Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council Cabinet Meeting on Thursday

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
seagullion said:
seeing as ldc have not even had the decency to reply to my objection, i am considering trying to get their attention in another way.........i am seriously thinking about cancelling my direct debit for my council tax payments and letting them take me to court were i can publicly state my reason for witholding payment. what dya reckon.........good idea, stupid idea?

The best idea would be to withhold part of the payment. Write to them and tell them that you've calculated that it is the element that they are wasting on a cause not supported by their electorate. Not paying at all would probably land you in bigger trouble, but up to you!

Make sure you keep the cash somewhere, though, as I guess you'd have to pay it eventually - after you'd made your point.

Get all your mates to do the same.

I've written to non-football supporting friends in the LDC area asking them if they're happy for the council to spend their money in this way and to object if they're not. It would be good to try to get a feel for what the people of Lewes really think somehow.

Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Sorry guys. They'll get a Judicial Review. They'll say it was irrational to overrule the first reports.

But surely that would be querying Prescott's original decision to overrule two inspectors. I can see some logic and value in that argument but preumably the time limit to review such a decision has long since passed.
Given that he made the decision to overrule and then asked for an enquiry to determine if there was any site more suitable, and that the Inspector's report clearly states that nowhere is, I don't see how a JR can succeed.
That doesn't mean they won't apply for one, and will probably get at least the initial stages. But I still have serious doubts that sufficient people will put up serious dosh that will lose if the JR is not successful.
And even if they do get a JR, and even if it is successful, it's my understanding that all that does is to hand it back to JP effectively saying think again, are you sure. And I'm quite sure he's most likely to say OK, I've thought it through again and I've come to the conclusion that my original decision was correct.
All that will have happened is that we will have wasted yet more time, the applicants for a JR will have lost serious dosh, and a few lawyers will be richer. I'm in the wrong job!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
roz said:
The following press release from Lewes District Council has just popped up in my inbox:

-starts-
Falmer Decision Flawed

John Prescott's decision to grant planning permission for a new football stadium at Falmer is to be challenged in the High Court because it conflicts with his own government's planning guidance designed to protect Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty against this sort of development and because a number of important planning issues were either overlooked, or were not properly considered.
Well that's bollocks for a start. There are clauses in national and local planning guidelines which allow for exceptional circumstances. The same sort of extenuating circumstances the Lewes 'expert' was trying to bamboozle the Public Inquiry with when attempting to get the Inspector to agree that somewhere other than Falmer was suitable. In the end, his summary of Lewes' planning policy made it sound utter gibberish.

When they say 'not properly considered', they mean 'not properly considered in our favour'.

roz said:
Before deciding to challenge the decision, the Cabinet of Lewes District Council took independent legal advice from a barrister. They also took account of the fact that two independent and highly experienced Planning Inspectors recommended against the Falmer site.
When will they learn that (1) it was a RECOMMENDATION, and not binding in law, and (2) those Inspectors chiefly dimissed Falmer believing somewhere else was better?

However, they were not able to make that decision because they were not in possession of the full facts. The second Inspector, however, was possession of all the facts about the other sites, and after reading his report LEWES DISTRICT COUNCIL WANTS TO CHOKE THE CITY OF BRIGHTON & HOVE FOR 100 YEARS until it can't cope any more.

Still, this is now a matter of Lewes District Council v. HM Government. Who would your money be on?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Duncan H said:
What's the timescale from now on? Will it take
months, or years? Can the Albion start building while it is going on?
As I understand it, these thing are usually sorted out pretty quickly. I was told that, if a court hearing (Judicial Review) was granted, it can be heard within 30 days.

But I could be wrong.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
You just knew there would be another twist in the tail :nono:

Lets hope this ends up costing the fuckers millions when they lose :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think it's time for me to pop around Melanie CUNTress's to give her a dagger up the clitoris.:angry: :angry:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
_wilka_ said:

Lets hope this ends up costing the fuckers millions when they lose :angry: :angry: :angry:

I hope not, we are the f**kers in question. :(

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
_wilka_ said:

Cheers mate:angry: :angry:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
_wilka_ said:

Sadly, that will mean a great many people who actually want the stadium will end up paying.

I hope the electorate make those responsible pay at the ballot box.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
I've just ripped out a bathroom suite but the tip is closed............mmmmmm....plenty of room in that pond.

Anyone got an old mattress that needs dumping?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For what it's worth, the Albion said, quite a long time ago, that if Prescott said YES, that they would fully expect a Judicial challenge, in whatever form it took. ot because the ODPM's reasons would be flimsy or illegal, but because they is the behaviour they expect from the NIMBYs. So, although it may not help how people are feeling now, Lewes District Council are at least acting true to form.

The twats.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
SurreySeagulls said:
So Lewis district council have gone back on their original statement of accepting no matter what the decision was of the ODPM.

They haven't though. As far as I remember, Norman Baker said he'd accept the decision. Norman Baker is the MP for Lewes, and does not sit on Lewes District Council.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
I DEMAND a divorce from my council.........i'll try the European Courts, Human Rights, etc........:angry: :angry:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sergi Gotsmanov said:
Wait till they get the bill for gritting the roads over the next week or so.

Will they find the money for that?

They will probably go running, cap in hand, to the government for help to pay for gritting.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Bwian said:
They will probably go running, cap in hand, to the government for help to pay for gritting.
the same government they are taking to court!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Isn't it the county council that does the roads?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here