Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight admits Brighton career is over

Uncle Buck said:
Proven track record of getting teams out of this league, reputation for taking rough diamonds like Ian Wright and Dave Kitson and turning them into very good players. Yeah I would say that Coppell is a proper manager.

Shame he couldn't keep us up then when we were out of the relegation zone after Christmas. Let's see if McGhee can do better for the second year in a row :)

Last edited:

and why would Coppell want him at the moment Reading hadly have a problem up front - goal DIFFERENCE of +44 at the mo and a £1m striker coming back from injury............

DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Don't recall Coppell playing players out of position frequently either

Ingimarrson was played in midfield towards the end, you remember, those games that took us down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tom Hark said:
Makes you wonder why McGhee doesn't have a quiet word with the players he intends playing/not playing well in advance of getting them into the dressing-room. Might avoid a lot of the flouncing.

see my post on Christmas Eve re MMs management as told to me bya relative of a first team player.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Shame he couldn't keep us up then when we were out of the relegation zone after Christmas. Let's see if McGhee can do better for the second year in a row :)

Coppell started his job on effectively, what, -14 points? Something like that?

McGhee hardly has quite as much of a tough job.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Repugnant Toad said:

+ Coppell took over someone elses mess, Magoo has made his own.

Repugnant Toad said:

There is no denying that Coppell succeeded in the first few months in his job in dragging back Hinshelwood's deficit. But then, having got us out of the relegation zone, he failed to keep us out of it.

That you hold this record up as a criticism of McGhee just completes the absurd picture of your support for this little shit Knight.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
There is no denying that Coppell succeeded in the first few months in his job in dragging back Hinshelwood's deficit. But then, having got us out of the relegation zone, he failed to keep us out of it.

That you hold this record up as a criticism of McGhee just completes the absurd picture of your support for this little shit Knight.

In all fairness Steve, you see no bad in McGhee and do have a habit of overlooking his mistakes.

I cannot see him going, but I cannot remember so much discontent at the club (even if it is just Knight) in the press for a long time. Something seems to be wrong. Now if Knight goes and everything settles down, then fair enough, but I do doubt that will be in the case.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This whole episode stinks and needs resolving very quickly.

I am not bothered with Leon now, the sooner he goes the better in order to get the other players in a positive frame of mind.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
Doesn't this come under the catergory of 'team comradeship'standing up for ones mates.

Or interfering with the boss' work.
I know my boss wouldn't stand for it.

E

enigma

BensGrandad said:
Doesn't this come under the catergory of 'team comradeship'standing up for ones mates.

Not really his job is it? Particularly when he's not only "stood up" for a team mate, but criticised the manager in the process. No need to criticise McGhees decision.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wasn't it on here on a few days ago that people were saying that LK was not popular in the dressing room, but here he is by his own admission standing up for his fellow players.
How is McGhee escaping blameless about this. So that would be McCammon and Knight he has tried to kick off a coach, as well as seemingly falling out with Kuipers and using the press to have a go at players when it really should be kept private.
Were not in a good way

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:

Not using it as a stick to beat McGhee at all - just disputing that which I inferred from your statement; that McGhee keeping Brighton up would be an equal achievement to Coppell doing so. And I thought you were a little above the name-calling ... :(

Uncle Buck said:
In all fairness Steve, you see no bad in McGhee and do have a habit of overlooking his mistakes.

Not at all - I doubt if there is a team McGhee has put out this season that I've been entirely happy with, I've never been a fan of the two-winger policy, have never agreed with taking away Hammond from left midfield where he has played so well previously and I think McGhee might have picked the wrong man in Hendo over Blayney.

But you know what? I don't elevate my disagreements with McGhee into some kind of weird and very immature blanket opposition to his very successful tenure of management.

The cult of Leon Knight on here, I'll never understand. I can't really believe it's actual real support for this disloyal, lazy waster, but, yes, he's a very convenient stick with which to beat McGhee for too many who have no real perspective on the reality of our financial and footballing situation.

Donk the Seagull

Registered Legend
Jul 26, 2004
If we did get rid of Knight, with our inability to get the ball in the net, there would be even less chance of us scoring. No-one else in the squad seems to want to score. I think that he needs to sort his attitude out both on and off the pitch, apologise to the club and fans and get on with helping us battle for relegation. Mark Mcghee needs to sort him self out aswell. With all of our injuries and suspensions, we needed a keeper that has experience and the outfields confidence against a quick Saints attack, so why put Florent in goal?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've had the Coppell argument with London Irish before, and I completely disagreed with him that it showed Coppell in a bad light as manager that he failed to keep us up after that horrific start. Just making up such a huge deficit took too much out of the players - and his record at Reading since, I would suggest, strengthens my case.

But I totally agree with him about Leon Knight. McGhee is a tough but honourable manager, a bit old-school in some respects - one of which is not tolerating some little piss-ant who has done next to nothing in the game second-guessing his decisions.

I am not as much of a McGhee fan overall as some - but you can't have a fringe striker telling you who to play in goal. Leon Knight may go on to have a good career elsewhere but he is showing us no respect by giving a lot less than 100 per cent, and I'm almost relieved he's going.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
I'm not knocking McGhee here, but you're stretching credibilty by even attempting to suggest that Coppell isn't as good as McGhee.

Coppell took Brentford to the brink of the Championship.
Coppell took the scum to third place in the league and a cup final. :(
Coppell nearly overhauled an 12 point deficit to almost keep us up. And he would have done if not for Tony Pullis.
Coppell had us playing attractive free scoring top of the league football before walking out.

The thing is, Coppell DID walk out. And that's where McGhee wins - he hasn't walked out on us. Oh and anyone moaning at McGhee simply because Leon Knight says Coppell is proper manager needs their head testing. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas and under Coppell, Knight was hot property. Knight would suck up to Coppell even if the team was bottom of the league - as long as HE was made to look good by scoring all the goals. The bloke's a petulent twat. :tosser:

Repugnant Toad said:
Not using it as a stick to beat McGhee at all - just disputing that which I inferred from your statement; that McGhee keeping Brighton up would be an equal achievement to Coppell doing so. And I thought you were a little above the name-calling ... :(

It's true, I'll never call any of our players while they are loyal to this club names. But I don't regard Knight as our player any more. So as far as I'm concerned, it's OPEN SEASON on the little shit now and time to get the best part of two seasons' frustration out when I held my tongue and was willing him on to overcome his preening vanity and become a genuine team player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
The cult of Leon Knight on here, I'll never understand. I can't really believe it's actual real support for this disloyal, lazy waster, but, yes, he's a very convenient stick with which to beat McGhee for too many who have no real perspective on the reality of our financial and footballing situation.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here