Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Barnard!?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Gus -

“I wanted to get Lee Barnard and (Jason) Puncheon in January, because I knew they were available, but I couldn’t even pay half what they are earning at Southampton.

“I know Lee Barnard very well because I played with him in the reserves, coming back from injury at Tottenham. He was a proven goalscorer with Southend but I couldn’t get him. "

Albion can't afford proven goal-getter From The Argus)

That article was from MAY 2012. We were at Withdean, and in League 1. If you change the names though, it sounds like the same moans from Gus about strikers as we still get. Surely it is about time that the Club just recognised what decent strikers cost?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This one seems realistic... yes, he had a bad season complicated by injury and off-field problems last season, but if Gus thinks he can do a good job in the Championship, then that's good enough for me...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
This one seems realistic... yes, he had a bad season complicated by injury and off-field problems last season, but if Gus thinks he can do a good job in the Championship, then that's good enough for me...

But Gus thought that CMS would be able to? And spunked a load of money on him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rates him for League 1. He, like CMS, has now proven himself as useless in The Championship.

Nothing like keeping an open mind and giving potential new players a chance!

CMS WILL come good, the supply line WILL be improved this season...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
How can anybody genuinely believe that Barnard coming here on a loan is a bad idea. Anyone at Swindon on tuesday would know that we lack cutting edge and increasing our short term options can only be good.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thing is that if players like Murray and Barnard are coming in as 2nd / 3rd / 4th striker, then great. If it's as the number 1, then it seems to me we have a great team, which is so painfully and disappointingly let down by the lack of quality up front. :(

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I used to rate Lee Barnard very very highly. Thought he was quality. Then he moved to Southampton and they had a lot of strikers and he didn't really get a look in.

Seems to me the same thing as happened to bobby Z when he went to Spurs and then for a while West Ham. There is nothing to say that he has lost the class that he had, he just made a bad move. Arguably the same thing happened to Beckford and Murray. Players can suddenly start scoring big goals at new clubs with different styles, more opportunites and a manager that believes in them. Who would have thought Iwelumo would go on to score as many as he did for example?

So I say it's possibly a cracking signing, albeit with an element of risk. I would however like to see Beckford or someone similar also appear, but suspect that would mean CMS going.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I assume after the game in midweek, someone spotted something in him that made them think he would fit into our system.

Why not get him in on loan till Xmas? Have a look and if he does the business we sign him. If not send him away.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
He thought that about Billy Paynter.

Let's face it, I love Gus but his track record with strikers is not brilliant!

It's actually very poor but no doubt he's learning.

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
Morning all. Saw this on Saintsweb and wondered what your thoughts would be.

I think Barnard would be a cracking addition to any Championship side. His work rate, movement and ability to find the back of the net is very good. As a striker he is also very good at getting fouled, like Shearer was back in the day, when isolated or holding the ball up. Any opposing defences had a real work out when playing against Barnard and Lambert as the movement and work rate was a lot to contend with. That's my opinion anyway.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Bunny says he will be proved right about the AEB striker today or tomorrow - Barnard has the letters but is not over six foot, so this isn't the one Bunny was talking about before (maybe being made to fit most of the old clues??)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Morning all. Saw this on Saintsweb and wondered what your thoughts would be.

I think Barnard would be a cracking addition to any Championship side. His work rate, movement and ability to find the back of the net is very good. As a striker he is also very good at getting fouled, like Shearer was back in the day, when isolated or holding the ball up. Any opposing defences had a real work out when playing against Barnard and Lambert as the movement and work rate was a lot to contend with. That's my opinion anyway.

Cheers mate.

The highlighted bit in your post sounds like a certain player we already have... who has struggled a tad!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here