Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Barnard!?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
He ALWAYS scored at Withdean. I always wanted him to sign for us, but not sure if now isn't a bit late. Hopefully it's something in the Brighton air and not just a Withdean thing!

Is his legal case all done and dusted now?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Tell you what, add Beckford, Murray, Zamora, Barnard and Heskey to the squad and SURELY that would sort out our goalscoring problems...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Thing is that if players like Murray and Barnard are coming in as 2nd / 3rd / 4th striker, then great. If it's as the number 1, then it seems to me we have a great team, which is so painfully and disappointingly let down by the lack of quality up front. :(

We have #1 - CMS.

I know it's hypothetical as neither of these moves might come off, but CMS + Barnard, Murray, Barnes (when he's not on midfield duty) & Toby, and then factor in a goalscoring midfield - Vicente, Buckley, LuaLua, Noone (form looks patchy but did weigh in with a few last year), Crofts (used to be a goalscorer anyways!).

That, to me, is a very much improved squad from last year.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I think some of you need to wake up with your expectations ! he wouldn't be my 1st choice but he's s proven goalscorer who has never really had a chance above league one,he's 28 and would probably be realistic in what we can afford which many of the people mentioned before aren't.just because we have made a few big named signings doesn't mean every signing needs to be that way we are still growing as a club and bringing barnard in on loan would give us a chance to have a look at him....if it works great there's talk of 500k being what saints are looking for if it doesn't hopefully we might have someone else lined up but what was apparent on Tuesday is we need a goalscorer because as much as I like ash and as hard as he works he generally needs a decent amount of chances a goal and isn't a out an out finisher.
Yes I know he scored 0 in 9 last season but 8 off those games were off the bench,he got 9 mins against us at st Mary's and that was the case in most of those appearances last season.just because cms hasnt yet bridged the gap doesn't mean everyone will so if he's the man lets give him a chance and support and see what happens

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
Cheers mate.

The highlighted bit in your post sounds like a certain player we already have... who has struggled a tad!

Craig Mackail-Smith? I would say Lee is a more clever player. Whereas Mackail-Smith runs and runs and runs, whether it's a good run or not, Lee is more crafty finding gaps and a couple yards space in a crammed penalty area.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Tell you what, add Beckford, Barnard, Murray, Zamora and Heskey to the squad, and that should SURELY solve our goalscoring problems? Five up front, anyone?

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
People should really stop slating CMS. At least give him a chance this season. Beginning of last season he looked quality. People now seem to think Barnes is our best striker, he is good but CMS is better.
Last season none of our players scored many goals, and Barnes got to profit from wingers work because he took the penalties.

Some players don't adapt quickly, doesn't mean they won't adapt.
Edin Dzeko joined Man City at the end of a season and wasn't that impressive, then next season he was scoring hat-tricks and doing really well.

Then he got replaced by aguero/tevez/balotelli.
Actually I feel sorry for Dzeko, whos with me?

EDIT- my point seems unclear from reading this back.
My point is that CMS is not a young player, and he came from a style of play that was along way from ours. He was asked to do a job that he wasn't doing at Peterborough. He is still the best technical and physical striker we have. I believe he will adapt better this season and we will see why people rated him so highly.
As for Lee Barnard . . He'd do okay possibly better than hoskins.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think some of you need to wake up with your expectations ! he wouldn't be my 1st choice but he's s proven goalscorer who has never really had a chance above league one,he's 28 and would probably be realistic in what we can afford which many of the people mentioned before aren't.just because we have made a few big named signings doesn't mean every signing needs to be that way we are still growing as a club and bringing barnard in on loan would give us a chance to have a look at him....if it works great there's talk of 500k being what saints are looking for if it doesn't hopefully we might have someone else lined up but what was apparent on Tuesday is we need a goalscorer because as much as I like ash and as hard as he works he generally needs a decent amount of chances a goal and isn't a out an out finisher.
Yes I know he scored 0 in 9 last season but 8 off those games were off the bench,he got 9 mins against us at st Mary's and that was the case in most of those appearances last season.just because cms hasnt yet bridged the gap doesn't mean everyone will so if he's the man lets give him a chance and support and see what happens

This...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not a long-term answer, but after Tuesday night, I'd say he's a decent option to give us more options up front. I've always quite rated Barnard myself.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bunny says he will be proved right about the AEB striker today or tomorrow - Barnard has the letters but is not over six foot, so this isn't the one Bunny was talking about before (maybe being made to fit most of the old clues??)

Well I think it unlikely that we'd make any signings tomorrow, so surely if there is anything in what he says then today is the day.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We have #1 - CMS.

I know it's hypothetical as neither of these moves might come off, but CMS + Barnard, Murray, Barnes (when he's not on midfield duty) & Toby, and then factor in a goalscoring midfield - Vicente, Buckley, LuaLua, Noone (form looks patchy but did weigh in with a few last year), Crofts (used to be a goalscorer anyways!).

That, to me, is a very much improved squad from last year.

This with bells on it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a few Lee Barnard threads on here that will be bounced, and make uncomfortable and amusing reading, if he signs and we all fall in love with him...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here