Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Its not to say I'm anti-CMS, I'm just using him as an example.

I don't think any of us in this conversation are anti-cms. I know mellatron has pointed out some of his mistakes/flaws in other threads, but not because he is anti-cms, just because they were relevant to the discussion in those threads, and I've done it to highlight double standards being applied to criticise barnes.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I didn't say instead of his work rate, but along with it (well, clarified in a second post).

To be honest, I don't pay that much attention to other teams players, so I (and I suspect a lot of fans) wasn't all that familiar with Dobbie, CMS was getting plaudits as one of the top scorers over a couple of league one seasons (26 and 35 in his last two league one seasons). Dobbie may have done well, but not as division top scorer (just looked it p, his most prolific seasons (20 and 23 goals) came for queen of the south in the scottish league. In the english leagues he hasn't got more than 15 in any season, hell, even Barnes has done better! So, Iwould argue his quality isn't so obvious to people who haven't regularly watched him and rely on 'goals scored' as an indication of quality for strikers.

That's probably because he is an attacking midfield player and not a striker...

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Not at all, but he wasn't well thought of in Spain. It's not my opinion, as he's clearly been superb for Swansea this season.

Where did you get that from? He was very well thought of indeed in Spain last season. Last March Del Bosque had already mentioned him as someone who maybe deserved a call up for the national team (he didn't because he's got four team's worth of midfielders).

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Looks like you have your man,from Palace fan and South American football expert Ed Malyon.

Ed Malyon‏@eaamalyon

£2m deal to take Ulloa to Brighton will be completed soon. Don't think he's worth that much but should do well in the Championship.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think any of us in this conversation are anti-cms. I know mellatron has pointed out some of his mistakes/flaws in other threads, but not because he is anti-cms, just because they were relevant to the discussion in those threads, and I've done it to highlight double standards being applied to criticise barnes.

I get it completely, occasionally I feel I need to clarify things like this to avoid being slated by the "pro-CMS" group or whoever... Unfortunately for CMS though, he is very easy to use in these conversations because, for whatever reason, he is not succeeding in the way some hoped he would (i.e. repeating his 35 goal haul).

My worry for Ulloa is that looking at all of the comments on here, some groups already see him as the messiah before a ball is even kicked which will likely lead to disappointment. I've also noted some have already gone up the excitable side and started coming down the "I doubt he'll be any good" route. Frankly, how players fit into other teams generally have no bearing on their performance here because we are set up fairly uniquely for an English team.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Looks like you have your man,from Palace fan and South American football expert Ed Malyon.

Ed Malyon‏@eaamalyon

£2m deal to take Ulloa to Brighton will be completed soon. Don't think he's worth that much but should do well in the Championship.

Love the little dig about the price tag :lol:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Where did you get that from? He was very well thought of indeed in Spain last season. Last March Del Bosque had already mentioned him as someone who maybe deserved a call up for the national team (he didn't because he's got four team's worth of midfielders).

Sid Lowe said it on the Football Weekly podcast on Monday (I think it was Monday).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Correct. I am not anti-anyone since Liam Dickinson.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Ed Malyon‏@eaamalyon

Guessing he doesn't know what the going rate for a top Champ striker is then, seeing as we've been told he's too good for the Championship by a number of people in Spain who watch him regularly.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Guessing he doesn't know what the going rate for a top Champ striker is then, seeing as we've been told he's too good for the Championship by a number of people in Spain who watch him regularly.

Only time will tell I suppose to see if he can adapt to the championship, Exciting signing though.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012

To be fair I am one of those who have seen him play live (as recently as December though he only got 20 minutes that day) and I don't think he's worth more than 1 million either. It's not a question of whether a Championship striker goes for that sort of money, but Almeria had no other takers and he was clearly not going to make their team this season with the current coach there in charge. So they had a striker on big money (for them) sat on the bench.

Even though I think he is technically and physically well suited to the Championship, no one can be sure if he will actually adapt well, and I also think you've been had at that price.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Sid Lowe said it on the Football Weekly podcast on Monday (I think it was Monday).

Sid Lowe is an idiot that doesn't know anything past Barcelona/Real Madrid like any other English journalists. Easily the worst bit about Football Weekly for me, they should get a Spanish journalist involved.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's not that bad! Although It might have been Marcotti anyway on TheGame one. I' listen to them both on the same day...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Ed Malyon‏@eaamalyon

Quite funny the dig about the price tag when the scum have been trying to tell everyone Zaha is worth 20 MILLION. Funny stuff. I don't understand his logic anyway, Jordan Rhodes went to Blackburn for something ridiculous and is less proven than Ulloa at this sort of level. Strange comment.

To be fair I am one of those who have seen him play live (as recently as December though he only got 20 minutes that day) and I don't think he's worth more than 1 million either. It's not a question of whether a Championship striker goes for that sort of money, but Almeria had no other takers and he was clearly not going to make their team this season with the current coach there in charge. So they had a striker on big money (for them) sat on the bench.

Even though I think he is technically and physically well suited to the Championship, no one can be sure if he will actually adapt well, and I also think you've been had at that price.

So you have reached a conclusion about his value based on a recent 20 minute assessment ? It is also well documented that Granada were interested in him but didn't have the cash - times are hard in Spain.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

So how many minutes have you seen him play?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sid Lowe is an idiot that doesn't know anything past Barcelona/Real Madrid like any other English journalists. Easily the worst bit about Football Weekly for me, they should get a Spanish journalist involved.

Is this the same Sid Lowe who reported that a lot of Vicente's injury problems at Valencia were reported as being 'perhaps in his head'?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So you have reached a conclusion about his value based on a recent 20 minute assessment ? It is also well documented that Granada were interested in him but didn't have the cash - times are hard in Spain.

U can bet your life loads of people on here will be whineging about him on here after 1 game if he dosent look the business staright away !

Sad but true.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Ed Malyon‏@eaamalyon

Should do well in the Championship but not worth £2million??! That doesn't stack up! If he does well in the Championship that will mean we will be going up, that is worth a lot more than £2million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here