Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC at it again.

Barrel of Fun said:
I would assume they have to live in the ward to run in it???
No. You have to live or work or own property in Lewes District. There's no requirement to have any connection with the ward in which a candidate stands.

Although it obviously helps if you want to get a lot of votes.

Curious Orange said:
Yet again absolutely contemptible behaviour from LDC. They have 24 working days to answer the following FOUR questions:

a) The location of the site of the proposed development in relation to the built-up area of Brighton and Hove as identified in the adopted Local Plan 2005; and the significance of that location for the purposes of the Secretary of State's further consideration of the applications, having regard to policies in the adopted Brighton and Hove Local Plan 2005, the East Sussex Structure Plan 1991-2011 and the adopted Lewes District Local Plan 2003;

b) The interpretation and application to these planning applications of the Government's policy in relation to development in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs) as stated in Planning Policy Statement 7 (PPS7); including, in particular, consideration of the need for the proposed development, having regard to:

* any national considerations;
* the need for regeneration;
* the impact of permitting the proposed development, or refusing it, upon the local economy;

c) The approach to assessment of the alternative sites put forward for consideration by the Secretary of State; and the merits of those sites including, in particular, the accessibility of the Sheepcote Valley site;

d) Any new matters or changes of circumstances (including in relation to the proposed designation of the South Downs National Park) which the parties consider to be material to the Secretary of State's further consideration of these applications.
There is nothing even vaguely complicated in there.

Agreed.

And this ISN'T an invitation to LDC to assemble NEW EVIDENCE.

It's an invitation to them to comment on Prescott's decision and identify ways he MIGHT have made it incorrectly.

LDC, however, have decided to engage consultants to assemble and present new evidence. The government should tell them to f*** off.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Lord Bracknell said:
There is nothing even vaguely complicated in there.

Agreed.

And this ISN'T an invitation to LDC to assemble NEW EVIDENCE.

It's an invitation to them to comment on Prescott's decision and identify ways he MIGHT have made it incorrectly.

LDC, however, have decided to engage consultants to assemble and present new evidence. The government should tell them to f*** off. [/B][/QUOTE]

So why aren't the Labour MPs in Brighton and Hove telling Kelly (as in the Ruth version) that LDC have had more than enough time to prepare their comments on JPs decision?

Surely the government, when it knows the facts, will tell LDC to get on with it. They have to be told the facts though first.

Lord Bracknell said:
The government should tell them to f*** off.

Maybe we should all write to "The Government" and ask them to tell LDC to f*** Off. I'm sure we can remind them of all of the reasons why they should be told to f*** off?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Lord Bracknell said:
I speculate ...

February ... LDC submit new evidence.

March ... The Football Club respond with a rebuttal.

April ... The Secretary of State decides that the only way to deal with the conflicting evidence is to re-open the Inquiry.

LDC put out a statement to the effect that they didn't want the Inquiry re-opened, but it wasn't them wot dun it, it was the Secretary of State.

And they've worked this scenario out already.

This is a DISGRACE. And a complete abuse of the planning system.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
This response coming from a well-informed and optimistic nsc legend shows that we really are up against it. English planning law and culture is totally in favour of small-minded nimbyism.
So what are we going to do to save our club?
It seems to me that we have achieved absolutely nothing by our good humoured, nice supporters' club inspired protests. Surely the time has come to put some serious pressure on the anti-sport, LibDem toffs in Lewes.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Like I said before, the Labour MPs of Brighton and Hove must start putting pressure on Kelly. She has to tell them as Lord B put it to "f*** off"

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
As the club says.The points LDC are trying to raise has nothing to do with the challenge of Presscotts decision so therefore i believe like the club Kelly will turn it down.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
mona said:
We need to make more noise about this. We must save the Albion from these LibDem nimby gangsters.

So how do we do this?

We need to mobilise the troops and fight the fight, legally, of course.

Is there any chance we can get an "insider" to divulge how much LDC have spent fighting this campaign? That would be valueble info to put on the leaflet drop, just before the elections

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
On May 4th 2005 it was this (I asked under the FoI Act)

Counsel's fees £81,094.50
Transport Witness fess £38,224.08
Contaminated Land Expert fees £19,746.36
Planning Witness fees £14,312.15
Stadia Expert fees £18,000
Printing/copying charges £1,005.04
Public transport,parking,subsistence £182.70
Other expenses £939.05

I bet it's since gone up a little bit -- legal and officer costs, mostly. But there hasn't been any significant Public Inquiry action since then, so this is a reasonable ballpark estimate.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
Like I said before, the Labour MPs of Brighton and Hove must start putting pressure on Kelly. She has to tell them as Lord B put it to "f*** off"
Good point. And lets hope the other Lord B (assam) can use his influence. We must start to fight as dirty as the gangsters.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
mona said:
This response coming from a well-informed and optimistic nsc legend shows that we really are up against it. English planning law and culture is totally in favour of small-minded nimbyism.
So what are we going to do to save our club?
It seems to me that we have achieved absolutely nothing by our good humoured, nice supporters' club inspired protests. Surely the time has come to put some serious pressure on the anti-sport, LibDem toffs in Lewes.

I've got a lot of sympathy for that viewpoint. But the main reason not to engage in more direct action is that might undermine the efforts of people, some on here, who have invested an obscene amount of time and effort trying to do it the right way. Until they say so, obviously.

We have actually achieved a hell of a lot - it's just that virtually no other club in the country has had to put up with this shit from an affected council, most are supportive.

And let's be honest, there are clubs who have got their grounds by building a roundabout here or an access road there, because they've got more cash. Way of the world. How exactly Arsenal got their ground past NIMBYS who had more of a case than ours, we may never fully know.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
I've got a lot of sympathy for that viewpoint. But the main reason not to engage in more direct action is that might undermine the efforts of people, some on here, who have invested an obscene amount of time and effort trying to do it the right way. Until they say so, obviously.

We have actually achieved a hell of a lot - it's just that virtually no other club in the country has had to put up with this shit from an affected council, most are supportive.

And let's be honest, there are clubs who have got their grounds by building a roundabout here or an access road there, because they've got more cash. Way of the world. How exactly Arsenal got their ground past NIMBYS who had more of a case than ours, we may never fully know.
Colchester's ground, supported by MP Bob Russell, a LibDem pal of Faker's who doesn't support us, will have one access road and no rail link.
That is one reason why I feel we have wasted our time being nice to the LibDems.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is there an address we can use to write to Ruth Kelly and tell them about the delaying tactics and request they don't extend the deadline?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You know, with all this rain I almost wish that there was a little bit of flooding in Lewes, just so that the constituents there know that their Council Tax is being well spent.

mona said:
We need to make more noise about this. We must save the Albion from these LibDem nimby gangsters.
Please don't imagine that nothing has been happening over the past few days. The fact that the noise can't be heard everywhere doesn't mean that it isn't happening somewhere.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Lord Bracknell said:
Please don't imagine that nothing has been happening over the past few days. The fact that the noise can't be heard everywhere doesn't mean that it isn't happening somewhere.

I would imagine that the club aren't the only "interested party" who are noisily pointing out that LDC are taking the piss again. This is another skiing delay after all.

Curious Orange said:
I would imagine that the club aren't the only "interested party" who are noisily pointing out that LDC are taking the piss again. This is another skiing delay after all.
As it happens, I bumped into LDC's notorious skier on Lewes station on Saturday. He was on his way to Twickenham for the rugby.

He looked happy, in the way that consultants always look happy when they've just received a new commission.

Didn't Tony Blair say at the party conference that this had been going on far too long? I trust someone has pointed this out to Ruth Kelly.

I suppose if LDC were suddenly asked for their views on something that they had no previous knowledge of the 24 days would be too short but they have known for months that the letter from Ruth Kelly was coming and what it would contain.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bearing in mind that the Treasury Solicitor offered to keep the case out of court, and Lewes shoved it back in their face, claiming that they felt they weren't being properly heard, and wanting further assurances, and then - having not got those assuranes because none were necessary - decided not to go to court anyway SEVEN MONTHS LATER, the government is not best pleased with LDC's behaviour.

They don't do themselves any favours, and logic ought to dictate that the government would tell them to get stuffed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here