Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It depends if it looks like he's trying or not. If he doesn't, he'll be the new Billy Paynter within seconds of his first run out.

No it doesn't. This is NSC. If people decide they don't like someone, it doesn't matter how hard they try. Nothing they do will be good enough. Goals will be ones that were made by others, dismissed because 'one swallow does not a summer make', or jut ignored because a game is 90 minutes and goals are only one part of their job! Effort will be dismissed because sure he tried hard, but he didn't score! Or he needed 5 shots to get a goal. Or his tireless running will be dismissed as 'headless chicken' etc.

Dec 29, 2011
Just found some stats on Ulloa

Played 21 Scored 6

Thats shocking :down:

check them out for yourselves down the bottom of the page on the link

2012–13 UD AlmerÃ*a season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it also says he has left Almeria

Check out last seasons tally. He got 28 goals in a league that is the same level as the Championship, still down? Also this year they had a new manager, he scored 4 goals in his first few games then went on a 9 goal dry spell at which point he was dropped by the new manager. I don't think we can read too much into that.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Check out last seasons tally. He got 28 goals in a league that is the same level as the Championship, still down? Also this year they had a new manager, he scored 4 goals in his first few games then went on a 9 goal dry spell at which point he was dropped by the new manager. I don't think we can read too much into that.

This.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Just found some stats on Ulloa

Played 21 Scored 6

Thats shocking :down:

check them out for yourselves down the bottom of the page on the link

2012–13 UD AlmerÃ*a season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it also says he has left Almeria

Context dear boy, context.
His wiki page says this.

2008–2010 Castellón 78 (30)
2010–2013 Almería 72 (35)

Just over 1 goal in 2 games in 4ish years. Potentially we're due around 9-10 goals for the rest of the league season. Or if you're thinking optimistically, about 50.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
No it doesn't. This is NSC. If people decide they don't like someone, it doesn't matter how hard they try. Nothing they do will be good enough. Goals will be ones that were made by others, dismissed because 'one swallow does not a summer make', or jut ignored because a game is 90 minutes and goals are only one part of their job! Effort will be dismissed because sure he tried hard, but he didn't score! Or he needed 5 shots to get a goal. Or his tireless running will be dismissed as 'headless chicken' etc.

True but CMS got nearly a years worth of grace before the "headless chicked" proberly took hold.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
True but CMS got nearly a years worth of grace before the "headless chicked" proberly took hold.

Agreed - a "try hard" will get the fans onside early on. Has bought CMS a LOT of goodwill.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think part of CMS's period of grace was his success at Peterborough - he'd scored so many (albeit league one) that people know there is quality there, so were a bit more patient. People aren't that familiar with Ulloa or spanish football so his previous success won't count for much. And with the current "CMS just runs around" fruitless effort by Ulloa will be compared, so I don't think he will get as much time to settle by some of our more vocal and negative fans.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think part of CMS's period of grace was his success at Peterborough - he'd scored so many (albeit league one) that people know there is quality there, so were a bit more patient.

It was DEFINITELY partly that he runs around a lot. For some fans that's all they want "passion" "getting stuck in" and all that meaningless bollocks. There was a MASSIVE cheer for Dicker against Newcastle the other day because he harried 2-3 of their players. In Spain it would be total silence. We LOVE a try hard.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was DEFINITELY partly that he runs around a lot. For some fans that's all they want "passion" "getting stuck in" and all that meaningless bollocks. There was a MASSIVE cheer for Dicker against Newcastle the other day because he harried 2-3 of their players. In Spain it would be total silence. We LOVE a try hard.

Definitely part of it, but I just think his past success played an equal part. We've had 'headless chicken' complaints about other players too, who put in the effort without (obvious) pay off, and I think since we have CMS, people who had patience may have spent it on him, and not have any to spare for Ulloa. Of course, this is all irrelevant if he hits the round running (pardon the pun).

I liked Dicker closing them down. Not because it was him running around trying hard, but because at times (particularly when we're on a poor run) we stand off our opponents and just let hem walk through us and take their time to pick out passes and shots.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Precisely. Graft is a massive part of the English game in terms of what is appreciated. It's why there's a grudging respect for Stoke: a horrible side of hard workers.

Players who work hard are let off for being deficient in other ways because they're triers and nothing beats a trier.

I read (or heard) something about why Michu wasn't well thought of in Spain before he came here that was very interesting: Ultimately, he runs around a lot and wastes his energy so he never has the burst of 10- or 15-yard pace to accelerate away from defenders (especially in the last 15 mins of a match) so all you had to do was keep the ball away from him and he'll run himself into ineffectiveness.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Precisely. Graft is a massive part of the English game in terms of what is appreciated. It's why there's a grudging respect for Stoke: a horrible side of hard workers.

Players who work hard are let off for being deficient in other ways because they're triers and nothing beats a trier.

I read (or heard) something about why Michu wasn't well thought of in Spain before he came here that was very interesting: Ultimately, he runs around a lot and wastes his energy so he never has the burst of 10- or 15-yard pace to accelerate away from defenders (especially in the last 15 mins of a match) so all you had to do was keep the ball away from him and he'll run himself into ineffectiveness.

Terrible player that Michu

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Definitely part of it, but I just think his past success played an equal part. We've had 'headless chicken' complaints about other players too, who put in the effort without (obvious) pay off, and I think since we have CMS, people who had patience may have spent it on him, and not have any to spare for Ulloa. Of course, this is all irrelevant if he hits the round running (pardon the pun).

I liked Dicker closing them down. Not because it was him running around trying hard, but because at times (particularly when we're on a poor run) we stand off our opponents and just let hem walk through us and take their time to pick out passes and shots.

Of course you're right too. The expectation that he'd "come good" came from his past exploits which extended the period of grace for longer than normal. Combined with his hard work meant that he was very hard to criticise for a long time. Its not to say I'm anti-CMS, I'm just using him as an example.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5435756 said:
Terrible player that Michu

Not at all, but he wasn't well thought of in Spain. It's not my opinion, as he's clearly been superb for Swansea this season.

Dec 29, 2011
I think part of CMS's period of grace was his success at Peterborough - he'd scored so many (albeit league one) that people know there is quality there, so were a bit more patient. People aren't that familiar with Ulloa or spanish football so his previous success won't count for much. And with the current "CMS just runs around" fruitless effort by Ulloa will be compared, so I don't think he will get as much time to settle by some of our more vocal and negative fans.

I disagree to an extent. If CMS was given grace due to his known quality and not his work rate, why was Dobbie give very little grace even though he has shown more quality in the past than CMS. IMO Dobbie was slated very quickly mostly because he didn't work hard enough. As Mellotron says, the crowd love a hard worker, as hard work is usually correlated with passion for the club (but not always).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5435785 said:
I know, I know, wasn't knocking you, just poking fun at those silly Spaniards.

Haha! I'm oddly tetchy today!

Funny isn't it how the same player, playing the same way can be viewed to HUGELY differently when playing in a different country? Mind you, Messi never proved himself on a cold, wet Tuesday night in Stoke so read into that what you will... :mad:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I disagree to an extent. If CMS was given grace due to his known quality and not his work rate, why was Dobbie give very little grace even though he has shown more quality in the past than CMS. IMO Dobbie was slated very quickly mostly because he didn't work hard enough. As Mellotron says, the crowd love a hard worker, as hard work is usually correlated with passion for the club (but not always).

I didn't say instead of his work rate, but along with it (well, clarified in a second post).

To be honest, I don't pay that much attention to other teams players, so I (and I suspect a lot of fans) wasn't all that familiar with Dobbie, CMS was getting plaudits as one of the top scorers over a couple of league one seasons (26 and 35 in his last two league one seasons). Dobbie may have done well, but not as division top scorer (just looked it p, his most prolific seasons (20 and 23 goals) came for queen of the south in the scottish league. In the english leagues he hasn't got more than 15 in any season, hell, even Barnes has done better! So, Iwould argue his quality isn't so obvious to people who haven't regularly watched him and rely on 'goals scored' as an indication of quality for strikers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here