Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Adams created a team to win Div 3, i doubt he even dreamed of winning div 2 straight away. Now we've got to create a team to not only get promoted from this league, but have one to stay in the league above. A lot harder task, due to attracting better players and the wages that come with it IMO.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Giraffe said:
Frankly we don't know do we and whilst McGhee has obviously lost the plot,

You certainly don't you spastic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

Dandyman said:
You might also want to think hard about whether or not Dick is such a big supporter of MM as you seem to assume he is.
I don't have to think about that, I've heard it from the great man's lips himself not a month ago. I've absolutely no doubt that their relationship suffered some distancing because of the peculiar events of the summer but you are barking up the wrong tree if you think McGhee won't see out his contract here.
You can either make the best of that situation or the worst of it, it's a free country if you want to join "the worst of it" mob.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th said:
Adams created a team to win Div 3, i doubt he even dreamed of winning div 2 straight away. Now we've got to create a team to not only get promoted from this league, but have one to stay in the league above. A lot harder task, due to attracting better players and the wages that come with it IMO.
I almost rub my eyes in disbelief when I see a rational, common sense post on NSC these days :)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

Dandyman said:
did you go to Brizzle ? They were a very average side.

They were,in fact,dire.

Beat us,though,and our midget forwards could still be playing and we still wouldn't have scored.

Here,I know it SOUNDS daft,but given the propensity to play people out of position,and the mediocre standard in this division,couldn't we try the Virgo trick with a big defender up front as a target?Could that be worse?...at least until we find a striker whose agent will let him come to the Albion?At least we might stop the opposing defence putting up their deckchairs,and the opposing goalkeeper leaning against his post listening to his iPod.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

withdeanwombat said:
Dandyman said:
did you go to Brizzle ? They were a very average side.

They were,in fact,dire.

Beat us,though,and our midget forwards could still be playing and we still wouldn't have scored.

Here,I know it SOUNDS daft,but given the propensity to play people out of position,and the mediocre standard in this division,couldn't we try the Virgo trick with a big defender up front as a target?Could that be worse?...at least until we find a striker whose agent will let him come to the Albion?At least we might stop the opposing defence putting up their deckchairs,and the opposing goalkeeper leaning against his post listening to his iPod.

We've got Santos who can play up front!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:
I almost rub my eyes in disbelief when I see a rational, common sense post on NSC these days :)

Other comments aren't as irrational as you might think.

Let's face it, there are a number of clubs who come up from League 2 (Div 4 as it should be), and challenge for promotion from League 1 the following season. Rotherham did it before us, then we did it, Plymouth and Luton both did it after that, Southend and Swansea last year.

My point is that the gap between League 2 and 1 is actually not that different, most of the time it is to do with team togetherness and spirit. You create a decent side with a good manager, and you can achieve anything. Look what happened with Coppell in charge, we still went down but because we went down fighting, we were able to jump straight back up, and he got some decent players in.

My issue with MM is much more to do with his ability to attract players and coach them effectively i.e. be a manager.

If there is this cloud still hanging over the club and factions are divided, it is not going to change until something gives, and it's usually somebody's job. I'm afraid times like this and when you know it is time for a change, because it's all gone too stale.

Seagull73 said:
Look what happened with Coppell in charge, we still went down but because we went down fighting, we were able to jump straight back up, and he got some decent players in.

My issue with MM is much more to do with his ability to attract players and coach them effectively i.e. be a manager.

Yes, I still fondly remember Steve Coppell lifting that play-off trophy in Cardiff :D

Seriously though, the factor you are missing out is the increasingly impoverished finances of this club the longer we stay at Withdean and the longer the battles for Falmer goes on. Finance is the biggest determinant of our ability to attract players. That will not change with a change of manager.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
So you give Coppell no credit for that season
Really? Where did I say that?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
London Irish said:
Yes, I still fondly remember Steve Coppell lifting that play-off trophy in Cardiff :D

If Coppell were in charge that whole season, i have no doubt that he would not have lifted that trophy that year

we would have won that league at a canter playing more attractive attacking soccerball

So i guess i do have to give mcghee a big thank you, for allowing us to enjoy a great day out at such a wonderful stadium

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Yes the start did help, and like you say allowed us to have some wobbles <cough>Brentford<cough> and then get that great day in Cardiff.

I'm not convinced we would have won the league if he'd stayed, but the start he got us must count for something.

With regards to winning the league we will never know, but what we were doing and is the sign of a good side was playing poorly at times and getting results. Now we play poorly and get beaten...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Uncle Buck said:
With regards to winning the league we will never know, but what we were doing and is the sign of a good side was playing poorly at times and getting results. Now we play poorly and get beaten...
Neither performances nor points!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here