Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight admits Brighton career is over

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Race said:
You wernt that wrong DTG!!

Ears r OK now I think, well I heard the alarm this morning anyway!!

:lolol: :lolol:

Nice to meet you yesterday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
Apparently, it was the way he said it.

seemly in a speedy gonzales accent.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Let's face it, it's not going to be easy managing a team if every players going to pipe up every time you make a decision.

I imagine the more senior players like big Guy can talk to McGhee if something's bothering them but there are ways to approach it.

Leon's general demeanour would suggest he's not the most tactful in the squad. And getting his agent to blab a glorified version to the media is hardly going to help is it?

The sooner he's gone the better, so the professionals that want to do a job can get on with it.

StevieV

Aug 13, 2003
Some good comments about his commitment to still doing his best if he does get a chance to play.

Good luck to the lad, I wish him well

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Would Understand if Knight Snr would be pissed he paid 100k for Knight and could lose him for nothing.

I doubt not playing Nicolas after begging for Knight to find the funds for him doesnt help nor the el turi mishap.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nicolas is still injured.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Knight: It's over for me
It seems certain Leon Knight will leave the Seagulls
It seems certain Leon Knight will leave the Seagulls

Leon Knight admitted today his Albion career is over following a bust-up on the team coach with manager Mark McGhee.

The pair fell out on the way to yesterday's game at Southampton after Knight voiced his disapproval over McGhee's decision to drop goalkeeper Michel Kuipers.

The striker, due to be on the bench, was axed from the squad and claims McGhee encouraged him at one point to get off the coach.

Knight, already on the transfer list at his own request, now seems certain to leave the Seagulls during this month's transfer window.

He said: "This leaves me with nowhere to go at Brighton. I'm not itching to get away, because I want to do well for the boys and the fans, but I've got to think about myself and how I am going to forward my career.

"The only way I can see I can do that now is by leaving Brighton."

The clash is the latest twist in a saga which began with Knight being dropped from the squad for the home game against Hull on December 16 and leaving Withdean in a huff without watching the match.

McGhee called into question his attitude, particularly to training, and he was in and out of the side over the three-match Christmas period after handing in a written transfer request.

Matters came to a head yesterday with Knight excluded from the starting line-up in the absence of ten players through injury, suspension and illness and Florent Chaigneau preferred in goal to Kuipers.

"I was trying to be a peacemaker over Michel being dropped and I got the rap for it," Knight said. "Michel was going into one with Dean White (coach) outside the coach as we left the hotel.

"I said to Michel 'It's done, the manager isn't going to change his mind. In my opinion they don't know what they are doing'.

"Later, on the coach, Dean White told me the manager wanted to speak to me. I told him in my opinion leaving Michel out was a mistake. He didn't like that and told me I was off the bench. I said 'You can do whatever you like, that's fine'. He said 'Okay then, get off the coach'. I would have if I could have but we were in the country somewhere and there was nowhere to get off.

After that the manager didn't want me in the changing room.

"I haven't got a problem with Mark McGhee, I think Mark McGhee has got a problem with me. Perhaps he doesn't like me mouthing off on the training field but I've always been the same, I speak my mind.

"If he thinks my attitude is wrong it isn't, I just want to win. Some managers accept the way I go on, some think it's offensive and they don't like it.

"I hear things like I turn up late for training. I live near Ascot and sometimes there are accidents or hold-ups on the M25. If I am going to be late I always call Bob Booker (assistant manager)."

Knight, signed by former manager Steve Coppell on a free transfer from Chelsea two seasons ago, accepts his days with Albion are now numbered. "I handed in a written transfer request about two weeks ago, a few days after the Hull game,"

he revealed. "I can't see a way for me to be at the club any longer, even though I'd love to be.

"I am prepared to go anywhere that I feel the management is right and where they play good football. I had no control over Mark McGhee joining the club. Steve Coppell left and went onto bigger and better things (at Reading).

"I'm not in a rush to go anywhere, I'm not desperate to get out and I'd like to stress that to the fans. If he (McGhee) wants to keep me on the bench then when I come on I will do my best."

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
I had no control over Mark McGhee joining the club. Steve Coppell left and went onto bigger and better things (at Reading).

Strange, I had LK down as a shortarsed thick as pig-shit twat before he said that.

He's gone up in my estimation.....

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Just appeared on the Argus site. Obviously two sides to the story, just that Leon has got his in first. Going by MMs previous "get off the coach" effort, there is probably a large amount of truth in this. He doesn't appear to be the best man-manager out there, but as the manager he is paid to manage, and the players are are paid to play, not to try and help manage. Leon was hardly helping matters by slagging MM off. I still think that MMs time is up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
HampshireSeagulls said:
but as the manager he is paid to manage, and the players are are paid to play,

damn good job he is not paid by results isn't it. He would owe us money now

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Turkey said:
If he (McGhee) wants to keep me on the bench then when I come on I will do my best."
The rest of the piece sort of made sense and then this appeared and ripped it all to shreds. If the performance Knight put in against Millwall after coming on as sub is 'doing his best' then we are best shot of him. He has never looked less interested than he did then. No point in having talent if you can't be arsed to use it

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
oh well just get what little money will be offered for him this month and try and do sopmething with it......

could of been a legend in the making but thanks remain anyway for you leading us to this division

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here