Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight Sold!!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
If this is true (and it's a long old shot) then it would be ironic if the player we should and could have signed in the summer (according to McGhee detractors) replaces the player we should never get rid of.

Or am I being a bit Alanis about it?

Either way I would jump at the chance if it were true. Hell, i'd jump at the chance of swapping him for David Johnson at Nottingham Forest. It's clear that Knight just doesn't work in this team and for our sake and his it's better if he goes. As said in the Argus today, if he was scoring goals and playing well then the manager could gritt his teeth and put up with his attitude. We cannot afford to carry a disruptive element simply on the off chance that he "might" score 5 goals in the 2nd half of the season. It's better we risk getting in a new player who "might" score 5 goals but will probably have a more positive attitude in training.

In League 1 he is excellent because he has an extra yard on the opposing defenders. At this level the defenders are quicker and know how to deal with pacy strikers by fair means or foul. I can see Leon playing for someone like MK Dons (although I don't think they'd swap Izale McLeod for him) and doing well for them. Doubtless we'll get constant career updates on him by his supporters who'll use it as a stick to bash McGhee with, as is happening with Iwelumo.

He's now had problems with Lou Macari, Chris Turner, Ian Holloway and Mark McGhee and according to Gary Chivers he also had some "differences" with the Chelsea coaching team. There is something wrong here, there can be no denying. You could claim that all four of those managers are tough on discipline and will brook no opposition from players, but then what manager doesn't? Would someone like Adrian Boothroyd at Watford be good for him? Look at the way he has revitalised Marlon King, does that mean he could do the same for Leon. Even though it looks like Knight is finished with us I still want to see him do well because he is a talented player and it's better to see that talent used than be wasted. I would take no pleasure in seeing him fade away like Rod Thomas.

On the subject of Brooker vs Carole, I have to say i'm firmly in the Carole camp. Paul Brooker was a great little player for us who was an important player in the 3 and a bit seasons he was here. Lord knows he used to get enough stick off people sitting around me at Withdean but I was always ready to stick up for him. However I think that Carole is an exciting player, a player who I feel can make things happen. After that game against Crewe I could see that we had found a diamond in Carole. Could well end up with certain sections of our support turning on him, tis always the way with creative players that some would see graft than art. The main person on here who slagged off Zamora was FG/Ernest which tells it's own story. I will say Kinky that I thought it was going to be you who turned on Carole as a reaction to the praise he was receiving on here. You started making comments a month or so back that he "didn't release the ball quickly enough", I assumed that this was an attempt to provide some balance to the hype he was getting on here?

I have not turned on carole at all mate,i think he is a good player. he has started to release it quicker now as well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I for one will be very pleased if the original post on this thread is true, Shipperley for Knight plus some cash would be a great deal for us.

CKR or Robinson with Shipperley is a far far better combination.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Leon Knight leaving is a good thing now. He clearly has an attitude that ain't going to fit in with the way our club is run. Thanks for the goals that got us to the Championship. Lets hope any money we get for him is well invested in the squad. Signing Mcshane would be a good starting point!

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
BHA Jordan said:
I like Leon, but players come and go, so not too bothered if this is true

spot on mate.

at the time you are gutted but when the player has gone for a few months you forget he was ever here.

its BHAFC we love not an individual player.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
KinkyGoehring said:
The same as Brooker, Jonah And even Zamora towards the end.
Brighton dont like skillfull players, how long before the fans turn on Carole?
What is a skilful player then? Somebody who is good at dribbling?
Always thought that Ward was a very skilful player and he's popular with all the grey heads like me.
Don't know how Jones can be compared with the other three as he was never more than a useful lower division player.
What interests me about this post is the observation that many Brighton fans hate certain types of player. I agree that Brooker had a lot of unfair stick as did Harding last season.
I've always thought that big centre forwards have a hard time at the Albion but Mike Small was rated by everybody.
More questions than answers - is Jake still considered to be skilful or is he just energetic?
Leon is very skilful but his positional sense is poor. Sad that we're not getting the best out of him.

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
what's the betting that we play Sheff Utd or whoever he goes to sometime in the future and he gives Mark McGhee loads of stick in the press before the game, scores a goal or two and then goes mental celebrating...just like he did against QPR and Sheff Wed

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
dunno said:
what's the betting that we play Sheff Utd or whoever he goes to sometime in the future and he gives Mark McGhee loads of stick in the press before the game, scores a goal or two and then goes mental celebrating...just like he did against QPR and Sheff Wed

Hope so

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Superseagull said:
Leon Knight leaving is a good thing now. He clearly has an attitude that ain't going to fit in with the way our club is run. Thanks for the goals that got us to the Championship. Lets hope any money we get for him is well invested in the squad. Signing Mcshane would be a good starting point!

agreed

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
swap with shipperly would be a very good move

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Sheff Utd have just taken Brian Deane back again until the end of the season. Do they really want Leon on their books as well, with his attitude problem?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
IMO (for what it's worth) I think we need to sign someone to complement Leon not replace him. It seems that CKR and Robinson aren't capable yet of playing consistently for 90 minutes. I don't think Leon should have to shoulder the burden of being regarded as the main goal scorer. I think he should be considered more of a support striker, capable of 10-12 goals a season. He is a player capable of creating as many goals as he scores so if he were to play alongside someone who could score 15+ goals we would have a quality strike force. Particularly with CKR and Robinson able to have a positive impact from the bench.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
KinkyGoehring said:
No, i was just hoping it would shut some of you up who think he is "not good enough"
He will score against us at Brammal Lane if he goes to Sheffield United.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
KinkyGoehring said:
Brooker got slated: Fact
Jonah got slated: Fact
Zamora got slated: Fact

Brooker & Jones were fairly useful players in the lower divisions when we were doing well. Neither of them cut the mustard in the Championship and neither has done so for any other club since leaving Brighton. So they were criticised a little, big deal but they were hardly slated. Zamora never got slated - fact. Again he got criticised for going off the boil in his last dozen games or so. It gets noticed by fans if players don't pull their weight. What are we supposed to do, accept it and not make comment?

Knight has had one good season at the Albion and even then he never really won fans over with his attitude. he ain't that good or skillful and his disruptive influence will not be missed. Good riddance and get someone in who is more mature, gets on with the fans and gives a shit. f*** off to Knight and hope he fades into obscurity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here