Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Larry Boyd rejoins the Albion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The man hasnt worked full-time for close to 15 years.....what are the club doing?

Is this another way of saving £100 p/month

Why couldnt we bring in a decent cheif scout from another club...a man that has a background of un-earthing greats.

Why did we employ that bloke from millwall....as cheif exec...why not bring in Brian Horton or Kurt Nogan to do it?

:lolol: In the long and illustrious history of daft posts from you, that one must be nudging into the top five.

One, he has worked full-time in the past 15 years.
Two, this is an extra expense, so how can the club be saving £100 month?
Three, Barry Lloyd has a decent track record of unearthing internationals for us.
Four, did you want a 'high-profile' scout who would cost us a fortune? If so, can you name one?
Five, you want Brian Horton or Kurt Nogan to be in charge of the day-to-day running of the club? That's f***ing GENIUS. I just wished I'd thought of it.

Me and my partner met Kurt Nogan recenty and Kerry Mayo's testimonial bash after the game. He spent the evening drunkenly gawping down my partner's cleavage. I mean, what a pig - he never even gave my cleavage a second glance.

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
Does a smoking ban at Withdean apply to scouts too?

Or has Bazza given up? He used to be surrounded by a smokey haze wherever he went.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
:lolol: In the long and illustrious history of daft posts from you, that one must be nudging into the top five.

One, he has worked full-time in the past 15 years.
Two, this is an extra expense, so how can the club be saving £100 month?
Three, Barry Lloyd has a decent track record of unearthing internationals for us.
Four, did you want a 'high-profile' scout who would cost us a fortune? If so, can you name one?
Five, you want Brian Horton or Kurt Nogan to be in charge of the day-to-day running of the club? That's f***ing GENIUS. I just wished I'd thought of it.

Me and my partner met Kurt Nogan recenty and Kerry Mayo's testimonial bash after the game. He spent the evening drunkenly gawping down my partner's cleavage. I mean, what a pig - he never even gave my cleavage a second glance.

Oh come on MASSIVE one....you look at my post too seriously my dear freind.

I was meaning....He hasnt worked on the scouting/management side for 15 years..ie employed by a football club on a full-time basis...

Two......I was meaning have they employed him on the cheap instead of employing a well known name in the scouting business who would have coset more...but you pay for what you get.

Three I cant argue with...but it was a long long long time ago.

Four....doesnt have to be high profile....just a good track record and is working for a lower league club....and wants to make the step up.

Five was a joke and im surprised you failed to see that...

I have heard that about Nogan....one of my best mates brothers had a fight with him....cos He went to say hello and shake nogans hand and nogan was pissed and wanted a ruck and told him to fcuk off...and a certain fight took place...where nogan got smashed in the face.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The players previously mentioned generally happend in one season and money was spent on them. What about players for nothing which is what his role will no doubt be now. I can start the ball rolling

Geoff Cooper
Richard Tiltman
Grant Horscroft
Russell Bromage

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh come on MASSIVE one....you look at my post too seriously my dear freind.

I was meaning....He hasnt worked on the scouting/management side for 15 years..ie employed by a football club on a full-time basis...

Two......I was meaning have they employed him on the cheap instead of employing a well known name in the scouting business who would have coset more...but you pay for what you get.

Three I cant argue with...but it was a long long long time ago.

Four....doesnt have to be high profile....just a good track record and is working for a lower league club....and wants to make the step up.

Five was a joke and im surprised you failed to see that...
I did spot it - that's why I called it genius.

Point is... there is absolutely no need to have a 'well-known' scout. What would be the point? It's about spotting the talent, not about spotting the famous talent-spotter. Do you know the name of Manchester United's or Chelsea's (or anyone else's for that matter) chief scout? How famous you are is completely irrelevant.

Barry Lloyd's talent for finding talent isn't all that shabby, irrespective of Dougal's droning, and the club seem perfectly happy to employ him - it's not as though he went begging for the job.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Good luck to him....can we sing Barry Lloyds blue and white army?

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
You can certainly tell by the posts here who was around when LLoyd was manager. You should read Gary Nelson's book, Left Foot Forward, and see what type of manager Lloyd was. He was resposnsible to the beginning of the demise of this club, not least when he combined his managerial duties with being Managing Director at the club. Should never have been allowed to happen and 'Barmy LLoyd" as he was known at the time should never, ever, be allowed back. Pick up some of the old Gulls Eye fanzines and see how well he was thought of back then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought it was John Campbell who made that demand rather than the Blooms.

I wouldnt argue but I was told by Alan Mullery himself that it was Ray Bloom who insisted that BL became his no 2. I only mentioned that as it appears that the Blooms are pulling the purse strings at the moment, whether or not that is true I do not know but that is how it appears.

Irrespective of that I believe that it is a good move and hopefully will bring dividends. Whether or not he still has the contacts within the game due to his time out of it is another thing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You can certainly tell by the posts here who was around when LLoyd was manager. You should read Gary Nelson's book, Left Foot Forward, and see what type of manager Lloyd was. He was resposnsible to the beginning of the demise of this club, not least when he combined his managerial duties with being Managing Director at the club. Should never have been allowed to happen and 'Barmy LLoyd" as he was known at the time should never, ever, be allowed back. Pick up some of the old Gulls Eye fanzines and see how well he was thought of back then.

exactly , I remember the fans were patient with Lloyd and there was a real divide about him , but eventually everyone turned and I'm amazed anyone has anything good to say about him. The arguement about the Play off season doesnt tell the story and only those around at the time will understand. The gates were about 2k down purely because he was boss. Im disgusted with the appointment after spending countless weeks outside the west stand trying to get the stubborn w ker out

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
exactly , I remember the fans were patient with Lloyd and there was a real divide about him , but eventually everyone turned and I'm amazed anyone has anything good to say about him. The arguement about the Play off season doesnt tell the story and only those around at the time will understand. The gates were about 2k down purely because he was boss. Im disgusted with the appointment after spending countless weeks outside the west stand trying to get the stubborn w ker out

Dougal, you are a man who truely remembers the reality - most players and fans at the time thought he was useless.

Those defending him were probably too young to remember how much he was disliked.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Good thing he's not MANAGER then isn't it!

If he was, then you would see Withdean attendances halve.

Like I said before, scout is just about commensurate with his level of ability.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
As a manger no, but right now we can't afford to say no to anyone who can find us decent players.

Anything is and improvement on Dean White who i can't understand why he is at the club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here