Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight Sold!!!

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
It looks like he wont be going to Sheff Utd now, as they are about to sign Robbie Fowler:eek:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:
I have just returned from taking my son and a work mate to his firms Christmas p..s up and the chat got around to BHA and LK and the mate of my sons said

" XYZ (named a Brighton player) is my (close relative) and I was talking to him the other day and he said Mark McGhee has no man management skills whatsoever so much so that if a player is dropped he doesn't tell them or give them a reason whether it be tactical, loss of form, bad performance, or what he just says this is the team for this game. Any other questions or explanations have to be given by either Bob Booker or Dean White if they happen to know the answers"

Funnily enough, Alex ferguson normally asks his assistant to tell players why they are dropped. McGhee moulds himself on Ferguson, so why should we be surprised at this!

If this spat with LK had been with Carpenter or Tank I would be concerned but LK is a little sod, a reputation that has followed him from Chelsea, talented but still a little sod. As he says in the argus, some managers accept it and some don't, obviously Mcghee is one of them.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
edna krabappel said:
Don't see what the fuss is about Knight.

Yes he clearly has some ability in there, but barring the odd flash of genius when he puts his mind to it, when have we seen that o a regular basis? Not since the first half of the play off winning season.

I'm not one of those who sit in the south stand moaning at Knight to chase every pointless ball down- that's never going to be his game- but at times there undoubtedly seems to be a bit of an attitude problem on his part.

Some might say that flair players need that attitude- confidence, arrogance, whatever you call it.

But to my mind, if you're going to display that kind of mindset, you need to justify it on a fairly regular basis with performances, which Knight hasn't done for a long time. It's quiet depressing to watch him strutting around or sulking, knowing how much ability he has. And no doubt if we sell him and he scores goals for another team, people will be on here slagging off McGhee's man management skills, saying he should have kept him, or blaming MM for Leon's lack of goals.

But to be fair to McGhee, how long do we have to wait for Knight to start earning his wages? How many chances do we give him to start doing what he's paid for? Realistically, Knight might never again be the player for the Albion that he was in the first few weeks of the promotion season. It's not as though he's working his nuts off but missing loads of chances- he so rarely gets in the position to score these days it's like he's forgotten where he's supposed to be.

McGhee's tried the Mr Nice approach, and he's tried the old fashioned bollocking approach. Neither have really worked, so surely it's Knight's desire we should be questioning, not McGhee's management style? It feels like Leon's happy in his own little comfort zone- a relatively big fish in a small pond, getting reasonable wages (by most people's standards) without expanding too much effort. And he doesn't seem all that bothered about it.

We can't afford to wait forever. Might as well sell him, get a few quid in, and try and spend it on a striker who's better suited to our circumstances/formation. perhaps it's the team, not Leon, that's wrong. But given that we can barely afford one new player, let alone a whole new team, I think it's Knight that will have to give.

Edna .. you can't put stuff like that on here, it's to bloody rational.

LK is only a proven goal scorer at div 1 level, he has never performed to any great standard at championship level. unfortunately this is fact.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yorkie said:
Where?

A small minority on Nsc?

Gotta say, I heard people in the ground having a pop at Zamora towards the end. People expected him to score every week, and when he didn't some people seemed to believe he was obviously not trying anymore.

Sad but true, i heard it a few times with my own ears.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Keeper said:
It looks like he wont be going to Sheff Utd now, as they are about to sign Robbie Fowler:eek:

Fowler or Knight eh?

Blimey, I actually think they are more lilkely to get some performances out of Leon, and at about a 10th of the cost.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Gritt23 said:
Gotta say, I heard people in the ground having a pop at Zamora towards the end. People expected him to score every week, and when he didn't some people seemed to believe he was obviously not trying anymore.

I love the fact that majority of Brighton fans treat Withdean like a library and only pipe up to criticise their own players.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Gritt23 said:

Very true! The guy was afraid of his own shadow after his injury, and played like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here