Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council Cabinet Meeting on Thursday

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
True, its not strictly speaking "our fight".

However, it'd be useful to pool some ideas about how to raise the awareness of the people of Lewes. Most of them probably couldn't give a toss one way or the other about the stadium - but I'm pretty sure the majority of them certainly WILL give a toss about what their council tax is being spent on, and won't be too enamoured at the prospect of a mounting legal bill on top of whats already been spunked up the wall.

Someone mentioned a march. Dunno about that, but I don't mind standing around Lewes High St with a petition and chatting about this issue with anyone who cares to listen, with a view to getting some signitures to present to those friggers at the LDC.

Anyone wanna hold my hand ?
That idea might just work.

Not that I am trying to duck out of it, but it would be best to have it done by people living in the LDC area, of which I am not one. This is a Lewes issue, and I would be a bit uncomfortable with the notion of interfering in a situation which does not directly affect me. (Of course - it may do indirectly).

My sister, however, lives in Peacehaven - and she knows how to KICK ARSE.

LDC might have said they would not interfere with another council's planning policy, then do a complete 180 and spend £300,000 in order to insist that the city of Brighton & Hove come to a standstill - effectively destroying it as a commercial centre, but I for one will not be such a hypocrite.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Duncan H said:
What worries me is that I can imagine a judge, who has a nice big house somewhere and who doesn't know what a football is, thinking that he ought to help these poor people whose lovely village is threatened by a bunch of oiks.

I know the law is not supposed to work this way, but I'm worried that some judges do.
Thankfully, the issues are about planning, not football.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I've just seen a couple of Grey haired middle class wax jacket wearing Falmer NIMBYs celebrating the LDC decision on South Today. What a couple of smug looking dozy bitches they looked opening their champagne!!!! Makes my blood boil, I think I may just have to go and simply burn the f***ing village to the ground!

Look you Falmer fuckers, you lost, it's that simple. Get over it and move on. This has got stuff all to do with a stadium now and is just a small minded and misguided attempt to delay the inevitable in order to personally piss me off, well ha f***ing ha you've succeeded, I'm duly pissed off!! Mind you, not half as pissed off as you are going to be when i drive to Falmer village tonight in the wee hours, set off a couple of firework air mortars and sound my car horn before wheel spinning away into the night. i might even take a piss in your precious pond!:glare:

Ok I've calmed down now!

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
If I'm not working I'll give you a hand...
Cool.
I'm not a Lewes resident though, so as TLO says, it doesn't directly affect my tax bill. But I don't see the harm though, if we can get a small group of us together one Saturday, just to collect some signatures and take the time to talk about it to a few bods.

Would have to be a Saturday for me, but we've got a few free ones coming up hav't we. Do we need permission from anyone to do this kind of thing ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Cool.
I'm not a Lewes resident though, so as TLO says, it doesn't directly affect my tax bill. But I don't see the harm though, if we can get a small group of us together one Saturday, just to collect some signatures and take the time to talk about it to a few bods.

Would have to be a Saturday for me, but we've got a few free ones coming up hav't we. Do we need permission from anyone to do this kind of thing ?
Probably wise to drop a line to The History Man or The Henfield One, just in case it clashes with anything they intend to do. (Unlikely)

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What gets me about all this waste of money as well as all the hassle and delay it is causing the club is that Lewes cannot even run its services properly. I have regularly visited Lewes in the past and usually found the streets to be full of rubbish. This in our county's capital and many visitors' first impression of the county. One time I visited Lewes a week before Christmas and found the High Street covered in kebab wrappings and vomit from the night before (it was a Saturday morning). The council workers did not turn up until 10 am to clear up. I have been in Switzerland for its national day and the streets in towns there are full of rubbish when everyone goes home at about 3 am. If you go back into the town at 7 am the whole place is spotless. Contrast this with Wealden, my main place of residence, where we have the 3rd most efficient council in the country, free parking in every town and a very good street cleaning service. How Lewes can waste this money is beyond me.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blimey what a difference a month makes!

Last month we were granted Falmer and we won at Selhurst....................................:angry:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
West Hoathly Seagull said:
What gets me about all this waste of money as well as all the hassle and delay it is causing the club is that Lewes cannot even run its services properly. I have regularly visited Lewes in the past and usually found the streets to be full of rubbish. This in our county's capital and many visitors' first impression of the county. One time I visited Lewes a week before Christmas and found the High Street covered in kebab wrappings and vomit from the night before (it was a Saturday morning). The council workers did not turn up until 10 am to clear up. I have been in Switzerland for its national day and the streets in towns there are full of rubbish when everyone goes home at about 3 am. If you go back into the town at 7 am the whole place is spotless. Contrast this with Wealden, my main place of residence, where we have the 3rd most efficient council in the country, free parking in every town and a very good street cleaning service. How Lewes can waste this money is beyond me.

Agree there did not know West Hoathly, was under Wealden, thought it was Mid Sussex (it being under West Sussex)? Correct me mate on that one.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Large One said:
This is a Lewes issue, and I would be a bit uncomfortable with the notion of interfering in a situation which does not directly affect me.

As you rightly said-LDC have no qualms about interfering in another City's planning procedures so I will have no problem in making life very uncomfortable for their council. It's time these frigging toerags were made accountable publicly for the public funds they are wasting to appease 200 people who still believe they are living in an idyllic village:rolleyes:

Although this is not technically the club's fight (or ours) we have to be ready and co-ordinated which the club and FFA have done so well in the past.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Probably wise to drop a line to The History Man or The Henfield One, just in case it clashes with anything they intend to do. (Unlikely)
Good thinking Batman.
I've sent a couple of PM's to see if this idea is a goer - don't want to tread on any toes if the FFA team have already got this covered or whatever.

KSA, if we're going to do this thing then Saturday 3rd or 10th would be ok with me, being as the Albion are away. Would either of those be ok with you ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nice one. I'll just see what the FFA guys reckon then, and we'll take it from there squire. Fookin freezing down here now, so I'm offski.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This might be a repeat source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4468280.stm

I am apt not to comment. But Dick Knight gave them the opportunity to discuss the best way forward. The opponents (just the bit players, not the real opponents?) have chosen to be arrogant (and I think stupid) enough to play hardball.

They can go hang themselves without any help from anybody, and pay for the privilege!

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I suspect that they will claim that the decision was decided on political rather than planning considerations and was not therefore rational (in a planning sense). That may well be a fair point.

No point in getting angry about the actions of LDC, £300000 is not very much for a bunch of politicians to waste is it? The appeals against licensing changes are costing councils a fortune at the present time. How much have WSCC spent fighting the National Park? And how overdue is that decision? Below is from Falmer Replies:

7. B&H Albion – B&H could lose its labour MPs if a stadium at Falmer is not allowed.

Falmer PC – This is a serious attempt to politicise the Falmer issue and the planning system. It is a discredit to those, including some B&H MPs, who are suggesting it. Football fans vastly overestimate their influence on local or national elections and have tried this sort of blackmail unsuccessfully before. In the 2003 B&H local elections the Labour Party, who have been blind supporters of a stadium at Falmer, lost many seats and their control of the council. The Green Party, who oppose a stadium at Falmer, won a record number of seats. Local and national electors, many not interested in football, have many more serious concerns, council tax, reductions in local services, hospitals, education, Iraq war, pensions etc.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Redhead said:
I know where two LDC councillors live i'm just to write WE WANT FALMER in Shit on their front doors

I hope it's a runny one or you might be there a while.

At the end of the day LDC can commit all this money, get the go ahead and win but it is still only telling the ODPM to review their decision. Not change it or re-open the inquiry, just re-assess. JP is still perfectly within his rights to stick to his guns.

Sorry Lewes residents but I hope he sticks it to them royally. Shame he can't pick out individuals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here