Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight talking out of his arse

Rougvie said:
But we were prepared to pay £100k (with 30K of that up front) for a Scottish Div 1 striker who has only scored 5 goals in his pro career ??

The 'spin' just doesnt add up.
But the key point is Tom Brighton would have almost certainly accepted a salary within our wage structure. Noel-Williams didn't want to do that. Well, good luck to him, he has had a disaster of a season at Burnley with some of their fans calling him Cotterill's worst ever signing, and if Millwall think he is good enough to guarantee him a Championship-level salary even though they are likely to a League 1 team, then that's obviously a big gamble they feel they can take. It isn't one a club with our finances can take, not on a player of his (up for debate) quality.

Normandy seagull said:
I'm sure DK told us about it in the webcast? I just feel if we have lost out yet again to someone of gifton stroll williams ability then we have got NO chance of attracting other quality players.

But it beggars belief that it has taken this long for the penny to drop with you? How long have all of us known this!!!!!!!!!!!

How many interviews does McGhee have to give that the market we deal in is other people's mistakes, like Darren Currie? The other bits of the market we deal in is gambling on young players with a handful of games behind them (Zamora, CKR), players nearing the end of their careers (Butters, Blackwell, Morgan, both Ro(d)ger(s), Dodd, Kitson), young foreign players no one has ever heard of (Turienzo, Carole, Frutos, Molango) and occasionally we get lucky with loan players who we can never afford once everyone realises how good they are (Sidwell, McShane).

That's the reality! Deal with it and stop flaying McGhee and Knight - be thankful the club have had four promotions in recent years despite all these handicaps! We CANNOT afford established Championship-level players because they either cost to much in transfer fees or too much (in Noel-Williams' case) in wages. That is what all the fuss about the Falmer stadium is about - only that will deliver us the financial security and the revenues to be able to have higher players budgets. That and the odd Argentine takeover! :lol: (But I'm not banking on the latter).

From what I understand the failure to sign GNW was all down to Burnley's insistence that we pay the full remaning value (2 years) of his existing contract with them.

and I suspect that Peter de Savaray's pockets are deep enough to deal with it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Oh I don't.
But if the club let this (supposed) mis-information pass in the local paper without comment, then we, the fans, are just the preverbial mushrooms arn't we, ie left in the dark and fed shit. If the Argus is fabricating figures then surely someone at the club should be having a word in Mr Naylors shell-like.
If the club spent so much of its time confirming or refuting every rumour, or clarifying every piece of horseshit that some fan 'who has heard something' can enlighten us with, nothing would ever get done. Dick Knight has better things to do than to answer to some fantasist's whimsies.

Last edited:

Gullsworth said:
For once matey you are talking sense:)

Occasionally the Gill Scott-Heron-loving Watford O breaks out of his made-up "Twatty" persona and by complete accident blurts out common sense :smokin:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
London Irish said:
That is what all the fuss about the Falmer stadium is about - only that will deliver us the financial security and the revenues to be able to have higher players budgets.

thanks gazza, did you take a journalism course in stating the bleeding obvious?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Just proves how desperate some are..... i'm not disappointed that we missed out on GNW.

That reason being...how good is he ?

If he wages are high then he isn't worth the risk...he hasn't got a terrific scoring record and been the subject of two free transfers in the last 18 months.

I think he would have been a weight around our neck...especially if we go down.... big wages for a 20 goal a season striker maybe...but not for GNW.

LI has it spot on..... we are a club that has to survive on cast-offs and gambles..some work some don't , we do have to live with these limitations and deal with it.

Storer68 said:
From what I understand the failure to sign GNW was all down to Burnley's insistence that we pay the full remaning value (2 years) of his existing contract with them.

and I suspect that Peter de Savaray's pockets are deep enough to deal with it.

Millwall are a catastrophic example of club mismanagement. Would Wise really have left if he had been given the opportunity to spray around this kind of money? To partner Hayles they have now signed Asaba, the Dutch guy Berry Powell and now apparently GNW. And they are a mighty two points better off than us having scored fewer goals!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For some people it ALWAYS comes back to Archer, even not being able to get a striker in on a month's loan. Which is patently bollocks.

I'd rather not have NGW, I don't rate him.

afters said:
thanks gazza, did you take a journalism course in stating the bleeding obvious?

...you are right, it is the bleeding obvious. But thanks for repeating the bleeding obvious too, well done. Tragic that the bleeding obvious has to be repeated on here so often!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gifton Noel Williams doesnt want to come - shock

Mcghee seemed to blame Knight.

How could Brighton not afford him after getting Leon and a few others off the wage bill, lets face it Burnley are not a rich club. or is it the fact No one wants to play for Mcghee.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Kinky Gerbils said:
Gifton Noel Williams doesnt want to come - shock

Mcghee seemed to blame Knight.

How could Brighton not afford him after getting Leon and a few others off the wage bill, lets face it Burnley are not a rich club. or is it the fact No one wants to play for Mcghee.

Maybe he is on more than Knight thinks he is worth to us

Kinky Gerbils said:
Burnley would not be paying huge wages

.....not for this league, no, but that it still more than what we can afford. Hard for you to grasp maybe, but even the likes of Burnley are a richer club than us.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Burnley would not be paying huge wages

And you would know would you ?

It is exactly this sort of twaddle, that others then peddle as truth, that generates so much misinformation in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here