Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight talking out of his arse

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can we stop trotting out the tired old excuse about Archer / Bellotti being to blame for EVERYTHING?

In the grand scheme of things they are they reason the club is in the mire, but they are NOT the reason why we can't get a striker in on loan.

Re. strikers we should have got Carl Asaba a long time ago. Or Trevor Benjamin.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Pavilionaire said:
Can we stop trotting out the tired old excuse about Archer / Bellotti being to blame for EVERYTHING?

In the grand scheme of things they are they reason the club is in the mire, but they are NOT the reason why we can't get a striker in on loan.

We did try get Carl Asaba last season, even Tank spoke to him about it, but he had promised himself to another club.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Pavilionaire said:

lucky we did not get him hes been out for ages injured - every cloud has a silver lining:shootself

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lammy said:
I'd like to see all our striker on minimum wage with a bonus of £50k per goal.

Yes a great idea but could honestly expect any striker to agree to such a deal ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Personally I would rather DK just came out and admitted that we have no money, and will have to make do with what we've got plus youth players and non league signings.

Why should it all fall into MM's lap, his job in it's own way is equally as difficult as Knight's. Let MM get on with his impossible job and leave the state of the finances to the boss. Pisses me off the way MM's been left out to dry on this with the absolute minimum of public support from his boss

Last edited:

Albion Rob

Pavilionaire said:

But the chain reaction their actions set off is still being felt keenly now, nearly 10 years after we left the Goldstone.

Yes, it is dredging up the past but their actions are directly linked to our inability to sign a striker.

Goldtone - Average crowds of 11,000 for the past six seasons (maybe not when we went up playoff year), no rent to pay and an actual stadium to show people around. Frustration at the public enquiry but a bit of a larf risking our necks on a crumbling terrace week in week out. Some work may have been needed though to make it safe although maybe the East Terrace could have been reopened over time or with a grant from the Football Stadium Fund.

Withdean - After two pitiful years at gillingham we come back to a ground wthat only holds 6,000 (later increased to 7k then 9k). Some matches could have sold out three times over (Chesterfield four times over, source Ticket Office) and most matches in 2001/02 could have sold out twice over. However, we've had to turn these punters away and also take the hit of hiring office space in the city centre and pay to play at Withdean (slthough not sure whether that is still the case to the same degree). Good players realise that relegation candidates in the Championship is the height of our ambition and leave to better things.

I'm not saying all would have been rosy were it not for Bellotti and Archer and we would still have had a lot of the horrible frustration we've had this past year but I think we could have been shooting for mid-table and the manager could have been backed much better financially had this been the case.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This thread is not about the past its is about now.

As Icy has said we would have so much more respect for Knight if he just came out and said we have little money and we will have to make do with 2nd rate players and bargain basements for now. All these fanciful claims about big name players being talked to are laughable and frankly, an insult to the fans intelligence.

Last edited:

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
In my eyes Knight is right not to break the wage structure in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation.
Knights job is to ensure we have a club to watch, enjoy and bitch about. He has managed to do that as far as i'm concerned -

MM's job is to keep us up, find players we can afford and who will improve the team, as well as manage players and coaching staff.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Race said:
It might be that his contract is not only out of reach in weekly wages, but there could also be clauses and bonus stuff which just cant be justified, and if it goes against everything the club is willing to shell out when it comes to players contracts, then it wont happen, regardless of how many players have been farmed out.
Well if thats the case, I guess the best we're ever going to get in the way of signings is gambles on unknown foreigners (Molango/Turienzo), with the gaps being filled by kids who arn't really ready yet to step up (Gatting). That doesn't fill me with optimism for next season at all.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Black Country Seagull said:
In my eyes Knight is right not to break the wage structure in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation.

Debatable whether it would have been so desperate if we'd acted 6 months ago. I think we have been playing striker football fantasy to keep the natives quiet and were never going to get a big name. Good PR that has now backfired

Albion Rob

dwayne said:
This thread is not about the past its is about now.

As Icy has said we would have so much more respect for Knight if he just came out and said we have little money and we will have to make do with 2nd rate players and bargain basements for now. All these fanciful claims about big name players being talked to are laughable and frankly, an insult to the fans intelligence.

Agree that the mixed messages coming out of the club are very frustrating.

As ever with this club, we seem to be just an ace away from greatnes - and a joker away from disaster.

Let's hope we can nick another gem with something a la Bobby and Leon over the summer.

If we give up hoping we may as well all pack it in.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Icy Gull said:
Debatable whether it would have been so desperate if we'd acted 6 months ago. I think we have been playing striker football fantasy to keep the natives quiet and were never going to get a big name. Good PR that has now backfired

Agreed, but breaking the wage structure 6 months ago will not have meant definate survival. MM would have then made the choice of signing - who's to say MM would not have played them out of position or fell out with them after 2 months -

I still remember MM telling Knight and the supporters that big macca was the player we needed last season before we signed him.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Lammy said:
I think it's all a complete load of bollocks now. Even Warnock has publicly denied what Knight is spouting.

Well,we are all intimate with the day to day problems facing the Albion and have to take the ultimate responsibility for them all.

Or do we simply turn up at some or all of the games and suddenly know better about the financial structure ,forward planning,team acquisitions,costings,general staffing stategy at all levels,tactics,kit selection,sponsorship and choice of tea bags at half time(make mine an Earl Grey,please).

And Warnock is such a credible chap,isn't he?Do you suppose DK picks up the phone to the monkeys or the organ grinders?

Rubbish DK if you will,and make yourselves look silly with your uninformed humbug.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Black Country Seagull said:
- who's to say MM would not have played them out of position or fell out with them after 2 months -

All the players he's allegedly fallen out with were obviously blameless and have all gone on to better things :jester:

Leon - who doubted his talent in league 1 and only the blind can't see the disruption he caused.
Kuipers - stupid in the extreme for his reaction to being dropped having been of injured for a year.
McCammon - How could he stay after his call to Harty?
Jarrett - close on useless at Swindon it seems

Reid - somewhat suprised on that one to be honest

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It always amazes me how much people on here will twist an arguement to suit their own agenda. The original post was about DK being economical with the truth with regards to signing players. No one is slagging off DK for not signing anyone, we blatantly haven't got any money to spend and therefore shouldn't put ourselves in financial peril by spending money we haven't got. If we go down then so be it, life goes on. It would be much better if DK would just come out and say this.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Race said:
It might be that his contract is not only out of reach in weekly wages, but there could also be clauses and bonus stuff which just cant be justified, and if it goes against everything the club is willing to shell out when it comes to players contracts, then it wont happen, regardless of how many players have been farmed out.

But we were prepared to pay £100k (with 30K of that up front) for a Scottish Div 1 striker who has only scored 5 goals in his pro career ??

The 'spin' just doesnt add up.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Rougvie said:
But we were prepared to pay £100k (with 30K of that up front) for a Scottish Div 1 striker who has only scored 5 goals in his pro career ??

The 'spin' just doesnt add up.

But who actually said those figures? I know it was in the Argus but I've not heard anyone fromt he club actually say it or seen it anywhere on the official site?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Race said:
But who actually said those figures? I know it was in the Argus but I've not heard anyone fromt he club actually say it or seen it anywhere on the official site?
But if the club arn't going to refute it, then what are the fans left to believe ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's that 20% information gap I was talking about.

There is certainly money available for "the right player", wages is certainly a big issue, but then are we looking for a striker to keep us up, a striker for 2/3 years or both?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Race said:

I'm sure DK told us about it in the webcast? I just feel if we have lost out yet again to someone of gifton stroll williams ability then we have got NO chance of attracting other quality players. The old 'they don't want to play at Withdean' chestnut doesn't wash with me. It is a shame DK cannot use some of his excellent PR skills used to fool the fans to good work with some quality PLAYERS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here