Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's all hope that pompey survive !!!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Club should just be liquidated and start again, but ran just by the fans (which the "Albion fan" who started this topic has bigged up so much), free from the people who screwed it up.

Setting up AFC Pompey would show the clubs true fans, whilst the others would probably go and support Southampton. Think starting again and rising through the non-league, getting back into the FL would have a better lasting memory for the club than surviving, being relegated down the leagues and continuing to suffer financially.

Never want any club to go under, but if its a better, more realistic, option than continuing to exist in its current form - then that should happen. Their fans need to accept this.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't know why my attitude towards a team of serial financial mishaps and avoidance of paying their way makes you think I am a JCL.

We've yet to finish higher than we did in my very first season. The season Barry took us into the playoffs. I've been waiting patiently for a higher finish!

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Yep and if it was the Albion you would all feel they should go under and start again in the Conference? Yeah right! Sorry, but you should all be ashamed of yourselves....call yourselves football fans....

But it's not just us who are saying this. A lot of their own fans and ex-players (Alan Knight - see my earlier post) who are saying the same thing. It may have to come to that for the Pompey Trust to have a chance of taking over - at least the club will then be run by proper supporters and not crooks.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Jesus, some of you lot have short memories and should be ashamed of yourselves. As an Albion and football fan, I hope Pompey survive (there for the grace of god go I). It's not the fans fault!

I repeat...

"The facts are that Pompey have gone into administration, not once, but TWICE inside TWO years. (we haven't even once)
The only thing that creditors care about is their money. Who owes them the money? The CLUB, not the fans.

Yes, it's hard on the fans, but the club must face up to what has happened.
If that puts them out of business, tough."

The club is a business, businesses go under just about every day.
What makes PFC any different?

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
My point is that the same thing almost happened to us because we punched above our weight in the old div one. We paid wages and agreed to contracts that led to our near demise and resulted in a bunch of idiots nearly closing our club down. I personally, was pleased we never folded and ended up in the Vauxhall Conference. Perhaps, you think different? Pompey fans are normal football fans who love their club and deserve better...we should all stick together! Shame on you sir....
Lets hope they survive and we live to see our rivalry again soon.....and the idiots who have caused this don't every have the chance to do this again.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
My point is that the same thing almost happened to us because we punched above our weight in the old div one. We paid wages and agreed to contracts that led to our near demise and resulted in a bunch of idiots nearly closing our club down. I personally, was pleased we never folded and ended up in the Vauxhall Conference. Perhaps, you think different? Pompey fans are normal football fans who love their club and deserve better...we should all stick together! Shame on you sir....
Lets hope they survive and we live to see our rivalry again soon.....and the idiots who have caused this don't every have the chance to do this again.

At the risk of repeating myself. The best thing to come out of this mess is for the Pompey Trust to takeover IMO. Then Pompey fans will be running the club. But for that to happen they MAY have to go into liquidation and start again. It'll take a while for them to climb back up the leagues but other clubs have done it without the level of support that Pompey can rely on.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
At no stage have I seen a meaningful attempt by the fans to save their own club. Therein lies my lack of sympathy for everything to do with Portsmouth.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Yep and if it was the Albion you would all feel they should go under and start again in the Conference? Yeah right! Sorry, but you should all be ashamed of yourselves....call yourselves football fans....

If Brighton took the complete piss and lived beyond their means like Pompey did for years then I wouldn't expect much sympathy. If you are a real football fan then why stick up for cheating teams like Pompy who lived wayyyy beyond their means at the expense of other clubs doing the right thing?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You're missing the central point, Howie.

Excuse the tortured analogy but here goes...

At Brighton, there was a cancer running the club down, spreading to the core, and we were on life support, but pulled through. Why? Because we understood exactly what the problem was, asked for help, received it and the medicine came along - thankfully.

In Portsmouth's case, they have a more virulent cancer, but hardly anyone has recognised this; they're blaming the doctors for the illness but still carrying on as though nothing has happened when they should be asking for treatment. Meanwhile, no-one wants to touch this rotting carcass any more. It's not a case of anyone wanting the club to die - it's a case of putting it out of its misery.

Meanwhile, from the ashes etc.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At last somebody with a brain and has the capacity to empathise! It's good to see a post from somebody that has actually thought about their reply before posting, makes a change from the brainless brigade on NSC

Who the hell do you think you are? You're evidently a registered poster, which by my (brainless) calculations, makes you equally as much of a simpleton.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Pompey definitely need to be liquidated and start from the basement.
Leopard, spots, etc.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Why on earth should a club be saved because it's not the fans fault. I don't hear ANYONE saying that about Rangers and how many people said it about Leeds? What has Portsmouth done that is any different.

For the deluded souls out there we are talking about PROFESSIONAL football, not amateur football. Clubs are businesses and like all businesses must act and be judged as businesses. Portsmouth has failed and must be dealt with in that way...ergo liquidation. I have all the sympathy in the world for the fans but anyone who thinks are Portsmouth are being hard done by are just idiots. This is no better than Leeds or Rangers... the only difference is that Portsmouth is not as big.

I truly hope they do an AFC Wimbledon and will get back into the league asap...... as a successful working business entity. That or they should never aspire to be better than Havant Hawks.

p.s. and if Brighton were in the same position I would not cry about what was happening to us and I wouldnt blame other fans or the FA... I want to burn the bastards who got us into that position.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Two people come on here to berate us because we don't have any sympathy for a football club that has screwed the taxman (all of us tax payers), their staff and local businesses-twice in 3 years. A club that continued to hand out ridiculous contracts (despite the fact that they owed something like £157 Million at the time wasn't it?) and whose fans were still clamouring for them to spend even more in the belief that they had an outside chance of getting back to the Premier League via the playoffs.

Apart from the fact that I loathe the odious club along the coast as much as I loathe Palace, from a fair play point of view PFC should have been kicked out of football 2 years ago at least.

They can f*** off and cease to exist and I for one will be happy to see it happen.

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
Two people come on here to berate us because we don't have any sympathy for a football club that has screwed the taxman (all of us tax payers), their staff and local businesses-twice in 3 years. A club that continued to hand out ridiculous contracts (despite the fact that they owed something like £157 Million at the time wasn't it?) and whose fans were still clamouring for them to spend even more in the belief that they had an outside chance of getting back to the Premier League via the playoffs.

Apart from the fact that I loathe the odious club along the coast as much as I loathe Palace, from a fair play point of view PFC should have been kicked out of football 2 years ago at least.

They can f*** off and cease to exist and I for one will be happy to see it happen.

perhaps i should have adopted the attitude at Fans united! people with short memories

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

You really don't know your history of The Albion do you? Why do you think the Goldstone was sold, and we have had to put up with years of crap at The Priestfield and Withdean? Because our Directors and a whole host of others refused to cheat and sold our main assets to clear our debts.

During that time, Pompey actively poached our fan base, achieved success paid for by HMRC and others (which the fans lapped-up!), and took the piss out of our plight when we were slumming-it at Withdean.

As I posted before, "what goes around comes around". As Brighton fans we can hold our heads up high, while our two main rivals have repeatedly cheated HMRC and their other creditors.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
You really don't know your history of The Albion do you? Why do you think the Goldstone was sold, and we have had to put up with years of crap at The Priestfield and Withdean? Because our Directors and a whole host of others refused to cheat and sold our main assets to clear our debts.

During that time, Pompey actively poached our fan base, achieved success paid for by HMRC and others (which the fans lapped-up!), and took the piss out of our plight when we were slumming-it at Withdean.

As I posted before, "what goes around comes around". As Brighton fans we can hold our heads up high, while our two main rivals have repeatedly cheated HMRC and their other creditors.

Good post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here