Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Barnard!?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Lee Barnard is 5ft 10...... how does this fill our supposed remit of a target man?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Lee Barnard is 5ft 10...... how does this fill our supposed remit of a target man?

Same size as Mark Hughes. If he has the strength and control to hold players off, he doesnt need the height. Especially as we don't tend to hoof it. We just need someone with good close control than can hold it up and distribute (then score).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
One of the best target men in the business is Kevin Davies, he is only 6ft. One of the worst is Peter Crouch he is 6ft 7". It isn't about winning headers, it is about holding the ball up, holding defenders off and bringing the midfield into play.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I was told by a "source" (yes, one of them, but the identity is irrelevant now) that we were going in for Barnard last summer. Obviously it was wrong, but I was actually quite happy about it at the time. If it's cover until Hoskins is back, them I'm quite happy now - though looking forward to Hoskins getting a run with CMS to see how it can work out.

Though CMS, Vicente & Crofts linking up is something I'm looking forward to anyway...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I was told by a "source" (yes, one of them, but the identity is irrelevant now) that we were going in for Barnard last summer. Obviously it was wrong, but I was actually quite happy about it at the time. If it's cover until Hoskins is back, them I'm quite happy now - though looking forward to Hoskins getting a run with CMS to see how it can work out.

Though CMS, Vicente & Crofts linking up is something I'm looking forward to anyway...

We were DEFINITELY after him when he left Southend too. Fact.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
After Bruno, Bridge, Vicente, Crofts and Kusazak,,,,would be very underwhelmed if Barnard was the best striker we could get. That said, I have always maintained we need two strikers and i'd take Barnard as the second striker,,,i.e back up/bench warmer who maybe forces himself into the starting line up on form alone.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Better than no body . Another option for us which we don't currently have. May come good with us as well . Amazed people slagging off when we are in a pretty critical state with striker numbers

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Loan Ranger

I thought Lee Barnard was better than Chaplow. I think Barnard has been injured. He looked likely to score against us when he came on as substitite late on against ten men though. I don't think he is the player we need though. A transfer fee would be involved if it is a permanent transfer.

A departure from our team? Noone oor Hoskins (or both) would be most likely to make way?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
You're quite right, I don't. However, I still believe that whatever our budget is we can do better than Barnard.

Go on, give us at least one name.

Because you must have players in your mind to throw out such a statement. Otherwise you'd be happy with Barnard.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we'd already signed, say, Zamora, Santa Cruz, or even Beckford, then I think this potential signing would be a lot more popular. It's the possibility that this could be the main striker signing which worries me.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Better than no body . Another option for us which we don't currently have. May come good with us as well . Amazed people slagging off when we are in a pretty critical state with striker numbers

Yup, not every player has to be an improvement on the first team. Our squad is paper thin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here