Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon and the Black Armband [Merged threads]

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Richie Morris said:
I think someone more in touch with the majority of Brighton fans would be better.

Someone off here, like Roz or Lush would be much better.

At what?

NickL

Aug 21, 2003
Brighton
The reason the guy had such a go at knight is because he's a friend of the Virgo family. I like knight as a player, but i thought he was completely out of order for swearing and gesturing at the crowd and it was a irresponsible thing to do in front of kids, who probably idlise him!
Most people at the club i've spoken to say knights got a bad attitude eg. telling a kid recently "i don't do autographs":nono:

Apparently he's in big trouble for todays incident as club officials are saying he incited the crowd.

Richie Morris said:
This is not just something target men can do. In fact I find that smaller, more agile forwards make far more runs off the ball. It just so happened we scored from the one McCammon did. Watch Hart do these all game.

In the Premiership, watch the movement of Defoe, Keane, Johnson and even Andy Cole. None of them target men but all experts and making distracting runs to create space for team mates.

Indeed, and all those Premiership strikers you mention have Premiership-class midfielders supplying them with the ball. We don't have those midfielders, and that's why we have to be more pragmatic. And please don't say Nicolas, the guy has barely one goal assist to his name this season.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
He spent the whole of the QPR game "picking at" the black "tsunami" armband. I think he just finds them uncomfortable and irritating.

There is no way he would be purposely disrespectful. Maybe he's got bigger biceps than most, what with all those press-ups.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is all a bit pathetic really.
I'm sure Leon, along with the team, have expressed their sympathies for Adam this week, probably in person. And they'll continue to help the fella when he returns to training. That'll be far more important than wearing a black bit of cloth during the Forest match.

A black armband is a token gesture, nothing more and nothing less. Some people seem to hold it up as some kind of mystical sacred symbol, and treat its removal like its like a "desicration". Utter tosh. The players - his teammates - will help Adam through this grim chapter in far more meaningful ways.

Its symptomatic of the recent trend of "emotional incontenance" that seems to take a grip on some people, who place so much importance on symbolic gestures and their meanings, and woe betide anyone who offends that symbolism. We had all the same old bollocks with Rooney and the Emlyn Hughes black armband epsiode. Neither Leon or Rooney discarded the armbands as a "f*** YOU" to anyone, but it seems people like Liz Costa and the "Your Shout" brigade in the tabloids are just itching to get all indignant about something.

Its all a load of old bollocks.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Easy 10 said:
A black armband is a token gesture, nothing more and nothing less. Some people seem to hold it up as some kind of mystical sacred symbol, and treat its removal like its like a "desicration". Utter tosh. The players - his teammates - will help Adam through this grim chapter in far more meaningful ways.

Its symptomatic of the recent trend of "emotional incontenance" that seems to take a grip on some people, who place so much importance on symbolic gestures and their meanings, and woe betide anyone who offends that symbolism. We had all the same old bollocks with Rooney and the Emlyn Hughes black armband epsiode.

Quello che ha detto.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Adam Virgo's Father, Leon Knight and Liz Costa

OK.. not too sure how long this is gonna be but I'd like to add my own view on this.

My father died when I was 22 years old in very sudden circumstances. I can understand what Adam is going through at the moment and believe me, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I also believe that today, having all your mates wearing black armbands in respect of your father, is an amazing way to show support for you and your family. Having said this I don't and will not berate Leon for what he did because in all honesty.. he did nothing. There is no disrespect from taking off an armband and throwing it.. none whatsoever. I am assuming that most people who feel Leon acted inappropriately still have their fathers with them because when you have lost yours any sort of support is welcome no matter how big or how small. As for Liz Costa, she is a rank old hag that should keep her mouth shut.

Rant over.. this is my first pissed off post and hopefully my last.

Last edited:

Oct 9, 2003
No matter what her opinion was of what leon did what did phoning up harty achieve.

One text has started an almighty witch hunt against one player who has just got over what appeared to be a confidence problem.

Nice one liz, who shall we start on next FDM, McGhee

Why oh why do people have to constanty winge and moan about tiny incidents that on the face of it arnt important.

Im sure leon had no intention of disrespecting adam or his family at this sad time but it seems to me that some people look for reasons to moan when things on the pitch are going it a bit better

GET BEHIND THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
If the armband was causing Leon some discomfort,surely he could have discreetly taken it off and passed it to the bench,explaining his reasons.There were plenty of breaks in play today when he could have this. The way he tore it off and threw it on the ground made him appear disrespectful,thus provoking the abuse.

NickL

Aug 21, 2003
Brighton
Easy 10 said:
This is all a bit pathetic really.
I'm sure Leon, along with the team, have expressed their sympathies for Adam this week, probably in person. And they'll continue to help the fella when he returns to training. That'll be far more important than wearing a black bit of cloth during the Forest match.

Its symptomatic of the recent trend of "emotional incontenance" that seems to take a grip on some people, who place so much importance on symbolic gestures and their meanings, and woe betide anyone who offends that symbolism. We had all the same old bollocks with Rooney and the Emlyn Hughes black armband epsiode. Neither Leon or Rooney discarded the armbands as a "f*** YOU" to anyone, but it seems people like Liz Costa and the "Your Shout" brigade in the tabloids are just itching to get all indignant about something.

Its all a load of old bollocks.

I agree, but his reaction to the crowd was poor and isn't something i like to see from one of my favourite players.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
NickL said:

Most people at the club i've spoken to say knights got a bad attitude eg. telling a kid recently "i don't do autographs":nono:

I saw Leon go over and sign autographs today and on many other occasions. He just doesn't like the black armbands. Shame as I've said before he wasn't more discreet but that is him. The guy had just missed a penalty and a good chance when the crowd barracked him what sort of reponse do they expect ?

larus

Richie, I often agree with your posts, however, I think McCammon does add something to our play. He creates problems for opposition defences.

Granted, he's no Michael Owen, more of a Heskey, but (according to general comments that I've read), a lot of managers didn't like to play against Heskey because he was such a big, strong target man.

As so many people are keen to say 'The tables don't lie'. Well, if thats' the case, nor do the form tables. Our form this season has been it's best with McCammon playing.

I would welcome him back until the end of next season, and if MM thinks he can get more from him, then I'll trust his judgement for next season.

I'll admit that at time it's frustrating when he fail with a simple pass or his control lets him down, but tother times he'll pressure a defender into mistakes and cause them to concede corners, throw-ins in dangerous positions.

I think he is a better stike partner for LK then OGH, Move OGH to wing-back. Strong in the tackle, and has rediscovered his best form again going forward.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He deliberately missed the penalty as a personal mark of disrespect to Adam Virgo's dad, and for that he should be hung

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
larus said:
Richie, I often agree with your posts, however, I think McCammon does add something to our play. He creates problems for opposition defences.

Granted, he's no Michael Owen, more of a Heskey, but (according to general comments that I've read), a lot of managers didn't like to play against Heskey because he was such a big, strong target man.

As so many people are keen to say 'The tables don't lie'. Well, if thats' the case, no do the form tables. Our form this season has been it's best with McCammon playing.

I would welcome him back until the end of next season, and if MM thinks he can get more from him, then I'll trust his judgement for next season.

I'll admit that at time it's frustrating when he fail with a simple pass or his control lets him down, but tother times he'll pressure a defender into mistakes and cause them to concede corners, throw-ins in dangerous positions.

I think he is a better stike partner for KN then OGH, Move OGH to wing-back. Strong in the tackle, and has rediscovered his best form again going forward.

Yet more sense from larus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here