Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight talking out of his arse

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Peter Ridsdale certainly "showed ambition" during his time at Leeds. And that all panned out OK. :dunce:

Miami Seagull said:
And in your opinion, how have the club showed ambition on the playing field in the last 6 months?

Depends on your definition of ambition. How about signing 10 youth team players on pro contracts? Signing a player who has just become an international goalkeeper?

It seems to me that you judge ambition on number of players signed. As I believe what the manager and chairman tell me about their efforts at signing players and you obviously do not, we are not likely to agree under that criteria.

Miami Seagull said:
And in your opinion, how have the club showed ambition on the playing field in the last 6 months?

By signing Dodd, Frutos, Carole, Turienzo, CKR and Henderson. All of these fitting the mould of the type of player we can afford - some worked, some didn't - that's football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
Sorry, Kinky, but that reply really is worthy of Kev the Ape. All you did there was to word that statement to fit your own obsessional agenda. Of all the reasons that there are for players not to come here, you pick on one which is the daftest.

So?

Sorry if i dont take your word on all thing albion since the only time i have been around you you didnt even know where the club signed nicolas from.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Storer68 said:
I have to say that I didn't read it like that. I read it as Knight is now not prepared to throw good money after bad and had Burnley's demands been the normal transfer arrangement then we could have done a deal but because they want the full value of his contract with them paid up, the dk was not prepared to accept the associaed terms with deal.

Which is as it should be. And McGhee seemed to accept the reasons.

and anyway he is a cack player

Scores at this level and would do well in league 1 next year.

Miami Seagull said:
Fine, then admit that's the situation and stop telling fans that six figure sums are being bid on players, my original point.
Do the sums.

An amount of money up to £100,000 (probably payable over a number of seasons like CKR's £100k signing) is much less than taking over the wages of a player like GNW who could be on anything like 5k a week upwards.

We can afford some cash outlay, and the fact that Clyde confirmed they had received a bid from us shows the ambition that you say is lacking.

But we can't afford to break our wages structure! It is this that stops our spending on players spiralling out of control with us ending up in the bankruptcy courts! This is not an idle threat - we are a club that is fighting for its future financially, Lewes know this which is why they are persuing their utterly pointless and unwinnable legal challenge to bankrupt us!

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbils said:
I agree with you - but we cannot afford him. End of.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Not a lot of goals in his career though. 2 in 17 this season, and averages one every five games?

Better than the record of those we have though, but sufficiently better to bet your shirt on?

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Miami Seagull said:
There's no doubt DK cost us one relegation from this division (Hinshelwood debacle) and now its happening again - because we can't afford to take over a players one-year contract. If we can't afford to take this over just what have we been offering potential signings? Where have the "six figure sums" gone that we've been offering on other forwards? Its total BS. I have supported DK through thick and thin in the past but I'm afraid he does not have the nous to run a club in the higher echelons of English football. He is now costing us our second relegation. If he'd said from the beginning, this is our squad, there will be no additions then fair enough, we'd know where we stand. But we've been conned into believing that this board were serious about finding a striker. Now its too late anyway. MM must be seething...
Even if DK is 'costing us relegation' - and I think it's Lewes Council, drawn-out planning processes, etc that are more to blame - then DK is also responsible for getting us up there in the first place. In my book DK is also the reason we still have a club at all. He is guilty only of trying to run the club within the budget that can be afforded by the restrictions of being at Withdean, the drain of trying to get a new ground and the fact that he is not the UK's richest man.

He has not said 'this is our squad, stick with it' because he will try to get someone in. He has also been clear that there is no bottomless pit and he will not gamble the existence of the club on trying to stay in the Championship.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
London Irish said:
By signing Dodd, Frutos, Carole, Turienzo, CKR and Henderson. All of these fitting the mould of the type of player we can afford - some worked, some didn't - that's football.

In the last 6 months only Henderson has been signed. CKR was not funded by the club. Signing youth team players is great, and it bodes well for the longer term. But it will not keep us in the Championship. It seems that that doesn't mean much to some of you, but to the vast majority of BHA fans it really does and it is a lot to swallow knowing that, as I said, we are just one or two players short of competing. And all this in spite of record transfer fees received and the recent reduction of the playing squad as players on first team contracts have been loaned out elsewhere.

I agree with the above, some transfers work, some don't, but no transfers at all (bar Henderson) definately hasn't worked and shows a lack of ambition.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Sorry if i dont take your word on all thing albion since the only time i have been around you you didnt even know where the club signed nicolas from.

:safeway :safeway

Put down the handbags - step away from the handbags now and no one will get hurt!!

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dick Knight is right in deciding not to bring in GNW. He must be on good wages at Burnley hence they want to offload him. We would have had to take over his contract until the end of next season meaning his salary, win bonus, appearance money etc. That would probably have meant him being the highest wage earner at the club with no reduction in wages next season if we were relegated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Some unrealistic posts on this thread.

One of Dick Knight's primary considerations is SEASON TICKET RENEWALS. He needs to keep fans believing in the club and motivate them to renew, hence his recent appearance on Seagulls World.

He would be committing football suicide if he sent out the renewal forms and followed that up with a statement along the lines of:

"We haven't got ANY money, will NOT be buying any strikers and CANNOT afford to bring in decent loans, we WILL be playing kids 'til the end of the season and are preparing for life in League 1."

Most succinct post on this thread. Don't like it or the reasons for it but it has the ring of what is actually happening to me

Kinky Gerbils said:

oohhh yeah - really prolific this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and he has n't scored since last August FFS

17 games (12 subs) 2 goals
All time playing career 228 games 63 goals

Club From To Fee League FA Cup League cup Other
Burnley 14-06-2005 Free 17 (12) 2 0 (0) 0 1 (2) 0 0 (0) 0
Stoke 02-06-2003 14-06-2005 Free 81 (7) 23 1 (0) 0 1 (1) 0 0 (0) 0
Watford 01-08-1996 02-06-2003 Youth 107 (62) 33 10 (2) 5 10 (2) 3 0 (0) 0
Totals £ 0 205 (81) 58 11 (2) 5 12 (5) 3 0 (0) 0
goals / game 0.20 0.38 0.17 n/a
Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals

CACK!

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Easy 10 said:
If we really are in a position whereby we can only pay the equivalent of YTS wages to bring someone in, then DON'T go out and publically state that there IS money available for McGhee to use when, going by this, there quite blatantly isn't.

:clap2:

Miami Seagull said:
In the last 6 months only Henderson has been signed.

That's a silly parlour game you are playing limiting it to "6 months". I've listed the players we signed this season, they all indicated the ambition of the club. We have tried our damndest to get a striker but it hasn't happened because we could find someone who was better than we had AND willing to accept our wages structure.

Too bad, we still have a club to support next season and that's the main thing, not having idiots cut from the same cloth as Scally and the Majeeds running our football club into the ground.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here