Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would the other 14 be able to turn down those offers?

The supadoopa Liverpool Jets come calling the fee goes up accordingly. You appear to forget most of the 14 other EPL clubs have very wealthy owners.

Villa, Sawiris £4.6B
Brighton, Bloom £2.4B
WHU Dildo £460M
Newcastle, Ashley £2,6B
Leicester Srivaddhanaprabha £3B
Everton, Moshiri £2.6B
Wolves, Guangchang £4.6B
Southampton, Jisheng £2.6B
Fulham Khan £6.7B
WBA Lai £2.6B
Burnley £2.60
Palace 2 1/2p

That's just the owners not all the investors
Could go on so yes they can afford to.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
This Perez interview has contained some gems. The 12 all signed on Saturday, it's binding. We are doing this to save football.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
The supadoopa Liverpool Jets come calling the fee goes up accordingly. You appear to forget most of the 14 other EPL clubs have very wealthy owners.

Villa, Sawiris £4.6B
Brighton, Bloom £2.4B
WHU Dildo £460M
Newcastle, Ashley £2,6B
Leicester Srivaddhanaprabha £3B
Everton, Moshiri £2.6B
Wolves, Guangchang £4.6B
Southampton, Jisheng £2.6B
Fulham Khan £6.7B
WBA Lai £2.6B
Burnley £2.60
Palace 2 1/2p

That's just the owners not all the investors
Could go on so yes they can afford to.

Tony Bloom just lost £60 million, in addition to the other millions of pounds he's put into this club. I don't think he would be in a position to turn down £500m, nor should we expect him to.

Furthermore, if for example we sign Bissouma on a new contract £100k per week and then our TV deal drops from £100m per year to £20m per year, then we can no longer afford that contract.

On top of that, the players would want to leave to go and play for clubs that can triple and quadruple their wages.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Tony Bloom just lost £60 million, in addition to the other millions of pounds he's put into this club. I don't think he would be in a position to turn down £500m, nor should we expect him to.

Furthermore, if for example we sign Bissouma on a new contract £100k per week and then our TV deal drops from £100m per year to £20m per year, then we can no longer afford that contract.

On top of that, the players would want to leave to go and play for clubs that can triple and quadruple their wages.

Bloom hasn’t had to write a check for 60m, some yes but a lot of that is accounting losses depreciation etc. Like a lot of wealthy people I expect he has done well in the last year with other things.

But you’re right will he turn down £500m for a player, of course not. That’s my point they come a calling the price goes up. Also players can hanker for a move but who owns the contract? Not everyone can play for the plastic franchises.

Let’s call it a super league tax.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Problem is, the likes of Calvert-Lewin, Maddison would end up at the greedy 6.

We don't know if they would. Going from a big fish on a small pond to a small fish in a big pond?. Not being able to represent their country at international level. You would like to think that Maddison who is on £110k a week (£2,8m a year), only needs so much money, at some point integrity would come into it you would hope.

And how many players will want to leave out of the 6 Scabs clubs?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
We don't know if they would. Going from a big fish on a small pond to a small fish in a big pond?. Not being able to represent their country at international level. You would like to think that Maddison who is on £110k a week (£2,8m a year), only needs so much money, at some point integrity would come into it you would hope.

And how many players will want to leave out of the 6 Scabs clubs?

I am pretty sure a player on £110k would quite like to earn £400k per week, yes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Sometimes football is dull. Some football matches are not mouth-watering fixtures. It’s what makes the glorious moments more glorious. The problem with every game being the biggest game ever – which seems to me the dream of the European Super League – is that it means no game is the biggest game ever.

Jonathan Liew nails it.

I'd also add that some of the most BORING games you will ever see are those between the "biggest" teams, when they cancel each other out. Now just imagine that when you're watching a couple of teams who aren't in the running to qualify for or win anything, but also can't be relegated.

Who the f*ck came up with this tripe ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So in summary you have

1) Some Spanish Clubs who are neck deep in financial trouble.

2) Some Italian clubs who are resentful of the financial success of the Premier League.

3) Some Premier League clubs with American owners who are culturally opposed to the current model, find "qualification" annoying and want a closed shop league.

4) All groups resentful of the "new money" of Chelsea and Man City but have invited them in to keep them quiet and to ensure that a Man City or Chelsea doesn't happen again.

5) Spurs who found themselves in the wrong queue.

Hardly a marriage made in heaven is it ?

Jul 20, 2003
On Bet365 you can get over 1,000/1 on 4 "European elite teams" (Chelsea, Spurs, Man City and Arsenal) losing their next games

I have a fiver on it

Jul 20, 2003
"Sometimes football is dull. Some football matches are not mouth-watering fixtures. It’s what makes the glorious moments more glorious. The problem with every game being the biggest game ever – which seems to me the dream of the European Super League – is that it means no game is the biggest game ever.

Jonathan Liew nails it.

I'd also add that some of the most BORING games you will ever see are those between the "biggest" teams, when they cancel each other out. Now just imagine that when you're watching a couple of teams who aren't in the running to qualify for or win anything, but also can't be relegated.

Who the f*ck came up with this tripe ?

it's football for the Clash Of the Robots film generation. Bigger robots, more expensive robots,bigger explosions .... BUT NO PERIL. Nobody cares about what happens, it's just a crass, vacuous spectacle ... nada, zilch

safe space football ... a money grab that will be promoted as ... you're one of the best, you're ELITE

I am of an age where 'elite' was a brand of condoms. Something to defend yourself against something undesirable or unwanted.

safe space entertainment, no disappointment ... without death there is no life

yacht football ....

It's an over produced Hall and Oates 'b'side as opposed to the first 30seconds of Led Zep 'When The Levee Breaks'

a dozen or so 'super teams' of Harlem Globetrotteresque trotters trotting out dull as ditchwater exhibition football

**** em

**** em in the arse with the old pair of Adidas Predators that my work colleague left in my car boot when he got a job as a stockbroker/ letting agent/ ponce ... he'd like the idea because he was (and probably still is) a ****..

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So in summary you have

1) Some Spanish Clubs who are neck deep in financial trouble.

2) Some Italian clubs who are resentful of the financial success of the Premier League.

3) Some Premier League clubs with American owners who are culturally opposed to the current model, find "qualification" annoying and want a closed shop league.

4) All groups resentful of the "new money" of Chelsea and Man City but have invited them in to keep them quiet and to ensure that a Man City or Chelsea doesn't happen again.

5) Spurs who found themselves in the wrong queue.

Hardly a marriage made in heaven is it ?

Till they get the German teams, PSG/French teams - I’m still 50/50 it will happen.

If they get those, it’s happening.

Jan 5, 2011
If football can´t sort this mess out itself then government needs to step in. Hit the big six where it really hurts. Attack their business model. Why should the UK hand out work permits to foreign players enabling them to play in a super league that hurts English football? Without scores of imported players in the six English teams the super league isn't going to have an attractive product to sell to an international TV market. Just threatening to cut back on allowed imports should be enough stop the whole farce dead in its tracks.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It'll all end in tears when Liverpool and Man Utd relocate and play "home games" in India and China. Name changes and kit changes on their way eventually and little left of their heritage.

Meanwhile the remainder of English and European teams will prosper - although with less income and lower player wages - in the existing competitions while the globetrotters play their dull exhibition matches with no jeopardy.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
They can go and take the expensive players and wages with them as that is a huge part of the problem and a driver behind the greed. If it resulted in a reset of a more competitive and financially sustainable PL with lower prices for fans that would be a great thing for the English game. The existing model is driving higher salaries and money into the lower league putting clubs at risk it’s about time the whole model was reassessed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here