Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jon-Paul McGovern

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Interesting speculation. If he does sign (and Greer) it will be because Swindon and the player want the deal to happen, as he is under contract. I can't see it happening myself, and unless Bennett is off, I can't see the point of signing him either.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Right this is the last time im biting, I enjoy this forum and as a sussex supporter and a resident of shoreham I dont want to get into petty name calling.

Swindon is currently arguably the most financially sound club in the division, the county ground is about to undergo redevelopment which will be finished within 3 years by the same people that did deep dale, we have a manager who has a fantastic relationship with his chairman and they both have long term goals for the club, which is championship football within 3 years of wilsons appointment, so we have 2 more seasons to go to achieve that. As for history, ours is as rich as Brightons, in fact we have very similar history and our attendances are on a par too. we have both made an appearence in the top flight, we have both made a mjor final (1969 we beat arsenal 3-1) we both have similar catchment areas and we both have new people in charge of their clubs that seem to know what they are doing.
Both clubs have sets of fans that have ideas above their station but thats football,
the only thing i would say about you lot is if you do start off well what will happen if a premier league team comes in for poyet? He is a "face" and would placate many an armchair premiership fans idea of a manager, so if a fulham or west ham come knocking would he stay?

I honestly think we are on a level playing field and as you get to falmer we will be playing in a redevloped county ground that will hold 22,000 or thereabouts.

good post. on your point about poyet, completely agree, he's already been linked with a few jobs including pompey. this will only increase if we get off to a stormer next season.

don't understand the animosity towards swindon by the way, they aren't being vulgar with their cash and seem to be taking a very sensible long-term approach, unlike many other clubs who recklessly spend far more than they have. plus their managed by a true albion legend. good luck to them next season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
good post. on your point about poyet, completely agree, he's already been linked with a few jobs including pompey. this will only increase if we get off to a stormer next season.

don't understand the animosity towards swindon by the way, they aren't being vulgar with their cash and seem to be taking a very sensible long-term approach, unlike many other clubs who recklessly spend far more than they have. plus their managed by a true albion legend. good luck to them next season.

:lolol: You don't understand our animosity towards Swindon? Go on their forum, they f***ing HATE us with a passion.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
:lolol: You don't understand our animosity towards Swindon? Go on their forum, they f***ing HATE us with a passion.

Forum ???

Most lads I've met from Swindon arn't bothered by us at all.

As for club sizes , we are both about the same and Moonrakers points are all valid

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In five years time we will be in the premiership, Swindon won't.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Right this is the last time im biting, I enjoy this forum and as a sussex supporter and a resident of shoreham I dont want to get into petty name calling.

Swindon is currently arguably the most financially sound club in the division, the county ground is about to undergo redevelopment which will be finished within 3 years by the same people that did deep dale, we have a manager who has a fantastic relationship with his chairman and they both have long term goals for the club, which is championship football within 3 years of wilsons appointment, so we have 2 more seasons to go to achieve that. As for history, ours is as rich as Brightons, in fact we have very similar history and our attendances are on a par too. we have both made an appearence in the top flight, we have both made a mjor final (1969 we beat arsenal 3-1) we both have similar catchment areas and we both have new people in charge of their clubs that seem to know what they are doing.
Both clubs have sets of fans that have ideas above their station but thats football,
the only thing i would say about you lot is if you do start off well what will happen if a premier league team comes in for poyet? He is a "face" and would placate many an armchair premiership fans idea of a manager, so if a fulham or west ham come knocking would he stay?

I honestly think we are on a level playing field and as you get to falmer we will be playing in a redevloped county ground that will hold 22,000 or thereabouts.

good post mate cant really argue with any of that......dont think a prem club would gamble on Poyet till hes at least had experiance of managing in the championship and hopefully that will be with us!!!!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Because of a play off? Do we hate everyone we have lost to in play offs? No. Its just childish.

Moonraker will never be forgiven by me anyway for his taunting of us when he thought we were going down.

no mate, some may still be bitter about that, but any Swindon fan that bothers to look on here at the Billy big bollocks attitude towards a similar sized club would get the hump. You posts are right up there btw!

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Wizard, On a personal level the amount of abuse i recieved from "brighton" fans after that play off was ridiculous, these were people that never go to games but were just acting the prick because they knew i was a swindon fan, thats why i had animosity towards bha.

The reason many swindon fans dislike BHA is twofold, firstly that play off night and the behaviour of a lot of albion fans following the final whistle, and the behaviour of albion players waving money at our protest as we let their coach past on one of the darkest days in the history of swindon. Put it this way would you have a grudge against York city if their players had been waving £20 notes at you on the last day of the goldstone?

The more people I meet off here and at hove via sussex ccc, it seems to me the idiots tend to be the minority as is the case with most clubs, maybe the vitriol towafrds you lot from sections of the swindon support is because of the vacumn left by oxford, but as they have returned to the professional ranks maybe it will drop as our natural hatred for the scum rises again.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Because of a play off? Do we hate everyone we have lost to in play offs? No. Its just childish.

Moonraker will never be forgiven by me anyway for his taunting of us when he thought we were going down.

Yea I just fackin hate Notts County, can't wait to play them again!! :dunce:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
No one else see the irony of people saying "Swindon fans are so arrogant" followed by raving about how much of a big club and loads of money we have. Think the Swindon fan made alot of good points and made a nice change to have a well balanced arguement posted by a opposition fan then the usual bullocks you get on here.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
No one else see the irony of people saying "Swindon fans are so arrogant" followed by raving about how much of a big club and loads of money we have. Think the Swindon fan made alot of good points and made a nice change to have a well balanced arguement posted by a opposition fan then the usual bullocks you get on here.

Exactly my thoughts. Top hyprocrisy

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm...

(a) don't believe any fans of any club wouldn't have celebrated like the Brighton fans did after the play-off game... Virgs et al... legendary match, IMHO...

(b) have not heard the thing about the players waving money ever before... very odd... proof please? Thought not...

(c) sorry, but we DO have much more potential than Swindon, especially now their top scorer has flown the nest for Leeds / the Championship, but this will depend on signings made by both clubs...

(d) Poyet has only managed for half a season... Prem interest defo won't happen until he succeeds (promotion) at our level at the earliest...

So, I just can't agree with the Swindon fan...

Sorry...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and Bennett was brilliant for us last season... why would we need to strengthen in that position when we currently have no left-wingers at the club? Don't believe we would be interested TBH... now Greer is a definite possibility in terms of interest, but not sure we will be able to lure him away... we'll see... definitely a chance, so again I disagree with Mr Swindon...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Although I live in Somerset, the county boundary goes through our village - hence, you can get Wiltshire honey from the farm down the road (very nice too!). Anyway, for what it's worth, a few years ago (possibly 2006?) we did that thing where volunteers went to just about every match that was being played to get signatures for the Falmer campaign. I was deputed to go to Swindon (they were at home to Brentford, if I recall). I stood outside the ground for an hour or so before kick off and got loads of Swindon fans to sign....at half time I got loads more in the main stand. I was amazed at how many Swindon fans said Brighton were their second club. They were a great bunch, and a credit to their club.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My 1st ever match was v Swindon and that legendary team they had in the late 60's. I've no real affection for them though but that's mainly due to them always beating us at the County Ground.

Incidentally, Mr Moonraker, have you been to that pub in Lewes (Gardeners?) which has pics of the Swindon side from 68?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here