Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

Uncle Buck said:
I am asking, do you give no credit to Coppell for that season. His start meant that we could have some wobbles along the way and still make the play offs.

No, I give him some credit but the main has to go to McGhee, after all, he got the vast majority of the points and then successfully negotiated the play-offs against what was on paper two better teams.

Coppell's legacy was somewhat diminished because of his short-termist reliance on knackered older players (Blackwell, Rodger) and disappearing loan guys (Henderson). You could see the problems the squad had during that unsuccessful interim period when we couldn't buy a win. That was not a squad on a high brimming with confidence, it was in a slump - it had holes in the first team and needed both player and tactical renewal, which McGhee gave it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
No, I give him some credit but the main has to go to McGhee, after all, he got the vast majority of the points and then successfully negotiated the play-offs against what was on paper two better teams.

Coppell's legacy was somewhat diminished because of his short-termist reliance on knackered older players (Blackwell, Rodger) and disappearing loan guys (Henderson). You could see the problems the squad had during that unsuccessful interim period when we couldn't buy a win. That was not a squad on a high brimming with confidence, it was in a slump - it had holes in the first team and needed both player and tactical renewal, which McGhee gave it.

Will your love affair with McGhee come to an end when he finally gets the bullet?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
TWO better teams :D

How is a team that finished below us, and were never above us for more than a week or so that season, a better team on paper. Bristol City were, I grant you. Swindon weren't. But you'll remember how incredibly fortunate we were to beat them over two legs, surely?

Simster said:
TWO better teams :D

How is a team that finished below us, and were never above us for more than a week or so that season, a better team on paper. Bristol City were, I grant you. Swindon weren't. But you'll remember how incredibly fortunate we were to beat them over two legs, surely?

Swindon had a better second half of the season than us, so were a better form team than us. They had higher quality players like Parkin and Igoe and had a better record against us that season.

Nothing fortunate whatsoever about that very disciplined first-leg victory at the County Ground, you have obviously been inhaling too much of whatever Andy King added to those cigars of his.

British Bulldog said:
Will your love affair with McGhee come to an end when he finally gets the bullet?

Do you think that's going to happen soon then? If so, put your money where your mouth is and we'll have a wager :)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Trigger said:
Naturally... Excuses excuses... :jester:

Thats all we ever bleeding get these days! Trouble is they're starting to wear a bit thin.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
Do you think that's going to happen soon then? If so, put your money where your mouth is and we'll have a wager :)

I've got £25 spare to go to a charity of your choice if he is'nt gone by the 15th of october.

British Bulldog said:
I've got £25 spare to go to a charity of your choice if he is'nt gone by the 15th of october.

That's a fair bet :drink:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
London Irish said:

McGhee deserves a great deal of credit that season ( not as much as when he kept us up the following - which was just astonishing really) but overall I think Coppell is a better manager. Intelligent with good tactical nous, he organised the team brilliantly and seemed to make our players better. Kerry Mayo is the classic example. He was superb that year and I think that's largely down to Coppell installing confidence in him and maybe playing 5 at the back. He fostered a good team spirit and obviously is a very good man manager. Another quality he gave us was a belief that we could come back after trailing. He used his contacts in the transfer marKet/ loan system well. Simon Rodger was outstanding that season and didn't get injured until after Coppell had left. How we have missed him. If it doesn't work out for him long term at Reading I'd love to see Coppell back at the Albion one day.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Nothing fortunate whatsoever about that very disciplined first-leg victory at the County Ground, you have obviously been inhaling too much of whatever Andy King added to those cigars of his.

Apart from the fact that they slaughtered us for 89 minutes, hit the post and bar, forced a wonder-save from Roberts, then saw us go up the other end to score with a deflected goal?

Nope, nothing fortunate at all.

;)

Sneaky George said:
Simon Rodger was outstanding that season and didn't get injured until after Coppell had left
Don't think that bit if right but your high praise for Coppell is right.

Repugnant Toad said:
Apart from the fact that they slaughtered us for 89 minutes, hit the post and bar, forced a wonder-save from Roberts, then saw us go up the other end to score with a deflected goal?

Nope, nothing fortunate at all.

;)

You ARE Andy King and I claim my £5.

British Bulldog said:
Trust your gonna match

That is the general idea of a wager, yes

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
London Irish said:
Don't think that bit if right but your high praise for Coppell is right.
I've just checked and you're right. Rodger was injured at Boro in Sept 2003. A couple of weeks later, Coppell was appointed manager of Reading. :(

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Swindon had a better second half of the season than us, so were a better form team than us. They had higher quality players like Parkin and Igoe and had a better record against us that season.

Igoe was on a par with Jonah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here