Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The scab clubs are ‘ transferring’ their European cups and EUFA Cups I’ve to the ESL. So Real start with 13 Super League wins.

They’re all bloody mad.

Arsenal, City, and Spurs start with 0

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fair point. The lack of condemnation from our club (so far) is embarrassing

No, people should take a fecking chill pill, the "they gotta condemn it now NOW NOW!!!" is impatient and infantile. The 14 other clubs are having a meeting tomorrow, that clubs are not saying a whole lot before that is neither weird or embarrasing.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
I've not ploughed through this gargantuan thread so this has probably already been said, but after the initial anger subsided (mainly due to the self-serving bullshit coming out of the mouths of the likes of Perez, like we're all STUPID or something), I've found I am actually quite ambivalent about it.

Maybe the domestic top flight needs a shake-up. Sure its fun when we occasionally give one of those gilded "Big 6" tossers a bloody nose, but I've always found the games against the mid-tables and those in and around us far more enthralling, because you're not fighting for scraps, and it feels more important.

Let them go off and play in their own safe, dull, sterile little mega-bucks bubble, where half the season or more will be rendered utterly meaningless for most of the clubs involved. I certainly won't be watching. Here, the PL could turn into the new Championship, with issues at the top and bottom going on all season long, right down to the wire.

I don't get a hard-on any more if we're playing Liverpool or Man U. I don't even bother checking when we're playing them. So f*ck em, let them go. No biggee. We'll get a more vibrant PL, maybe with finances downwardly re-adjusted accordingly (being as it won't be seen as the "elite" competition any more). In the long run, this could be very healthy for the 14+EFL clubs left behind.

And I'll be as oblivious to the European Super League as I have become to the Champions League. I simply will not give a shit about it, particularly with its dismal safety-net format for "The Founders". BTW - the fact that SPURS of all clubs have gotten themselves into that rancid little group of 12 is the most hilarious thing about it. I've seen it described as like Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards being invited to join The Avengers.

Bollocks to the lot of them. Bring it on.

That's a very single-minded view. Do you not have any consideration for the millions of fans of the "top 6 " who don't want their club to be in a ESL any more than you want our club to be?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A question, why are American owners getting the entire blame?'

European football experts in interviews today said that Agnelli of Juventus and Perez of Real have been the driving force. Their clubs face unprecedented financial pressures, for once much reduced transfer spending power.

UEFA’s Ceferin was particularly critical of Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli, who have both stepped down from their roles at Uefa.

Agnelli was also a long-time president of the European Club Association (ECA), from which all 12 clubs involved in the ESL have resigned.

"He's probably one of the biggest disappointments, or the biggest disappointment of all," said Ceferin.

"I don't want to be too personal. But the fact is that I've never seen a person that would lie so many times, so persistently that he did was unbelievable.

"I spoke with him also on Saturday afternoon. He said, 'These are all only rumours. Don't worry, nothing is going on'. And then he said, 'I'll call you in one hour'. And he turned off the phone."

On Woodward, Ceferin added: "I didn't have much contact with him but he called me last Thursday in the evening saying that he's very satisfied with the [Champions League] reforms, that he fully supports the reforms, and that the only thing he would like to speak about is about financial fair play.

"And obviously he already signed something else."

I'm not sure they're getting the ENTIRE blame - there is plenty of grasping European filth involved in this grubby, grasping power-grab. But here's the thing - Americans are simply not accustomed to the concept of relegation. The very idea of sporting failure and incompetence actually having a drastic monetary consequence to their "franchise" investment is fearful, destabilising and terrifying to them. So they have bent some oily ears to get rid of that nasty little prospect, which has been the bedrock of our Leagues for 150 years.

They've found a gruesome little cabal of European owners who are complicit, but this is very much an american-driven project. Its got their maple-syrup drenched sticky chubby fingers all over it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's a very single-minded view. Do you not have any consideration for the millions of fans of the "top 6 " who don't want their club to be in a ESL any more than you want our club to be?

Where did I say that, exactly ? I'm sure they don't either, but I can't speak for them. I'm sure they're fine about it when their clubs are regularly in Europe and paying their players £300k a week. You soon hear about it when they're not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure they're getting the ENTIRE blame - there is plenty of grasping European filth involved in this grubby, grasping power-grab. But here's the thing - Americans are simply not accustomed to the concept of relegation. The very idea of sporting failure and incompetence actually having a drastic monetary consequence to their "franchise" investment is fearful, destabilising and terrifying to them. So they have bent some oily ears to get rid of that nasty little prospect, which has been the bedrock of our Leagues for 150 years.

They've found a gruesome little cabal of European owners who are complicit, but this is very much an american-driven project. Its got their maple-syrup drenched sticky chubby fingers all over it.

You’ve identified the two different aspects I have.

The American sporting model of franchises and no relegations.

Seized upon by some owners with vast club debt (Barca, Agnelli, Glazers, Levy/Lewis) and some owners wanting to maximise cash inflows for various reasons (Abramovich, FSG, Mansour, Kroenke).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A question, why are American owners getting the entire blame?

European football experts in interviews today said that Agnelli of Juventus and Perez of Real have been the driving force. Their clubs face unprecedented financial pressures, for once much reduced transfer spending power.

UEFA’s Ceferin was particularly critical of Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli, who have both stepped down from their roles at Uefa.

Agnelli was also a long-time president of the European Club Association (ECA), from which all 12 clubs involved in the ESL have resigned.

"He's probably one of the biggest disappointments, or the biggest disappointment of all," said Ceferin.

"I don't want to be too personal. But the fact is that I've never seen a person that would lie so many times, so persistently that he did was unbelievable.

"I spoke with him also on Saturday afternoon. He said, 'These are all only rumours. Don't worry, nothing is going on'. And then he said, 'I'll call you in one hour'. And he turned off the phone."

On Woodward, Ceferin added: "I didn't have much contact with him but he called me last Thursday in the evening saying that he's very satisfied with the [Champions League] reforms, that he fully supports the reforms, and that the only thing he would like to speak about is about financial fair play.

"And obviously he already signed something else."

Woodward is the Glazier puppet. Agree though about Italy, and the same could be said about Spain.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’ve ruminated on this all day, and if it’s possible to be both angry and disappointed at the same time; well - I am.

I’m reminded of when Rainbow sacked Graham Bonnet, in a cynical attempt to go even more commercial and finally break the US market... in walks JLT with his commercial hair and ‘appeal...’ yes he could sing but by God I knew it was over when I heard Street of Dreams ... yeah Ritchie got it wrong, and you know what ? It didn’t even work...

Ultimately we were left with a band who put commercial success ahead of art, but lost their essence and soul with it...

Yep as sure as the transition from Dio to Bonnet was stark, this was a saccharin bridge too far.

Shame says I, on the ‘big 6’ and I although I can forgive Ritchie, I’m unsure many could forgive Death Alley Driver.

So much dry ice, it boggles the mind.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Millions?

We're on about real fans the ones that attend and support the club. Yes their real fans can jump and down if they want and I'll support them, well nod my disapproval.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Isn't Maple syrup Canadian? Maybe Fat burger, gun totting hands or something?

I agree FWIW. Let them bugger off, chuck them out and reset the whole thing. The Trafford devil's can piss off to Beijing if they want as that's the end game one way or another.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Wasn't it the Venky's of Blackburn Rovers fame, who bought the club not knowing that a team could get relegated.
Relegation and promotion, is the very essence of British football. Just look at us and Bolton, where we are now, were15 years ago, and could be in 15 years time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here