Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC at it again.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Barrel of Fun said:
a point of information - After consulting a member of the Falmer4All 'faction' the emphathis seemed to be on holding back on our writing for the time being. We must not put any unreasonable pressure on Ruth Kelly to make a decision.
I'm sorry, maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but that strikes me as exactly the kind of bobble-hatted 'let's not rock the boat' twaddle that has kept us on the back foot for so long. When IS the right time to write? When she's decided to give LDC to July 31st 2008?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Barrel of Fun said:
Just a point of information - After consulting a member of the Falmer4All 'faction' the emphathis seemed to be on holding back on our writing for the time being. We must not put any unreasonable pressure on Ruth Kelly to make a decision.

Agreed, this really did cease to be 'our' fight once the second Inquiry finished. This procedural stuff is crap, we all know it, we just have to be patient and let the bureaucracy get on with it. Writing to government officials would only hinder things at this point.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Agreed Barrel of Fun, but let us be more specific. We are not putting pressure on Ruth Kelly to make a decision, we are putting pressure on the government to stop LDC's unreasonable delaying tactics - there is a big difference.

In my opinion, we should be doing everything we can to show how underhand LDC have been, but being careful to use plain facts and figures, rather than emotional supposition

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wanderer said:
Agreed Barrel of Fun, but let us be more specific. We are not putting pressure on Ruth Kelly to make a decision, we are putting pressure on the government to stop LDC's unreasonable delaying tactics - there is a big difference.

In my opinion, we should be doing everything we can to show how underhand LDC have been, but being careful to use plain facts and figures, rather than emotional supposition

Oh yes – I just thought it would be a good time to point out that we must be responsible and if people were thinking of writing, then it is important to bear this in mind. However, I think we are underestimating the DCLG; they will be well aware of what is/has been going on, with the variety of delaying tactics.

As Curious says, we just have to be patient.

Perhaps wait until this next stage has been completed – the seeking of further representations, then write to our local MPs if that would help.

Last edited:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Unfortunately they have us over a Barel, if we get 'Angry' as people put it we put ourselves in Danger of looking like a bunch of childish fugs and to the general uninformed outsider they look like they are just sticking up for their constituents.

On the other hand they have delayed this by over a year and look set on continuing to spoil at every turn in the hope that we just build somewhere else or run out of money. Which obviously gets us F**KING ANGRY!

Our only hope of realy hurting this bunch of W**kers is that the seagulls party gives them a very bloody nose next spring. And I urge as many people as possible to get out there and canvass as I see this as our only way to hit these BASTARDS!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Barrel of Fun said:
Oh yes – I just thought it would be a good time to point out that we must be responsible and if people were thinking of writing, then it is important to bear this in mind. However, I think we are underestimating the DCLG; they will be well aware of what is/has been going on, with the variety of delaying tactics.

As Curious says, we just have to be patient.

Perhaps wait until this next stage has been completed – the seeking of further representations, then write to our local MPs if that would help.

Good point!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Just a point of information - After consulting a member of the Falmer4All 'faction' the emphathis seemed to be on holding back on our writing for the time being. We must not put any unreasonable pressure on Ruth Kelly to make a decision.

Thats why we need to hit back locally. Why aren't we motivating ourselves as "fans" and "general public" and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We don't want to go under the banner of "Falmer4All" or "BHA FC" but normal people concerned about a useless council.

Am I the only one seeing it this way?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Caveman said:
Thats why we need to hit back locally. Why aren't we motivating ourselves as "fans" and "general public" and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We don't want to go under the banner of "Falmer4All" or "BHA FC" but normal people concerned about a useless council.

Am I the only one seeing it this way?
No you are not. I totally agree and I'm in the middle of writing to my MP (David Lepper) anyway. Sod the FFA team, they're not infalliable.

Barrel of Fun said:

Brovian said:
I'm sorry, maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but that strikes me as exactly the kind of bobble-hatted 'let's not rock the boat' twaddle that has kept us on the back foot for so long. When IS the right time to write? When she's decided to give LDC to July 31st 2008?

I guess I'd better take responsibility for dishing out the advice that BoF has mentioned - even if I don't recognise myself as a bobble hat or purveyor of "'let's not rock the boat' twaddle".

It was in a PM, sent a couple of weeks ago, before the developments at the end of last week:-

Lord Bracknell wrote on 17-11-2006 13:51 :

Reasons for NOT bombarding Ms Kelly with letters just now ...

The process has reached the stage where further representations are being sought from interested parties. These have to be sent to the civil servants, who have to consider them carefully. They also have to copy all correspondence to other interested parties.

If the Falmer For All team got a mass-letter writing campaign going, Ruth Kelly's civil servants would be obliged to notify LDC and Falmer Parish Council that this was happening ... and it would give our opponents the opportunity to complain to the Secretary of State about unreasonable pressure being applied by the Planning Applicant.

The risks of any campaign backfiring are enormous - and the consequences could be catastrophic.

Once the period for formal representations is over, the circumstances change.

FFA has met since then to discuss campaign plans - but that was on the basis that the end of the period for formal representations would be 28 December.

The developments of last week might justify a change of plan - but (for the moment) we are still waiting to hear if LDC's request for extended time will be accepted or rejected by Ruth Kelly's department. Very strong representations have been made to get them to reject the request.

In the meantime, I do suggest that people hold back - for the reasons spelt out in my PM to BoF.

But be assured - The Seagulls Party is gearing up for a MASSIVE political campaign against our enemies at LDC.

As for Brovian's suggestion that letters to local MPs might help ... I agree entirely.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All the way back on page four, I suggested the the decision will be made on planning and legal issues, not headlines and spin...

Voroshilov said:
I think that's incredibly naive
Well, it's been the case so far. Show me the evidence that it is now going to be any different, and that the cleverest PR gurus are going to prevail.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brovian said:
That all SOUNDS very good but the reality is different - it's a war and LDC are winning.
Absolute 24-carat twaddle.

They have done nothing to reverse the process, only delay it, something which is not very difficult seeing how slowly government processes work. The government has shown NO signs of changing its mind on the Falmer issue, nor is it likely to. Lewes are delaying - not winning. BIG difference.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The Large One said:
Absolute 24-carat twaddle.

They have done nothing to reverse the process, only delay it, something which is not very difficult seeing how slowly government processes work. The government has shown NO signs of changing its mind on the Falmer issue, nor is it likely to. Lewes are delaying - not winning. BIG difference.
An additional worry might be that Lewes DC realise that if they can delay the decision until there is another general election, no party except Labour is likely to support the stadium.

Perhaps the point of this thread is to exhale some of the frustration many of us feel from LDC's underhand tactics.

When are we likely to know whether DeSnobbi's mob have succeeded with their 2 month delay?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
mona said:
An additional worry might be that Lewes DC realise that if they can delay the decision until there is another general election, no party except Labour is likely to support the stadium.

Perhaps the point of this thread is to exhale some of the frustration many of us feel from LDC's underhand tactics.

When are we likely to know whether DeSnobbi's mob have succeeded with their 2 month delay?
Probably next couple of days - pretty soon at any rate.

If they managed to delay is until the next general election - we would all go and buy a gun.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:

As for Brovian's suggestion that letters to local MPs might help ... I agree entirely.

The problem here is that where I live in HH the local MP is Nicholas Soames who has stated that he is against Falmer as he believes it to be the wrong site. So what hope is there if you write to him?

BensGrandad said:
The problem here is that where I live in HH the local MP is Nicholas Soames who has stated that he is against Falmer as he believes it to be the wrong site. So what hope is there if you write to him?

None-unless you've got some dirt to dish up about him.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BensGrandad said:

At least if he started receiving many letters about it, he would have to take note of his constituents feelings, even if he didn't change his mind.

He's no longer my MP, but when he was, I never even got the courtesy of an acknowledgement from his office, let alone a reply to my letters and faxes. It didn't stop me writing to him again, though.

Keep letting the local MPs know we will not go away and we may just manage to get the message through to them that they have to take us seriously.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
sully said:
He's no longer my MP, but when he was, I never even got the courtesy of an acknowledgement from his office, let alone a reply to my letters and faxes. It didn't stop me writing to him again, though.

In fairness to him whenever I have written to him on any subject he has always replied even about FALMER to tell me that he couldnt do anything because he didnt think that was the best available site. Completely wrong but at least he made his views known.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
BensGrandad said:
In fairness to him whenever I have written to him on any subject he has always replied even about FALMER to tell me that he couldnt do anything because he didnt think that was the best available site. Completely wrong but at least he made his views known.

And that is why those of us in Mid Sussex need to bombard the Lib Dem prospective candidate with letters and emails about Falmer. Soames will state his position on Falmer whereas Teirney, his Lib Dem opposition still refuses to say anything as she claims it is accepted parliamentary practice not to comment on planning issues outside of her constituency. Clearly this is rubbish as Soames has proved. Mid Sussex is on the list of most winnable Lib Dem seats in the country (can't see it ever happening myself) and there is pressure and the potential for embarrassment that we can apply in this constituency. It may not do a great deal but sometimes just doing something is better than nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here