Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Ridiculous statement. Why should he and his family suffer financially (no matter how rich they are).

I’m totally against the ESL but I wouldn’t give up a single penny to show my disagreement with it.

To be fair, I think he said enough to show that he is a man of integrity.

Integrity has a value. Sometimes people have to take a hit to earn or keep it (not you obviously, unless you happen to be employed by one of the clubs involved).

Not that I'm suggesting he should resign on the spot, but if he (or the other managers involved) lead their teams in the new competition then they are accepting it. On some level I'd have more respect for somebody who came out and said "I think it's a brilliant idea because I'm being paid millions of pounds".

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rubbish ..... They would get sick of it if they had thugs outside their house every day shouting abuse .... neighbors complaining. Being ostracized and pointed out when they go for a meal. Being the 'enemy'

It's not particiulary pleasant but it would get old pretty quickly. They already have enough money. It's just not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Your missing the point, they probably live with high security anyway, and don’t eat where plebs like me or ordinary joe goes.
They eat in high fluting restaurants that are wall to wall full of people who feck joe public over to gain their wealth.
Anyway he is probably all on board for this breakaway and Tottenham being part of it, he will then reap the rewards and sell the club to American investors.

He won’t care if there’s protests, do you not think he’s thought of that, he’s weighed that option up. This has been put out into the public now, because fans can’t really demonstrate, because in two weeks time fickle fans will be sold a pup, and a big fat cheque will be in his bank account.

It’s actually boring and predictable, much like the Premier League.
Top 6 this, Top 6 that, ah just do one.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m totally against the ESL but I wouldn’t give up a single penny to show my disagreement with it.

How sad.

So far as Klopp. Principle, integrity. He would be held up as the messiah of all football fans.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Presumably, UEFA and national FAs will also sanction any registered match officials from officiating in any ESL matches which means they will probably have rubbish officials from S.E Asia or the Middle East which would add another dimension to the fixtures. Any scab Refs and Linos would undoubtedly be prevented from officiating matches in their respective countries although if they are paid handsomely it might leave a shortage of officials and even more chaos in domestic leagues.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Think integrity is lost on you mate.

Not at all.

I would never pay money to watch an ESL game and I would never do anything to enrich those clubs that have joined the ESL.

I am absolutely against it.

But why should I and by extension my family (or any individual) lose money for supporting this view.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Rubbish ..... They would get sick of it if they had thugs outside their house every day shouting abuse .... neighbors complaining. Being ostracized and pointed out when they go for a meal. Being the 'enemy'

It's not particiulary pleasant but it would get old pretty quickly. They already have enough money. It's just not worth it.

The biggest problem is that most of the Greedy 6 owners are American and will run their ‘Franchise’ from the States. The only way to really affect them will be to hit them in the pocket. To do that people will need to threaten any potential sponsors with boycott and bad publicity. I expect that JP Morgan are looking at the public and political response to the announcement quite closely. To have the Uk and French political leaders both making statements about the ESL shows that this isn’t going away any time soon.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I hope the 14 vote to kick the scavenger 6 out of the league tomorrow.

This is the third time the same clubs have tried this on, if some deal is cobbled together to let them stay and remain in the European cup, then in a few years we’ll go through the same thing again.

Kick out the scavenger 6.

I prefer to call them the Sca6s

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Not just today but other post previously you want to go on and on.

I'm certainly not dumb and I ****ing know where the money comes from. It comes from advertising and if no one watches the advertising goes.

You maybe dumbarse enough to watch this crap. Fair play if you're that shallow

Maybe the point your differing on is that it’s no longer about us the fans that actually attend games, we’ve become utterly irrelevant to the top revenue generating six teams. Our S/T and matchday spend is peanuts compared to the potential of the Asian & American markets.

They have announced this knowing full well it will mightily piss us all off and they couldn’t give a stuff.

They described us as “legacy fans” FFS.

Lockdown has proved to them that tv fans couldn’t really give a stuff about fans actually attending the game, so long as a suitable fake sound track is played.

Let’s be honest, we are now, whatever club you support in the EPL, utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things in 2021.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why are you being abusive towards him? All a bit unnecessary.

Can you not see he's actually on your side. He's just explaining the business model these scum bags work to, and that that business model has no regard whatsoever for any of us real fans that actually go to games.

Previously abusive towards me think he may only understand that.

I don't think anyone doesn't understand the business model. Mega money for staged soccerball from Yank tossers.

The point I made is why worry, **** them off and reset. Brighton will still be playing football and perhaps a more sensible model will appear that's more sustainable, leaving the tossers to their theatre of dross

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Putting my disgust at such an abhorrent idea to one side for just a moment, what I don't quite understand is what is possibly better about this for any fan of those clubs to possibly like?

Scenario 1: ESL teams get what they want and remain in domestic competitions and host ESL in midweek. Well, they couldn't possibly compete in the Champions League at the same time due to time, so what we basically have is a worse, less exciting version of the Champions League.

Scenario 2: ESL teams are expelled from all domestic and other European competitions, so they only play in the ESL in perpetuity forever against other English, Italian and Spanish teams. How frigging boring?

I'm really enjoying the coming together of the football community in standing united, condemning this. I just hope we all maintain our resolve until it's dead and buried.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The biggest problem is that most of the Greedy 6 owners are American and will run their ‘Franchise’ from the States. The only way to really affect them will be to hit them in the pocket. To do that people will need to threaten any potential sponsors with boycott and bad publicity. I expect that JP Morgan are looking at the public and political response to the announcement quite closely. To have the Uk and French political leaders both making statements about the ESL shows that this isn’t going away any time soon.
I worked at JPM when there were protestors outside when the glazers first took over. I remember being locked in the building it was pretty dicey.

JPM didn't care then not convinced they will now. Investment banks like to think they take the high moral high ground these days but as ever money talks !

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Fair point. The lack of condemnation from our club (so far) is embarrassing

We are part of the meeting of the 14 clubs tomorrow after which I’m sure there will be a statement from them as a group. In the circumstance I think to wait until then is sensible. It will be a pivotal moment I think about the stance of the 14 on whether they feel the Greedy 6 should be chucked out of the Premier League.
This is obviously not on the agenda of the Greedy 6 as they want the ESL and ‘their share of the Premier League spoils.’

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The biggest problem is that most of the Greedy 6 owners are American and will run their ‘Franchise’ from the States.

So true.

The only way to really affect them will be to hit them in the pocket. To do that people will need to threaten any potential sponsors with boycott and bad publicity.

Don’t you think they will have paid for analysts work out figures regarding potential loss of sponsorship, and gained sponsorship in new areas such as Asia and all around the world, and have come to the conclusion the benefits out way any losses.

I expect that JP Morgan are looking at the public and political response to the announcement quite closely. To have the Uk and French political leaders both making statements about the ESL shows that this isn’t going away any time soon.

As you have alluded to JP Morgan are a force to be reckoned with and could hold some sway in any potential trade deal, which may deter anything other than some bold words followed by no action as usual from Britain and France when it comes to anything the Americans want.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sorry, I was only joking. Parish loves being interviewed, for any possible duration. Barber was THE class act this time last year on TV and radio on all football lockdown matters and Operation Restart.

Sure but that doesn’t mean they get a free pass now. We support BHA but that doesn’t mean we support everything they do. If we expect Liverpool and Man U fans to oppose this then the least they deserve is for our clubs to join in with the condemnation.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I wonder how many players and managers will resign from their massively paid jobs because of this??

Perhaps none?

But the point is they should. Its quite different to asking us to lose money (although plenty of Brighton fans did during the Archer out years). Klopp almost certainly never needs to work again, if he came out and said he will never manage Liverpool in the Super League he a) will hardly be destitute if he got sacked or resigned b) would be a hero to all football fans c) would show he had integrity and d) would almost certainly guarantee a hugely well paid job elsewhere. Someone like Pogba should do the same. There has to come a point where integrity is more important than money, anyone who has ever been on strike would say the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jonathan Wilson made a good point today.

If they are following the NFL and IPL money spinning franchise, the one thing they have in common is the locations of the teams.

Under no circumstances would either of those leagues have almost half the participants in London and the North West of England.

'Home' games will be moved to Beijing Riyadh New York Dubai et al.
Until such time as the franchise's move permanently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here