Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight talking out of his arse

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Albion Rob said:
As ever, it is the likes of Archer, Bellotti, De Vecchi and such who are to blame here.

Would we feel so shit if we were still at the Gioldstone while this dragged on?

Would we feel so shit if the foundations were being poured for Falmer?

Would we be so suspicious of everything that comes out of the club were it not for four years of bullshit from Bellotti?

Yes, performances this season have been appalling at times but the team have generally given tgheir best and over a 46 game season, the weakest sides usually finish in the bottom three.

Obviously it's frustrating to contemplate League One football, obviously it's a worry that we won't get out of this slump and obviously it's a worrk that we so clearly need a striker but seem unable to sign one.

However, we're all on the same team and if we suddenly hit a hot streak and by some miracle stay up then we'll all be hugging each other on the pitch after the Stoke game.

There seems to be a plethora of people in the county who clearly don't know what it means to Sussex to have a professional football team and not become some obscure curiosity like Cornwall. We can't let these bastards win.

STICK TOGETHER.

Agree.:clap2:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
There's no doubt DK cost us one relegation from this division (Hinshelwood debacle) and now its happening again - because we can't afford to take over a players one-year contract. If we can't afford to take this over just what have we been offering potential signings? Where have the "six figure sums" gone that we've been offering on other forwards? Its total BS. I have supported DK through thick and thin in the past but I'm afraid he does not have the nous to run a club in the higher echelons of English football. He is now costing us our second relegation. If he'd said from the beginning, this is our squad, there will be no additions then fair enough, we'd know where we stand. But we've been conned into believing that this board were serious about finding a striker. Now its too late anyway. MM must be seething...

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Easy 10 said:
Certainly, but I was referring to figures quoted in the Argus, not the ones banded about on here. If the Argus has spouted a load of shite about us bidding x amount for Tom Brighton for example, and the club decide not to bother correcting it if indeed it is totally inaccurate, then it just leaves the fans once again completely misinformed about the situation.

As said elsewhere, I get the feeling that the financial situation is considerably more dire than Mr Knight is letting on.

I still dont believe that we bid a 6 figure sum for Tom Brighton. Todays news is very, very frustrating!Imagine if he scores against us next week...:down:

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
sir danny cullip said:
I still dont believe that we bid a 3 figure sum for Tom Brighton. Todays news is very, very frustrating!Imagine if he scores against us next week...:down:

I read in the Daily Record, we did make a six figure bid for Tom Brighton, but he want's to stay in Clyde for the rest of the season, his contract is up at the end of the season anyway so he might come here in the Summer.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Miami Seagull said:
Wasn't Mark McGhee quoated saying that we had bid six figures for this player?

I think he also said that we would pick him up considerably cheaper at the end of the season !

So many chairmen to choose from. Shall we go for that nice Mr Hammam? Or that Hamilton guy. What about Rupert Lowe? Or Richardson from Doncaster? Ron Noades? The guy who bought Chester and decided to manage them himself? The Crawley owners? The Hearts owners? Simon Jordan? Barry Hearn? Doug Ellis? David Sheepshanks?

For all the talk of cliques, there is one blindingly obvious one. The Waldorf and Statler clique. Mother Theresa wouldn't be honest enough and anyone who doubts you gets abused with the tired old rose tinted spectacles line thrown at them. Monday Morning Quarterbacking is the most apt phrase for so many of you. High horses are mounted with the benefit of hindsight and safe in the knowledge that you will never have to back up your ridiculous claims. Names of players are bandied around like it is given fact that they would have signed if it wasn't for blah blah.

Dull in the extreme. But disrepsectful in the extreme as well in my eyes. Nobody ever says that he is perfect - he has admitted to mistakes himself. But considering the situation and the plight of other clubs at present, like it or not, you should be thanking the man that the club still exists. That is not rose tinted spectacles, Knight can do no wrong. That is fact. He may not do things your way. He may have made mistakes. But he is preferable to a very large number of other clubs chairmen.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
The Great Cornholio said:
So many chairmen to choose from. Shall we go for that nice Mr Hammam? Or that Hamilton guy. What about Rupert Lowe? Or Richardson from Doncaster? Ron Noades? The guy who bought Chester and decided to manage them himself? The Crawley owners? The Hearts owners? Simon Jordan? Barry Hearn? Doug Ellis? David Sheepshanks?

For all the talk of cliques, there is one blindingly obvious one. The Waldorf and Statler clique. Mother Theresa wouldn't be honest enough and anyone who doubts you gets abused with the tired old rose tinted spectacles line thrown at them. Monday Morning Quarterbacking is the most apt phrase for so many of you. High horses are mounted with the benefit of hindsight and safe in the knowledge that you will never have to back up your ridiculous claims. Names of players are bandied around like it is given fact that they would have signed if it wasn't for blah blah.

Dull in the extreme. But disrepsectful in the extreme as well in my eyes. Nobody ever says that he is perfect - he has admitted to mistakes himself. But considering the situation and the plight of other clubs at present, like it or not, you should be thanking the man that the club still exists. That is not rose tinted spectacles, Knight can do no wrong. That is fact. He may not do things your way. He may have made mistakes. But he is preferable to a very large number of other clubs chairmen.

Thats all fine, if you're happy for the club to remain in the lower reaches of English football. It's where we're heading back too. I don't mind our Chairman not being perfect, and I fully recognise what's been achieved. But the lack of ambition with the playing squad, especially in light of the transfer fees received over the past couple of years, is depressing. Can't anyone see that the club, even at Withdean, will earn considerably more income and be more likely to attract investment in the Championship than elsewhere?

Miami Seagull said:
Thats all fine, if you're happy for the club to remain in the lower reaches of English football. It's where we're heading back too. I don't mind our Chairman not being perfect, and I fully recognise what's been achieved. But the lack of ambition with the playing squad, especially in light of the transfer fees received over the past couple of years, is depressing. Can't anyone see that the club, even at Withdean, will earn considerably more income and be more likely to attract investment in the Championship than elsewhere?

With all due respect, that is just glib speculation. The club is in debt with no assets other than the playing staff. The "lack of ambition" is your perception. It doesn't matter how many times the anti crowd say Falmer blah blah, Archer blah blah. It doesn't make it go away. As the Chairman himself said - we are not on a level playing field. We get a quarter of the revenue of a lot of clubs in this division. Clubs that don't have legal bills to pay. Clubs that can borrow money against collateral.

No team wants relegation - they all lose money. But the teams that suffer badly are the teams that throw money wildly at trying to stop relegation. You may want your club to go down that path - I do not.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
With all due respect, that is just glib speculation. The club is in debt with no assets other than the playing staff. The "lack of ambition" is your perception. It doesn't matter how many times the anti crowd say Falmer blah blah, Archer blah blah. It doesn't make it go away. As the Chairman himself said - we are not on a level playing field. We get a quarter of the revenue of a lot of clubs in this division. Clubs that don't have legal bills to pay. Clubs that can borrow money against collateral.

No team wants relegation - they all lose money. But the teams that suffer badly are the teams that throw money wildly at trying to stop relegation. You may want your club to go down that path - I do not.

Fine, then admit that's the situation and stop telling fans that six figure sums are being bid on players, my original point. Tell fans that the few extra million quid thats come in over the past for years for players will not be reinvested in the team. Then we know where we stand. We are one/two players short of remaining in this division. Had we made a signing in January we may well have a few more points, we'll never know. All we would would know if that the club had tried and in our present predicament that would have been enough for me at least. Remember too that since the January window we have loaned out 4 players (albeit Jarrett is now back), with their wages being paid for by other clubs.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA

And by the way, I'm not asking the club to throw money wildly. One or two players are all thats necessary, and even their wages could be paid from the reduction in playing staff we now have due to loanees etc...With all due respect, there is nothing"glib" about that or that fact that the club has, without doubt, lacked ambition when it mattered this season.

Miami Seagull said:
Fine, then admit that's the situation and stop telling fans that six figure sums are being bid on players, my original point. Tell fans that the few extra million quid thats come in over the past for years for players will not be reinvested in the team. Then we know where we stand. We are one/two players short of remaining in this division. Had we made a signing in January we may well have a few more points, we'll never know. All we would would know if that the club had tried and in our present predicament that would have been enough for me at least. Remember too that since the January window we have loaned out 4 players (albeit Jarrett is now back), with their wages being paid for by other clubs.

So it boils down to the fact that you think he is lying? That we haven't made these bids for players? Both him and McGhee have said that there is a small amount of money available. £100000 is not a large bid when compared to wages. It seems obvious to me that the situation is that no-one is willing to come to the club for the money, facilities and league position we can offer. It would be in a lower league but they are not willing to buy a player who is substandard. I would guess that McGhee saw GNW as a last fling loan but does not rate him highly enough to buy out his contract. Another Rougier/Benjamin/Iwelumo if you will. A short term, relatively cheap gamble. Burnley won't allow this. End of. They want shot - we don't want to take a big risk on him.

For me, it boils down to the fact that the small amount of money we have available won't attract the calibre of player we need. It's strange that the people who wax lyrical about the Turienzo gamble are advocating a similar gamble.

Miami Seagull said:
And by the way, I'm not asking the club to throw money wildly. One or two players are all thats necessary, and even their wages could be paid from the reduction in playing staff we now have due to loanees etc...With all due respect, there is nothing"glib" about that or that fact that the club has, without doubt, lacked ambition when it mattered this season.

Without doubt, IN YOUR OPINION.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some unrealistic posts on this thread.

One of Dick Knight's primary considerations is SEASON TICKET RENEWALS. He needs to keep fans believing in the club and motivate them to renew, hence his recent appearance on Seagulls World.

He would be committing football suicide if he sent out the renewal forms and followed that up with a statement along the lines of:

"We haven't got ANY money, will NOT be buying any strikers and CANNOT afford to bring in decent loans, we WILL be playing kids 'til the end of the season and are preparing for life in League 1."

Kinky Gerbils said:
Gifton Noel Williams doesnt want to come - shock

Mcghee seemed to blame Knight.

B]

I have to say that I didn't read it like that. I read it as Knight is now not prepared to throw good money after bad and had Burnley's demands been the normal transfer arrangement then we could have done a deal but because they want the full value of his contract with them paid up, the dk was not prepared to accept the associaed terms with deal.

Which is as it should be. And McGhee seemed to accept the reasons.

and anyway he is a cack player

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here