Trafford devil's can piss off to Beijing if they want as that's the end game one way or another.

Probably. But Americans drench their breakfasts in ANYTHING that is sweet, sugary and gloopy, regardless where its from.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’ve ruminated on this all day, and if it’s possible to be both angry and disappointed at the same time; well - I am.

I’m reminded of when Rainbow sacked Graham Bonnet, in a cynical attempt to go even more commercial and finally break the US market...

You’re angry and disappointed? Imagine how Zippy and Bungle must have felt FFS.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
In no particular order a few thoughts:-

1. They want to create an American Franchise system in a sport where relegation and promotion brings most excitement. In other words endless mid table games with little to play for. That could be tricky to sell given they will be in competition with proper leagues that will have promotion and relegation. It sounds deathly dull but I'm sure they know what they are doing.

2. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the Albion. I have always preferred playing Palace, Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, QPR, Chesterfield, Millwall and Fulham over Man United and Arsenal.

3. Maybe if they go, invite Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs to join the league. Some great new away days there. Maybe the league could also consider replacing Man United, Arsenal ect with AFC Man U, AFC Arsenal ect.

4. One advantage of them going could be that we revert back to proper football. Where "making contact" is not a penalty (well if Man United are attacking not defending anyway) and with 2 subs instead of 5 (allowing Man United to bring on their 5th world class international just as Burnley's defence are tiring).It's up to the Albion and the other clubs to make their product even better by getting a better more competitive league. I think the debate of wailing and gnashing of teeth is the wrong reaction. It should be "righty oh, close the door on the way out". Then focus on ourselves.

5. The more I think about it, the more advantages I see for the Albion. Not financially, but on a day out perspective. Obviously feeling sorry for Man United and the other super league fans at the same time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

1. They want to create an American Franchise system in a sport where relegation and promotion brings most excitement. In other words endless mid table games with little to play for. That could be tricky to sell given they will be in competition with proper leagues that will have promotion and relegation. It sounds deathly dull but I'm sure they know what they are doing.

2. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the Albion. I have always preferred playing Palace, Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, QPR, Chesterfield, Millwall and Fulham over Man United and Arsenal.

3. Maybe if they go, invite Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs to join the league. Some great new away days there. Maybe the league could also consider replacing Man United, Arsenal ect with AFC Man U, AFC Arsenal ect.

4. One advantage of them going could be that we revert back to proper football. Where "making contact" is not a penalty (well if Man United are attacking not defending anyway) and with 2 subs instead of 5 (allowing Man United to bring on their 5th world class international just as Burnley's defence are tiring).It's up to the Albion and the other clubs to make their product even better by getting a better more competitive league. I think the debate of wailing and gnashing of teeth is the wrong reaction. It should be "righty oh, close the door on the way out". Then focus on ourselves.

5. The more I think about it, the more advantages I see for the Albion. Not financially, but on a day out perspective. Obviously feeling sorry for Man United and the other super league fans at the same time.

All good but please etc not ect

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Actually; I strongly suspect that Sooty is the silent mastermind behind this whole dastardly scheme.

Doubtless poor old Sweep will be sent out to face the music.

...sung by Rod Jane and Freddie.

Dark times.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Where did I say that, exactly ? I'm sure they don't either, but I can't speak for them. I'm sure they're fine about it when their clubs are regularly in Europe and paying their players £300k a week. You soon hear about it when they're not.

I still believe most fans would rather their team competed fairly for the right to play in the CL/ESL than gain automatic entry. More importantly, they would rather see their team in the PL week in week out than sacrifice that for a permanent place in the ESL.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I was agreeing with you right up to this point.

Are you suggesting that, the EPL should respond to teams being ripped from their own league, by ripping teams from the Scottish leagues?

I’m not sure you really get the underlying disquiet over this issue if you can suggest this as a resolution.

Feck me. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure they're getting the ENTIRE blame - there is plenty of grasping European filth involved in this grubby, grasping power-grab. But here's the thing - Americans are simply not accustomed to the concept of relegation. The very idea of sporting failure and incompetence actually having a drastic monetary consequence to their "franchise" investment is fearful, destabilising and terrifying to them. So they have bent some oily ears to get rid of that nasty little prospect, which has been the bedrock of our Leagues for 150 years.

They've found a gruesome little cabal of European owners who are complicit, but this is very much an american-driven project. Its got their maple-syrup drenched sticky chubby fingers all over it.

But through the salary cap, draft, and fixture list the structure is set up so all teams (except Cleveland) can win, winning and that winning is cyclical (unless your Cleveland).

This is just a shakedown.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I still believe most fans would rather their team competed fairly for the right to play in the CL/ESL than gain automatic entry. More importantly, they would rather see their team in the PL week in week out than sacrifice that for a permanent place in the ESL.

True. But you're talking about the 'Legacy' fans - they are no longer the priority. The ESL clubs are going all-out for the FUTURE fans. Its a bit like when you've been paying Sky £70 a month for 15 years, but then they come out with a super duper new offer for new customers for, say, £35 a month. So you say "hey, I'm a loyal customer, can I have me some of that" - but they just turn round and give you the middle finger.

Its the way of the world.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But through the salary cap, draft, and fixture list the structure is set up so all teams (except Cleveland) can win, winning and that winning is cyclical (unless your Cleveland).

This is just a shakedown.

But then in a league of 5 teams, you're always likely to be in with a shout at some point eventually. Unless you're the Jets.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Why do you think it's ok to invite the top Scots club into our league and decimate theirs in the process?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Both the Premier League and subsequent “non super league” European competitions would be much more exciting for real fans without the same old teams winning them. The plastics can have their pathetic super league to **** over whilst the rest of us get on with the proper stuff.

This is how I feel about it. We can dream of winning it instead of maybe finishing 7th. And a bit less tv money, more sensible wages, and fans who buy season tickets being a bigger % of the pie are all good things IMO.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sure they're getting the ENTIRE blame - there is plenty of grasping European filth involved in this grubby, grasping power-grab. But here's the thing - Americans are simply not accustomed to the concept of relegation. The very idea of sporting failure and incompetence actually having a drastic monetary consequence to their "franchise" investment is fearful, destabilising and terrifying to them. So they have bent some oily ears to get rid of that nasty little prospect, which has been the bedrock of our Leagues for 150 years.

They've found a gruesome little cabal of European owners who are complicit, but this is very much an american-driven project. Its got their maple-syrup drenched sticky chubby fingers all over it.

This.

Who knew? ???

We all knew.

(apart from some chaps I have on ignore perhaps)

Fuggem. It won't happen.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Why do you think it's ok to invite the top Scots club into our league and decimate theirs in the process?

In the same way I'm "meh" about Man United leaving the English league, I would be the same about Rangers leaving the Scottish league if I was a Forfar or East Fife fan. I'm not in the "decimate" camp. I'm in the "cheerio, please do close the door on the way out" camp then focus on ourselves. Similar advantages would apply to Scottish football as apply to us getting rid of Man United (whilst feeling sorry for Man United fans at the same time).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well said James Milner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here