Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Larry Boyd rejoins the Albion

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He was Manager when we went from big time to little league.

Not sure about all this talent he spotted. Sure he got lucky on one or 2 but how many did he actually 'spot' and how many were just no hopers trawling around clubs for trials and hoping to get lucky? take Kurt nogan, totally useless and wanted by no one. Then, on his last match on loan, the ball hits him on the backside and it's a goal.. Suddenly his luck changed but did lloyd really see that in him?

It was rumoured that lyoyd never saw farrington play and I bet he hadn't seen Iovan either. Iovan & that's probably the same with Gotsmanov and the other Eastern European signings.

He fell out with his best players, like Nelson and Iovan, who he rarely played. he would also not use subs and often opposing managers would use tactical substitutions to win matches. his belief was that he sent out his best 11 and that was it.

I rejoiced when he finally left and kept the Argus billboard poster for many years. It's a poor step that he is back, couldn't we do better?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
He was Manager when we went from big time to little league.

Not sure about all this talent he spotted. Sure he got lucky on one or 2 but how many did he actually 'spot' and how many were just no hopers trawling around clubs for trials and hoping to get lucky? take Kurt nogan, totally useless and wanted by no one. Then, on his last match on loan, the ball hits him on the backside and it's a goal.. Suddenly his luck changed but did lloyd really see that in him?

It was rumoured that lyoyd never saw farrington play and I bet he hadn't seen Iovan either. Iovan & that's probably the same with Gotsmanov and the other Eastern European signings.

He fell out with his best players, like Nelson and Iovan, who he rarely played. he would also not use subs and often opposing managers would use tactical substitutions to win matches. his belief was that he sent out his best 11 and that was it.

I rejoiced when he finally left and kept the Argus billboard poster for many years. It's a poor step that he is back, couldn't we do better?

Exactly, people think Magoo was divisive but he had nothing on Loydd.

Truth is he managed a decline, unlike Mickey Adams who turned it around. Wasn't loydd manager when we had a player called Wade who scored 6 goals in two games but never played again?

Gotsmanov hardly played for us. Its like reliving a f***ing nightmare, Id rather have McGoo as cheif scout.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many Albion fans know that it was Barry Lloyd who brought Dean Wilkins to the Albion??

I'd forgotten that until I saw it in the Argus, there are no doubt a few on here who'll take that as another reason not to bring back Lloyd :lol:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Good point about Dean Wilkins although to be accurate Barry Lloyd bought him BACK to the cliub as he was with us in 1983/84 before he went to Holland - although I think he only played one game at most at that time.

I for one haven't got a problem with Lloyd being chief scout and he seems to be getting quite a lot of flack on here. Sure I wouldn't want him back as manager and I wanted him out at the time - but he's coming back purely to scout for players, I bet most fans couldn't even name their chief scout at other clubs!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Gotsmanov hardly played for us. Its like reliving a f***ing nightmare, Id rather have McGoo as cheif scout.

Yep, Lloyd brought him in, then sat him on the subs bench.
When eventually he made an appearance every fan in the Goldstone could see he outclassed all BHA players on the park.

We used to call Lloyd 'Barry Who', and a BHA player at the time told me Lloyd commanded little respect and was afraid to look them in the eyes when giving team talks.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is somewhat reassuring from Dick Knight

"It's his pure scouting experience I want.

it is nice to welcome him back into the club family but in a very different job to the one he had before."

Thank Christ for that. :ascarf::ascarf:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep, Lloyd brought him in, then sat him on the subs bench.
When eventually he made an appearance every fan in the Goldstone could see he outclassed all BHA players on the park.

We used to call Lloyd 'Barry Who', and a BHA player at the time told me Lloyd commanded little respect and was afraid to look them in the eyes when giving team talks.

I may be losing it but I thought he played virtually every game when he was here, was total class and Southampton signed him from under our noses and then didn't play him.

Hard to criticise an ex manager being appointed as scout when he brought in 4 of the best strikers this team has had in my memory - Small, Byrne, Gotsmanov, Gall and people don't want him back because he was connected to the bar stewards. Unbelievable and I wonder how quick those opinions will change if he unearths just ONE with half the ability.

Apart from Zamora I'm not sure we've had a striker of the quality of those 4 since Lloyd left?? Knight certainly wasn't...

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If Lloyd does unearth a quality player of course I will be happy. Doesn't mean I forgive him for what went on and my main concern will be if Lloyd ever gets near the first team.....that would be a f king disaster. After all DW has moved from Chief scout to assistant. The whole thing is dodgy though , Bloom , Wilkins ....Can't believe Lloyd is back , like turning back the clock to some very dark times.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is somewhat reassuring from Dick Knight

"It's his pure scouting experience I want.

it is nice to welcome him back into the club family but in a very different job to the one he had before."

Thank Christ for that. :ascarf::ascarf:

and in the spirit of glasnost, I think we ought to offer Bellotti a new job at Falmer

septemberpreviewicon.jpg

Come on David - those loos won't clean themselves, you know.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh dear god no! This is a big step backwards.

You mean selling them for peanuts, dean Saunders, Eric Young etc and bringing in players with dodgy knees or non league dross.

He got lucky with the play offs. We made it with the final kick of the season(Wendys freekick) after playing total shit in the last 10 games, got lucky against an inept Millwall in the semis and back to the usual kack against Notts County.
This is typical of some of the posts on here who have missed the point, and choosing to semi-articulate an irrelevancy.

BARRY LLOYD IS NOT COMING BACK AS MANAGER. OK?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wonder who will do the summarising on SCR now with hawsey?

BTW my father, God Rest his Soul, said he would never watch the albion all the time Barry LLoyd was manager and sure enough stopped going after a year of watching barry's tenure. Unfortunately he died before he had a chance to watch once barry Left.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder who will do the summarising on SCR now with hawsey?

BTW my father, God Rest his Soul, said he would never watch the albion all the time Barry LLoyd was manager and sure enough stopped going after a year of watching barry's tenure. Unfortunately he died before he had a chance to watch once barry Left.

Norman Gall?? Unless he's been employed as waffling coach?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Norman Gall?? Unless he's been employed as waffling coach?

Norman doesnt do them all.......He is a lovelly bloke, but can tend to be negative

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is typical of some of the posts on here who have missed the point, and choosing to semi-articulate an irrelevancy.

BARRY LLOYD IS NOT COMING BACK AS MANAGER. OK?

no he's not but when the previous chief scout is now our assistant then it is right we are concerned. As chief scout he is a hell of a lot nearer to being manager than he was watching county league games with nothing to do with us

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
no he's not but when the previous chief scout is now our assistant then it is right we are concerned. As chief scout he is a hell of a lot nearer to being manager than he was watching county league games with nothing to do with us
Well, I'll worry about Barry Lloyd being manager when Barry Lloyd becomes manager.

Until then, I'm not giving it a second thought. Putting two and two together and coming up with whatever you feel like is kind of pointless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The cynics will look upon this as a ready made cheap short term appointment if Dean Wilkins fucks up.

I would prefer that his knowledge and experience is passed on to Dean Wilkins to help and yes I would hope that he becomes no 2 not The mnaager and perhaps then we will play the football that will enable Nicky Forster to do what he was bought for score goals.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The cynics will look upon this as a ready made cheap short term appointment if Dean Wilkins fucks up.

I would prefer that his knowledge and experience is passed on to Dean Wilkins to help and yes I would hope that he becomes no 2 not The mnaager and perhaps then we will play the football that will enable Nicky Forster to do what he was bought for score goals.

yeah but you talk mostly shit so I'm not taking this seriously at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here