Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jon-Paul McGovern

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
i think moonraker was right about some albion players waving money from the coach, might be wrong but i remember it being on here on the sunday after the match, think it was a couple of years ago when we won 3-0 or 3-1, didn`t see it but it was definitely alleged by a few people

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I got the impression that was mainly internet based nonsense like the Tommy Elphick Hartlepool stuff.
Although we did have Tommy Fraser in the squad at that time so you never know. :lol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My 1st ever match was v Swindon and that legendary team they had in the late 60's. I've no real affection for them though but that's mainly due to them always beating us at the County Ground.

Incidentally, Mr Moonraker, have you been to that pub in Lewes (Gardeners?) which has pics of the Swindon side from 68?

We won 1-0 at their ground in the play-off semi... I was there and remember it well, so they don't always win against us there do they?

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Sorry but saw your players wave money with my own eyes, i was also one of the people that tried to stop a number of fans from subsequently stoning the windows and trying to board it, police acted quickly with what could have been extremely sticky situation.

Have heard a pub in lewes had a swindon landlord wasnt sure which one, cheers for the tip.

the tef is our main board but is moderated quite heavily and is currently going through a mong cull following the arrival of lots of "special" posters around our wembley visit.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No one else see the irony of people saying "Swindon fans are so arrogant" followed by raving about how much of a big club and loads of money we have. Think the Swindon fan made alot of good points and made a nice change to have a well balanced arguement posted by a opposition fan then the usual bullocks you get on here.

This.
No doubt about it its a sideways move, the last two seasons we have struggled to stay in this division (08/09 in particular, and fair enough not so much this year, but for 60% of the season we struggled), whereas from memory they struggled 08/09 but did well this year. Danny Wilson is a great manager, and would hope we could get him in one day (if Gus leaves), but so is Poyet.
Last 2 seasons before this they averaged 7k or so for home games, 8k this season as they were more successfull. Thats not a great deal more than us, and i know which ground i'd rather watch my football in, by a long way. In just over a years time at Falmer we'll be doubling that, and maybe then can consider it a step up from Swindon, not just yet though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Greer has a year left on his Swindon contract and will be thirty next birthday. A two or certainly three year contract would be very attractive. If Swindon miss out next season (Paynter will be very hard to replace) will they be able to try again ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Greer has a year left on his Swindon contract and will be thirty next birthday. A two or certainly three year contract would be very attractive. If Swindon miss out next season (Paynter will be very hard to replace) will they be able to try again ?

swindon probably have more cash available than us.
I have been pleasantly surprised that they seem to use it relatively quietlly (Huddersfield and Southampton being the significant other noveau riche in this league) and to be building for a longer term future. I have no doubt they will replace Paynter (and Greer if he opts to move) and continue to be a threat next season (just not as big a threat as us)

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
we already have vincent pericard to replace paynter but no doubt will get someone else too. plus we have billy bodin a wales u21 forward coming through from our reserves.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wizard, On a personal level the amount of abuse i recieved from "brighton" fans after that play off was ridiculous, these were people that never go to games but were just acting the prick because they knew i was a swindon fan, thats why i had animosity towards bha.

The reason many swindon fans dislike BHA is twofold, firstly that play off night and the behaviour of a lot of albion fans following the final whistle, and the behaviour of albion players waving money at our protest as we let their coach past on one of the darkest days in the history of swindon. Put it this way would you have a grudge against York city if their players had been waving £20 notes at you on the last day of the goldstone?

The more people I meet off here and at hove via sussex ccc, it seems to me the idiots tend to be the minority as is the case with most clubs, maybe the vitriol towafrds you lot from sections of the swindon support is because of the vacumn left by oxford, but as they have returned to the professional ranks maybe it will drop as our natural hatred for the scum rises again.

You're spot on there. A lot of those idiots giving you abuse weren't real Albion - just glory hunters for the play offs I reckon.

One thing I will say is that the majority of fans incl myself were applauding Swindon fans and they were doing the same back. You always get a few idiots giving it the biggen and in their defence they were prob v excitied having just won a trip to Cardiff. We had it with Luton in the JPT last yr mate.

As for the money thing - when was that? It's in-excusable yes.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
If Austin can produce that sort of season when he didn't even start the season at Swindon, he could turn into a fantastic player.

It doesn't always turn out that way but he's got something about him, more so than Simon Cox for sure who went for way more than £1 million.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Swindon fans crap about after the final whistle in the Play-Off semi really really pisses me off.

They make out we all rushed over to them to give it large. Thats bollocks.

The players tunnel was next to the away end so we naturally moved with the players towards the tunnel.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry but saw your players wave money with my own eyes, i was also one of the people that tried to stop a number of fans from subsequently stoning the windows and trying to board it, police acted quickly with what could have been extremely sticky situation.

Have heard a pub in lewes had a swindon landlord wasnt sure which one, cheers for the tip.

the tef is our main board but is moderated quite heavily and is currently going through a mong cull following the arrival of lots of "special" posters around our wembley visit.

Well, forgive me for saying this but I would like to see proof... why did the police not take it further? Are the players still at our club? Disgraceful if true TBH...

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania

i was stood about 5 rows back at withdean and was hit twice by coins thrown from the pitch.

Can you also please tell me who shot JR?

Cheers

:falmer:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This.
No doubt about it its a sideways move, the last two seasons we have struggled to stay in this division (08/09 in particular, and fair enough not so much this year, but for 60% of the season we struggled), whereas from memory they struggled 08/09 but did well this year. Danny Wilson is a great manager, and would hope we could get him in one day (if Gus leaves), but so is Poyet.
Last 2 seasons before this they averaged 7k or so for home games, 8k this season as they were more successfull. Thats not a great deal more than us, and i know which ground i'd rather watch my football in, by a long way. In just over a years time at Falmer we'll be doubling that, and maybe then can consider it a step up from Swindon, not just yet though.

Yes, but if the contract is for more than 1 season, then the mighty Falmer stadium IS a factor... it is now anyway, because the £90M+ outlay signals our intent to all players...

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
its not illegal to wave money just f***ing stupid, unfortunately stupidty is not a arrestable offence, no idea if the players are still here, cant for the life of me name any of the fuckers who did it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here