Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's all hope that pompey survive !!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yep and if it was the Albion you would all feel they should go under and start again in the Conference? Yeah right! Sorry, but you should all be ashamed of yourselves....call yourselves football fans....
Actually it's you who should be ashamed. If you want Portsmouth to survive then you clearly don't give a shit about the financial state of football as a whole or the direction that the modern game is going in. You may think that trotting out the old lies like "no one wants to see a club go bust" makes you morally superior, but you couldn't be more wrong. It's not the 1990s any more.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
perhaps i should have adopted the attitude at Fans united! people with short memories

I have a long memory, like PFC's creditors who are now on their third administration. As has been said, totally different situation-maybe you need to know how to separate the two issues. We were being asset stripped in the hope that the club would fold, meanwhile, PFC were running up debts of approx £150 million wasn't it, before the bubble burst? Got the idea yet?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You really don't know your history of The Albion do you? Why do you think the Goldstone was sold, and we have had to put up with years of crap at The Priestfield and Withdean? Because our Directors and a whole host of others refused to cheat and sold our main assets to clear our debts.

Careful young man, that's a VERY thin tightrope !

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yep and if it was the Albion you would all feel they should go under and start again in the Conference? Yeah right! Sorry, but you should all be ashamed of yourselves....call yourselves football fans....

I think there were plenty of us expecting us to have to start all over again, and ready for it to happen, back in 97. Only we would probably have had to start in the Sussex County league.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some disturbing news from the Independent : NewsNow: Loading story...

Portsmouth are hopeful that Balram Chainrai's deal to buy the club for a second time will go through in the next couple of days, allowing Pompey to come out of administration.

The Hong Kong businessman, who owned the club in the 2010-2011 season, and his company Portpin are expected to agree a deal soon, ending months of uncertainty for supporters after the club went into administration in February for the second time in its history. He agreed a company voluntary arrangement last month to pay creditors two pence in the pound and is himself owed around £20m.

Portsmouth are understood to be close to reaching agreements with the last of their three senior professionals, Tal Ben Haim, Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence, whose high-value existing contracts are an obstacle to Chainrai. In the meantime, their manager, Michael Appleton, has been unable to sign new players as he prepares for life in League One with a 10-point deduction.

The striker Kanu quit the club over the weekend but he is still threatening to sue Portsmouth for the £3m left on his contract. In the last week, Portsmouth have also managed to persuade Luke Varney, Greg Halford, David Norris and Erik Huseklepp (pictured) to accept compromise deals, vastly reducing the debt the club is carrying.

And so it goes on.

Admin again then, the second the last parachute payment clears in Chanrai's account.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And so it goes on.

Admin again then, the second the last parachute payment clears in Chanrai's account.

Exactly , cops the £11M parachute money and writes off the other £9M as a tax loss with creative accountancy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe it is the fatigue from this never ending saga but I am I missing something here? I appreciate that Chainrai's motivation this time is around getting monies that are owed to him but don't quite understand how he can be a fit and proper person and be allowed to take ownership of Pompey again especially given how he structured their flawed finances in the past? How does he meet FA requirements? Seems like lots of smoke and mirrors going on here.

I wonder how Pompey fans feel about this - I'd be very worried, fearing that he will just take his money and do a runner. Is he really in it to not only get all his own monies but also clear their other structural debts, if so why?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Maybe it is the fatigue from this never ending saga but I am I missing something here? I appreciate that Chainrai's motivation this time is around getting monies that are owed to him but don't quite understand how he can be a fit and proper person and be allowed to take ownership of Pompey again especially given how he structured their flawed finances in the past? How does he meet FA requirements? Seems like lots of smoke and mirrors going on here.

I wonder how Pompey fans feel about this - I'd be very worried, fearing that he will just take his money and do a runner. Is he really in it to not only get all his own monies but also clear their other structural debts, if so why?

And yet, I don't see Pompey fans campaigning to the FA to apply a more rigorous 'fit and proper' test on him.

If there was a concerted/organised movement to challenge this I'd happily support it, but I can't see one.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Chainrai must have passed the fit and proper persons nonsense to have been the owner before, and he would no doubt point out that it was the owners he sold Portsmouth to who took it into administration earlier this year. Yes, this flies in the face of all logic, but if he satisfies the League's conditions of ownership and the administrator is happy with the deal, then he'll own the club again. And then strip any remaining property assets and, as you suggest, trouser the remaining parachute payments.

It will be interesting to see how much money he then gives Appleton to sign players with. That will be some indication as to whether he thinks they can overcome the ten-point deduction and stay up or even mount a challenge. If Appleton gets peanuts then we assume that a policy of managed decline will deposit them in League Two in 2013-14. That'll be a bit of a test of the loyalty of the self-styled "best supporters in the world/the country/the South/Hampshire (take your pick)."

I'm not sure where the Indy got that information from, btw (possibly the Portsmouth-based M&Y agency) but I'm hearing that the Ben Haim, Kitson and Lawrence deals are nowhere near cut and dried yet.

And yet, I don't see Pompey fans campaigning to the FA to apply a more rigorous 'fit and proper' test on him.

If there was a concerted/organised movement to challenge this I'd happily support it, but I can't see one.

Taken from BBS:

The Pompey fans clearly don't want Chainrai, a poll on Pompey online with the title:
Liquidation/Plan B or Chainrai
currently has the following standing

Liquidation/Plan B 67 vote(s) 84.8%
Chainrai 12 vote(s) 15.2%

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Taken from BBS:

The Pompey fans clearly don't want Chainrai, a poll on Pompey online with the title:
Liquidation/Plan B or Chainrai
currently has the following standing

Liquidation/Plan B 67 vote(s) 84.8%
Chainrai 12 vote(s) 15.2%

Ok, from a sample of 79 people the Pompey fans don't support the Chanrai deal. I look forward to some of them coming on here to get our support for the campaign that follows....

Ok, from a sample of 79 people the Pompey fans don't support the Chanrai deal. I look forward to some of them coming on here to get our support for the campaign that follows....

Low numbers I agree but I was hoping it may be indicative of the overall feeling.

I would be very interested to hear thoughts of Mr Westwood, he seems to be all over the media when things are looking rosy.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

There are two stages to the fit and proper persons test. One is that Pompey must vouch for him and they have. The other is that he must be free of any appropriate legal conviction (fraud etc) which he is. End of process. Not being likeable and being a sharp operator is no impediment. The FA have to be able to justify any action in a court

Chanrai "claims" he is owed money. He claims he put money in. The reality is that much of what he is "owed" was always a paper inverstment (money owed to him by the previous owner and underwriting loans etc which have never been repaid as they fell within the original CVA) rather than an actual cash investment and with accrued interest he will take out much more than the very minimal sum he put in to the club. Once he gets his blood money god help the club :nono:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There are two stages to the fit and proper persons test. One is that Pompey must vouch for him and they have. The other is that he must be free of any appropriate legal conviction (fraud etc) which he is. End of process. Not being likeable and being a sharp operator is no impediment. The FA have to be able to justify any action in a court

Chanrai "claims" he is owed money. He claims he put money in. The reality is that much of what he is "owed" was always a paper inverstment (money owed to him by the previous owner and underwriting loans etc which have never been repaid as they fell within the original CVA) rather than an actual cash investment and with accrued interest he will take out much more than the very minimal sum he put in to the club. Once he gets his blood money god help the club :nono:

So as suspected it is very much a case of smoke and mirrors - the guy can beat the fit and proper persons test, take ownership of Pompey again, get his hands on the paper debts and turn them into cash courtesy of the parachute payments but then.....what are his intentions towards the Club's structural debts? Surely there are some fundamental questions to be answered. They don't own the majority of the ground and covenants would prevent it from being sold on and redeveloped for non-sports use so whats in it for Chainrai in the longer term? Is he going to splash loads of dosh in the hope they can buy their way to the Prem and all that luvverly Sky/BT money to pay down the background debts? Given they are in Lge 1 with a -10 point start that ain't exactly going to happen overnight. I agree that the transfer budget should give us a clue as to his intentions, if Appleton still has to scratch around for loanees and cheap signings then the omens will not look good.

Why aren't Pompey fans shouting about this from the rooftops? Will their fans really turn another blind eye to this just so they can survive a bit longer? what about their own rival bid, or is that now a non-starter?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I'll reiterate in alan partridge language. f*** off!

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
I remember watching Portsmouth v Sunderland on Sky Sports 2 weeks before we went down, all four sides of the ground were singing about Newcastle and Alan Shearer for pretty much 90 minutes.

f*** them, yes I'm bitter but they can f*** off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Balram Chainrai is the new Bill Archer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here