Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Barnard!?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another point on this, I remember a lot of people being very underwhelmed when we signed John Byrne and Mike Small. Neither had a great record at the time, but both gelled immediately and fired us to the play offs in the same league. Sometimes the right combination of players is more important thatn the individual quality. And anyway Barnard is no mug.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see that Wikipedia have him down as a Brighton player, having him joining us on a season long loan as of today. I also see SaintsHub have described him thus:

"In July 2011 Barnard signed a new contract with Southampton, keeping him at the club until 2014. He spent the first few months of the 2011/12 season on the sidelines, making his first competitive appearance from the bench against Crystal Palace on October 25th 2011. Barnard made a few more sporadic appearances throughout 2011/12, but never looked anything like a capable Championship player. In fact, you barely even noticed him the few times he ventured onto the field. Barnard was cleared assault in April 2012."

I see he finished 2010/11 on the sidelines with injury and had this court case in the background throughout most of the 2011/12 season, after which time he was cleared. He's also in the prime of his career at 28. It sounds as though a 3-month loan deal would certainly be worthwhile to add to the squad and cover Hoskins, but it's in that same category as Vokes and Paynter.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Go on, give us at least one name.

Because you must have players in your mind to throw out such a statement. Otherwise you'd be happy with Barnard.

Not exactly. Not knowing what the fee is makes it difficult to say that Player X, Y or Z would be better than Barnard. However, and I'd loved to be proved wrong, I think that with our scouting network and budget we can do better than Barnard. I do think he's a decent player btw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lee Barnard is 5ft 10...... how does this fill our supposed remit of a target man?

He is very strong in the air and also good at holding the ball up. making a couple of yards in the box and bringing other players into the game. For all the experts who say he isnt good enough please answer me one question we are losing 1-0 and not looking like scoring despite having brought on Lua Lua and Buckley with 1 substitution left who do we bring on to possibly score a goal.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
By Monday we will be signing Mark Farrington

I remember going to a pre-season game at the Goldstone with my dad just after Farrington had finally been released. My dad launched into an extended rant about "that bloody useless striker we got from some Dutch team, cost us an arm and a leg, couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, worst signing ever" etc etc - oblivious to the fact that the man himself was sitting directly behind us.

Still, I suppose it's nothing he wouldn't have heard before.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is very strong in the air and also good at holding the ball up. making a couple of yards in the box and bringing other players into the game. For all the experts who say he isnt good enough please answer me one question we are losing 1-0 and not looking like scoring despite having brought on Lua Lua and Buckley with 1 substitution left who do we bring on to possibly score a goal.

Hoskins

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I see that Wikipedia have him down as a Brighton player, having him joining us on a season long loan as of today. I also see SaintsHub have described him thus:

"In July 2011 Barnard signed a new contract with Southampton, keeping him at the club until 2014. He spent the first few months of the 2011/12 season on the sidelines, making his first competitive appearance from the bench against Crystal Palace on October 25th 2011. Barnard made a few more sporadic appearances throughout 2011/12, but never looked anything like a capable Championship player. In fact, you barely even noticed him the few times he ventured onto the field. Barnard was cleared assault in April 2012."

I see he finished 2010/11 on the sidelines with injury and had this court case in the background throughout most of the 2011/12 season, after which time he was cleared. He's also in the prime of his career at 28. It sounds as though a 3-month loan deal would certainly be worthwhile to add to the squad and cover Hoskins, but it's in that same category as Vokes and Paynter.

mr spazs work

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
talkSAINTS‏@talkSAINTS

Lee Barnard is off to Brighton. Gives us a little £££ to put towards a CB and any other transfers. He would never get to play. #Saintsfc

Retweeted by NW Sussex Seagulls

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington

Well, not what my colleague at work says. He is a hardcore Saints fan and has been a season ticket holder for years. Asked him about Barnard and he is certainly not a target man, hold the ball up type player according to him. He was surprised we are linked to him as he has him down as a League 1 player at best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here