Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council Cabinet Meeting on Thursday

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
chip said:
I suspect that they will claim that the decision was decided on political rather than planning considerations and was not therefore rational (in a planning sense). That may well be a fair point.
If you read Prescott's letter outlining the reasons for granting approval, you will realise that that was not the case. The ODPM's solicitors would have been through the rationale behind the decision with a fine-tooth comb - several times. And it was done with plannign reasons in mind. After all, why do you think the decision takes so long? They have to be - if you will excuse the phrase - bomb-proof.

Besides which, if that is Lewes DC's opinion (that is was a political decision), they are going to have to prove it. I wouldn't fancy their chances if this were the case.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
dougdeep said:
Isn't it the county council that does the roads?

Indeed the same council who have approved the Incinerator at Newhaven - now is this being challenged by LDC or anyone else for that matter.
I would have thought this may have diverted their energies somewhat.

Irony seems to rule these days.:lolol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
perseus said:
This might be a repeat source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4468280.stm

I am apt not to comment. But Dick Knight gave them the opportunity to discuss the best way forward. The opponents (just the bit players, not the real opponents?) have chosen to be arrogant (and I think stupid) enough to play hardball.

They can go hang themselves without any help from anybody, and pay for the privilege!

That story one again gives the impression we're planning to put the stadium in the centre of the village (where the A27 is?) and includes a picture of the pond for added effect. I was outraged enough to sent a complaint via the website as follows:

"Your article 'Legal challenge over stadium plan' shows a picture of the pond in Falmer village and states that the villagers object to the stadium being built IN their village. Please be advised that the stadium site is NOT in the village of Falmer, it is in Moulsecoomb in Brighton next to Brighton University, the railway station and the main A27 trunk road. It is currently a muddy field and some university buildings, and thus your article is very misleading."

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Strike said:
Agree there did not know West Hoathly, was under Wealden, thought it was Mid Sussex (it being under West Sussex)? Correct me mate on that one.

I'm down by Weirwood Reservoir, about 0.9 mile over the boundary, so I come under Wealden and East Sussex. Sharpthorne is actually my nearest village and the parish I live in, but I thought Sharpthorne Seagull (SS) would sound a bit unfortunate. On my main point, however, Wealden is an excellent council (even provide a small rubbish lorry to come down my lane for no extra charge), while Lewes is well... even if it were not for their ridiculous attitude over Falmer. I won't swear on here.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
sully said:
That story one again gives the impression we're planning to put the stadium in the centre of the village (where the A27 is?) and includes a picture of the pond for added effect. I was outraged enough to sent a complaint via the website as follows:

"Your article 'Legal challenge over stadium plan' shows a picture of the pond in Falmer village and states that the villagers object to the stadium being built IN their village. Please be advised that the stadium site is NOT in the village of Falmer, it is in Moulsecoomb in Brighton next to Brighton University, the railway station and the main A27 trunk road. It is currently a muddy field and some university buildings, and thus your article is very misleading."

Good job. No pictures of ponds on there now. :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, well played Sully.
Pity about the "some Falmer residents objected strongly to having a stadium built in their village" line that still rounds off that report. No wonder so many people are so ignorant and misinformed about this.

:rolleyes:

If the Councillors
debate the decision at Council, the action is agreed by Councillors, and the Chief Finance Officer and Legal rep sanction the financial and legality of the decision the Council will be OK to undertake the action. But if these processes are not followed for what could be a major financial cost, the Councillors can get themselves into trouble. This may not be the old surcharge but they do have to show financial responsibility ( I hav'ent the actual legal wording at hand) and due diligence. And also spend ratepayers monies responsibly and within financial parameters set by the Government. For a small Council like Lewes they do not have much flexibility.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How much is it going to cost the Lewes ratepayers?

One day (or less) in Court for the preliminaries. Then it could get thrown out as being vexatious (my word).

I like that word VEXATIOUS ! Egg on the faces of any politicians that backed the move.

The single Judge could decide that the legal point has merits. Another day or two in Court. Then the egg will not stick so much. The costs may? have been exaggerated?

Most of the objectors have decided to abide by the decision including the Council for Rural England, and the Green party of Brighton have said in their manifesto that they will abide by the decision. Lewes DC are on their own now?

If every time the decision went against politicians they cannot go to Court every time. the system will not work.

VEXATIOUS they are!

The opponents of the scheme (not me) have had ample opportunities to state their case. They are being DISINGENUOUS with the truth misrepresenting an area of crappy ground for pristine downland.

Dick Knights two responses are interesting.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
DK:

(1)
Brighton and Hove Albion chairman Dick Knight has appealed to Falmer residents to work with the club to ensure the stadium does not have an adverse impact on their lives rather than pursue judicial proceedings.

(2)
"Myself and Martin Perry are very pragmatic and we don't count our chickens. It does not surprise me they are going to lodge this appeal. There is no guarantee that the judge will say there is a justified reason for lodging it anyway.

"Why don't they actually name a better site and tell me where it is. We would be only too happy to go there."

My comment:

If the opponents are bing deliberately vexatious and troublesome, there is no point talking to them. They will only continue to be even more vexatious.

They have been like that from the start and not only Lewes DC, the Falmer NIMBYs but the South Downs Conservation Board as well.

I am sure that G Taylor and the Green party and Brighton Councillors will be more realistic ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here