Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council Cabinet Meeting on Thursday

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Further to Lewes's press release, members have been asking questions to which I do not know all the answers!

As far as I am aware, there will be a preliminary hearing before a High Court judge to determine if there is a case to answer. That process in itself does not cost much or involve much risk; it also does not involve much time, maybe a few weeks.

Should Lewes pass that hurdle, ie they can show the judge that there is a serious flaw in John Prescott's decision, then there would be a full hearing which would be in several months' time at least, I imagine. But Lewes would also have to be prepared to commit serious money because if they lost then they would have to meet the Goverment's costs. The cost will be their Achilles' heel, I feel (that is if they have legitimate grounds to pursue a judicial review).

So don't panic yet. This may not come to anything much. But we don't know the specific grounds on which LDC are making their challenge - the press release doesn't tell us the detail.

For information, here is a hurried statement I sent to the Argus tonight to meet their deadline.

Tim

Responding to the news that Lewes District Council are to apply to the High
Court for a judicial review of John Prescott's decision, Tim Carder,
chairman of the Albion Supporters' Club, said:

"John Prescott made his decision after 62 days of evidence at a public
inquiry taking all factors into account, so I'm very disappointed that Lewes
District Council, in their private meeting today, chose to try to annul that
planning permission.

"The stadium's opponents have been threatening the Government with court
action for several years now, but they have several hurdles to overcome yet.
It's a comparatively cheap and easy procedure to apply for a preliminary
hearing in the High Court, but they have to convince a judge that they have
legitimate grounds to take the process further to a full hearing.

"Should they succeed then the potential cost of challenging the Government
will start to rocket. Having already spent more than £207,000 on the public
inquiry, I do hope that the district council will debate the commitment of
further considerable public resources openly and in front of their electors,
because I know there is a large majority of people within their area who
would resent such expenditure.

"And, in the unlikely event that they managed to show that the Government's
decision process was flawed, the judge could only require the Deputy Prime
Minister to reconsider his decision; he would not be required to reverse it,
so the stadium is still going to be built.

"I can only conclude, therefore, that Lewes District Council is seeking to
delay the building of the stadium in the hope that the Albion go under for
financial reasons. Despite the lip-service paid in their statement to the
need for a new home for the club, it's obvious to me that they are
anti-Albion and would be happy to see the club go out of business. David
Bellotti, Norman Baker and Lewes District Council: what is it with
Liberal-Democrats?

"Fortunately the club - the board, the staff and the supporters - are strong
and are as one on this. There might be more delay and uncertainty, but we
will come through this, just as we have with every other obstacle put in our
path over the last decade.

"I hope everyone living in Lewes District will make their views known to
their council. I have absolutely no doubt that we will win this final battle
because we are united and we have right on our side."

ENDS

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This is all very irritating. I'll be very interested to hear exactly why they think the ODPM's decision was made incorrectly.

If it is just because they only agree with the conclusions of the first inspector then they are clearly loonies, as speculating that Shoreham Harbour and Sheepcote Valley might be better sites than Falmer is not the same as actually having EVIDENCE that they aren't.

From what I've seen of the two reports it is clear that there are a lot of conflicting planning policies to be sifted and balanced against each other. LDC have been fairly consistent with the supremacy of the AONB policy, and have ignored the exceptions that it contains with regards to national interest and alternative sites (am I right in thinking that Adams Park was built in an AONB, the national interest being something to do with a hospital?).

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not all Liberal Democrats are complete plonkers. Whilst I only voted for them to keep out the Tories (I live in a VERY marginal constituency), I know that Don Foster (Liberal Democrat MP for Bath) is pro-Falmer. Importantly, Foster is LD spokesman on Culture, Media & Sport. He wrote to me a week ago ref the Falmer decision saying "I was delighted to hear that the "Battle of Brighton & Hove Albion" has finally been won. I hope you enjoy many succesful seasons there."

I will be sending him a note tomorrow ref the LDC decision.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can those living in LDC areas start writing to the Local rag (Sussex Express or whatever it is) and to the Argus expressing their disgust that despite a 5 to 1 vote of those living in Lewes wanting Falmer, the District Council continues to throw ratepayers money away.

When it comes to March, when the next Council Tax Rates are announced, the Council will cry that the 10% + increase that they will impose is all down to lack of funds from Central Government. That is clearly Bollocks.

They wouldn't be so keen to throw this money at it if THEY personally had to pay it.

IMO someone living within the LDC area should get in touch with the TV and say they are going to refuse to pay a %age of their Council Tax. - Between us we 'll cover any fine, and they'll end up in Jail for 24 hours max- if it ever got that far.

It would surely get attention to the fact that they have not consulted their electorate on this matter.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Curious Orange said:

From what I've seen of the two reports it is clear that there are a lot of conflicting planning policies to be sifted and balanced against each other. LDC have been fairly consistent with the supremacy of the AONB policy, and have ignored the exceptions that it contains with regards to national interest and alternative sites (am I right in thinking that Adams Park was built in an AONB, the national interest being something to do with a hospital?).

But surely it isnt - quoting from JP's letter (which is attached to my pinboard)

"there are no realistic alternative sites where the need for a stadium could be met... these factors outweigh the harm that would be caused to the AONB and considers that this would amount to exceptional circumstances to meet the tests in p2 of PPS7 for major development in an AONB"

If it amounts to exceptional circumstances, then surely there is no argument?

I HATE nimby's so so SO much - im getting all ANGRY about them

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Can't someone ask for a Judicial Review of how a private meeting of a small group of councillors can commit LDC to the expense of a Judicial Review? And then not be prepared to discuss it in public?

:angry:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ccider said:
Can't someone ask for a Judicial Review of how a private meeting of a small group of councillors can commit LDC to the expense of a Judicial Review? And then not be prepared to discuss it in public?

I would imagine the public outcry within Lewes will stop their elected leaders in their tracks.

SURELY, no-one would accept their local councils spending that sort of money on this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gritt23 said:
I would imagine the public outcry within Lewes will stop their elected leaders in their tracks.

SURELY, no-one would accept their local councils spending that sort of money on this.
Quite right.
I think its of PARAMOUNT importance now that this issue is brought out in the open, and that every single person in the district of Lewes is made fully aware of what their council is about to do. Letters to the Argus, flyers posted through doors, pinned on lamp posts, public messageboards, basically EVERYTHING we can think of, because this is a f***ing DISGRACE.

I'll certainly be emailing everyone at work tomorrow, there's a fair few who live in the Lewes area, and even if they don't they might know people who do.

Strap yerselves in peeps. We've got a NEW fight on our hands - and its a REMATCH

RRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
There is a "Call In" procedure in LDC's constitution where other councillors can ask for the decision to be called-in and reviewed before any action is taken. This has to happen within 3 days.
Are there any friendly councillors at LDC who could be asked to do this from an LDC resident?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
We need some OFFICIAL DIRECTION from the club

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
But surely it isnt - quoting from JP's letter (which is attached to my pinboard)

"there are no realistic alternative sites where the need for a stadium could be met... these factors outweigh the harm that would be caused to the AONB and considers that this would amount to exceptional circumstances to meet the tests in p2 of PPS7 for major development in an AONB"

If it amounts to exceptional circumstances, then surely there is no argument?
Assuming this to be the case, they would have to prove that the stadium was NOT an exceptional case. Bearing in mind that that's an opinion in line both government planning policy AND urban regenaration policy, LDC's lawyers are going to have a tough old time getting that one to stick. I hope for LDC taxpayers' case, that they are operating on a no-win / no-fee basis.

LDC agree with the first two inspectors, but disagree with the 'second' Inspector (if you catch my drift). Why? Because they don't fall into line with their wishes. NO OTHER REASON.

Again, Lewes still believe Sheepcote Valley and Toad's Hole Valley to be better sites. Those opinions in themselves are not enough to force a Judicial Review. Doubtless they will quote a planning policy which they believe the ODPM has not followed. And naturally, the ODPM will teel them in the High Court that they are talking bollocks.

As Lord Bracknell said, the Government will mount a very keen defence of any legal challenge. They DO NOT like their policies to be challenged and overturned in the High Court. Not one bit.

Also, they are not allowed to present any new evidence. If they come in and say some bollocks like 'oh, the stadium will bring 30,000 cars every day,' the judge won't say 'prove it, where's your evidence?', he'll say 'that wasn't in the original inquiry, so that's inadmissable...'

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
This has got nothing to do with the club.

The is Lewes District Council v The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.
True, its not strictly speaking "our fight".

However, it'd be useful to pool some ideas about how to raise the awareness of the people of Lewes. Most of them probably couldn't give a toss one way or the other about the stadium - but I'm pretty sure the majority of them certainly WILL give a toss about what their council tax is being spent on, and won't be too enamoured at the prospect of a mounting legal bill on top of whats already been spunked up the wall.

Someone mentioned a march. Dunno about that, but I don't mind standing around Lewes High St with a petition and chatting about this issue with anyone who cares to listen, with a view to getting some signitures to present to those friggers at the LDC.

Anyone wanna hold my hand ?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
What worries me is that I can imagine a judge, who has a nice big house somewhere and who doesn't know what a football is, thinking that he ought to help these poor people whose lovely village is threatened by a bunch of oiks.

I know the law is not supposed to work this way, but I'm worried that some judges do.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
LDC will be hearing from me tomorrow, don't worry I will be gentle:lolol:
And all this money the Nimby's at Falmer have spend on their side of the inquiry, wouldn't it of been cheaper for them just to move out of that bloody place and move to fcuking mars.

Easy 10 said:
True, its not strictly speaking "our fight".

However, it'd be useful to pool some ideas about how to raise the awareness of the people of Lewes. Most of them probably couldn't give a toss one way or the other about the stadium - but I'm pretty sure the majority of them certainly WILL give a toss about what their council tax is being spent on, and won't be too enamoured at the prospect of a mounting legal bill on top of whats already been spunked up the wall.

Someone mentioned a march. Dunno about that, but I don't mind standing around Lewes High St with a petition and chatting about this issue with anyone who cares to listen, with a view to getting some signitures to present to those friggers at the LDC.

Anyone wanna hold my hand ?

If I'm not working I'll give you a hand...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here