Votes: 143 69.4%
  • Fence

Votes: 17 8.3%

• Total voters

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
A turd who scored goals for fun and took us to the Championship.

Give me him over Gatting, Hart et al any day of the week.

At least Leon Knight can:

a) Control the ball.
b) Pass to a team member.
c) Shoot.
d) Score one on ones...

etc etc

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
A turd who scored goals for fun and took us to the Championship.

Give me him over Gatting, Hart et al any day of the week.

At least Leon Knight can:

a) Control the ball.
b) Pass to a team member.
c) Shoot.
d) Score one on ones...

etc etc

Yep, the guy has (had?) talent - but he's done sod-all since he left us apart from piss all & sundry off. Had he not found our relegation amusing, I might be a little more forgiving. Sadly he did: so I'm not.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Had the fans and the manager treated him with a little more respect than he might not have been so pleased to see us fail.

Also, there is such a thing as journalists asking loaded questions. I am not necessarily defending Knight here but too many people on here seem to take comments made by players to the press as definitive indications of how that player is feeling.

Surely everyone knows journalists phrase questions in a certain way and the often paraphrase / 'tidy up' the quotes they are given to fit their story.

Pablo

Jul 8, 2003
Worthing
Had the fans and the manager treated him with a little more respect than he might not have been so pleased to see us fail.

Also, there is such a thing as journalists asking loaded questions. I am not necessarily defending Knight here but too many people on here seem to take comments made by players to the press as definitive indications of how that player is feeling.

Surely everyone knows journalists phrase questions in a certain way and the often paraphrase / 'tidy up' the quotes they are given to fit their story.

The above may well be true, but Leon Knight has caused problems at pretty much every club he's played for so I don't see how the journalist angle is relevant?

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
As I said, wasn't necessarily defending Knight there - more going off subject about how a lot of posters on here seem to take throwaway comments to the local journo as gospel.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Yep, I agree that journalist tidy up the quotes given to them a bit. However im not sure what sort of quote you'd have to tidy up to get this

“It was terrific to see Brighton go down. I was absolutely delighted that they got relegated. You cannot understand how happy I was. But I don't want to be playing them next season. Hopefully, we can leapfrog them as they come down.” (Leon Knight, 20/4/2006)

or even

And, after branding Brighton's modest home a "shoebox," Knight knows he will have to run the gauntlet of angry home fans at the Withdean next season.

"What all six thousand of them?" replied Knight when asked if he was looking forward to a tough League One reception at Brighton.

"I've had bigger fans than that on my back. I'm not bothered about them, they should be bothered about us because we'll steamroller them.

"They're not in our league when it comes to footballing ability, technical-wise. I've seen they've signed people like Richard Carpenter and Charlie Oatway again - players who are ancient history. We'll go there with fresh players and be too good for them."

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I would suggest quite a few of you try and read people's posts before jumping on the bandwagon.

I will say it AGAIN.
I'd already started to quote the previous post before you made the other post, (if that makes any sense).

Seemed like you were defending him.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Yep, I agree that journalist tidy up the quotes given to them a bit. However im not sure what sort of quote you'd have to tidy up to get this

“It was terrific to see Brighton go down. I was absolutely delighted that they got relegated. You cannot understand how happy I was. But I don't want to be playing them next season. Hopefully, we can leapfrog them as they come down.” (Leon Knight, 20/4/2006)

or even

And, after branding Brighton's modest home a "shoebox," Knight knows he will have to run the gauntlet of angry home fans at the Withdean next season.

"What all six thousand of them?" replied Knight when asked if he was looking forward to a tough League One reception at Brighton.

"I've had bigger fans than that on my back. I'm not bothered about them, they should be bothered about us because we'll steamroller them.

"They're not in our league when it comes to footballing ability, technical-wise. I've seen they've signed people like Richard Carpenter and Charlie Oatway again - players who are ancient history. We'll go there with fresh players and be too good for them."

I can't believe anyone is suggesting getting him back. Those comments are a disgrace and no Albion fan should want back a player capable of quoting such sentiments.

On top of that he is a shit stirrer, by all accounts, and on current form not actually very good. Chelsea to the Blue Square League in about five years. Says it all really.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Fair enough.

Although I cannot see too much which he was proved wrong about the comments you have added re: Withdean, Oatway et al and Swansea being better than us...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Fair enough.

Although I cannot see too much which he was proved wrong about the comments you have added re: Withdean, Oatway et al and Swansea being better than us...

Probably not, doesn't mean he should be spouting off the press about it though. Certainly not about fellow professionals who were better servants to all the clubs they played for than he will.

Bet he wished he could be playing in front of 6,000 people now...

Don't think you could find a way to defend the relegation comments though.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I just find it slightly double standards from Brighton fans, many of whom delighted in abusing Knight and criticising him even when he played for us let alone since he left, to then moan he slagged us off a bit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I saw him at the Q8 petrol station after the 1-0 defeat to Sheff Utd. I met him in the doorway and said 'Unlucky Leon. I thought you played well. Keep at it'. He snarled at me and pushed past me without uttering a word.

Respect is a two way thing. I seem to remember we had a song for him and the manager had a great deal of patience with the little turncoat. I remember an interview with McGhee stating how he considered leaving Leon out for the Cardiff showdown. Would any manager leave out their topscorer? That goes some way to showing how badly Leon treated the club and his team mates and how he was here for just a pay cheque and how much respect he had for everyone. His comments after he left the club backs that up. The amount of clubs he has been through also backs this up.

Great talent. Horrible little man.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

I think we, the supporters, gave him near enough 100% backing here before he started behaving like an arsey little brat. Still, I guess we remember things differently, so maybe we should agree to disagree?

Oct 25, 2003
Same here.

No wonder he got the hump when that wanker McGhee insisted on playing him out on the wing or in midfield or left him on the bench for long periods. Manager had his own agenda and forced out the best striker we've had since BZ.

i'm pretty sure he played on the wing after it became pretty obvious that he isn't good enough to play as a striker in division one, as his record (not just with us) would suggest

Oct 25, 2003
i think some SIMPLETONS need to look at it this way

1) recent record would suggest that ability wise, he's not up to it........he's performed poorly in the league BELOW us

2) mcghee is not the only manager he's fallen out with, infact he's fallen out with pretty much EVERY manager he's worked with

3) plenty of strikers who can score goals at this level who AREN'T complete pricks

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I think some SIMPLETONS need to look at it this way

1) He is a proven goal scorer at this level

2) He is available for nothing

3) We have nothing in reserves for a good back up striker

Oct 25, 2003
I think some SIMPLETONS need to look at it this way

1) He is a proven goal scorer at this level

2) He is available for nothing

3) We have nothing in reserves for a good back up striker

1) he's proven at this level yes..........but why has he failed to perform in the league BELOW for the past couple of seasons?

2) i doubt he'll go for long as being back up without kicking off

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
If he came and pissed about, Forster would knock his block off.

And it might be worth it just to see that. Forster is ten times the player Leon Knight is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here