Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jon-Paul McGovern

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Im not being arrogant! They are both tied to contracts our club is financially sound and they both play regularly and enjoy playing, why take a sideways risk in times like these?

How long have they got remaining on their contracts? If only 1 year your lot might decide to cash in especially if we are offering silly money.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you were a neutral looking in on this debate, of course you'd think it was a sideways move.

Two medium sized clubs as League One goes, one with a larger ground as it stands, but essentially a crap one, one with a quite appalling ground but a shiny new one due in a year's time. Similar sized crowds, probably similar sized wage bills, neither with any particularly glorious history, and both with fairly loaded owners (that don't necessarily throw money at the team in a Southampton style). Swindon exceeded expectations last season, but probably won't do so again this year, the Albion were far below expectation last season, but probably won't do so again this year.

So if you take off your blue or red spectacles, the truth is that it'll probably come down to who offers these players the most money, or whether Greer and McGovern (if any of this is even true) believe Swindon can challenge for promotion to any greater degree than the Albion can.

And yes, Falmer looks lovely, but it's still a YEAR away, and football is a short career.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Right this is the last time im biting, I enjoy this forum and as a sussex supporter and a resident of shoreham I dont want to get into petty name calling.

Swindon is currently arguably the most financially sound club in the division, the county ground is about to undergo redevelopment which will be finished within 3 years by the same people that did deep dale, we have a manager who has a fantastic relationship with his chairman and they both have long term goals for the club, which is championship football within 3 years of wilsons appointment, so we have 2 more seasons to go to achieve that. As for history, ours is as rich as Brightons, in fact we have very similar history and our attendances are on a par too. we have both made an appearence in the top flight, we have both made a mjor final (1969 we beat arsenal 3-1) we both have similar catchment areas and we both have new people in charge of their clubs that seem to know what they are doing.
Both clubs have sets of fans that have ideas above their station but thats football,
the only thing i would say about you lot is if you do start off well what will happen if a premier league team comes in for poyet? He is a "face" and would placate many an armchair premiership fans idea of a manager, so if a fulham or west ham come knocking would he stay?

I honestly think we are on a level playing field and as you get to falmer we will be playing in a redevloped county ground that will hold 22,000 or thereabouts.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
If you were a neutral looking in on this debate, of course you'd think it was a sideways move.

Two medium sized clubs as League One goes, one with a larger ground as it stands, but essentially a crap one, one with a quite appalling ground but a shiny new one due in a year's time. Similar sized crowds, probably similar sized wage bills, neither with any particularly glorious history, and both with fairly loaded owners (that don't necessarily throw money at the team in a Southampton style). Swindon exceeded expectations last season, but probably won't do so again this year, the Albion were far below expectation last season, but probably won't do so again this year.

So if you take off your blue or red spectacles, the truth is that it'll probably come down to who offers these players the most money, or whether Greer and McGovern (if any of this is even true) believe Swindon can challenge for promotion to any greater degree than the Albion can.

And yes, Falmer looks lovely, but it's still a YEAR away, and football is a short career.

Totally agree, of course the other factor could be working under Poyet or having fallen out with Wilson or up for new challenge.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
If he's a right midfielder then we should stick with Bennett and spend the money on priority positions.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Right this is the last time im biting, I enjoy this forum and as a sussex supporter and a resident of shoreham I dont want to get into petty name calling.

Swindon is currently arguably the most financially sound club in the division, the county ground is about to undergo redevelopment which will be finished within 3 years by the same people that did deep dale, we have a manager who has a fantastic relationship with his chairman and they both have long term goals for the club, which is championship football within 3 years of wilsons appointment, so we have 2 more seasons to go to achieve that. As for history, ours is as rich as Brightons, in fact we have very similar history and our attendances are on a par too. we have both made an appearence in the top flight, we have both made a mjor final (1969 we beat arsenal 3-1) we both have similar catchment areas and we both have new people in charge of their clubs that seem to know what they are doing.
Both clubs have sets of fans that have ideas above their station but thats football,
the only thing i would say about you lot is if you do start off well what will happen if a premier league team comes in for poyet? He is a "face" and would placate many an armchair premiership fans idea of a manager, so if a fulham or west ham come knocking would he stay?

I honestly think we are on a level playing field and as you get to falmer we will be playing in a redevloped county ground that will hold 22,000 or thereabouts.

Another reasoned post like Edna's. Poyet has started something serious at The Albion is big on loyalty so I would expect him to stay for a bit despite possible interest from bigger clubs. You miss the point RE: Falmer it is going to be one of the most state of the art stadiums in the country (despite lower capacity than prem grounds). Still not a nailed on your players wont come to us.

Im not being arrogant! They are both tied to contracts our club is financially sound and they both play regularly and enjoy playing, why take a sideways risk in times like these?

All that means f*** all, if they want to go, they will go. Whether they are on a lengthy contract or not, if they want to come and live by the sea side they will and I am sure we can offer them more money than you.

And they may be playing regularly and enjoying it yet they will be hard pushed to find a club outside the Premiership with ambition like us, an exiting manager and coaching team, a fantastic chairman and a magnificent stadium :falmer:

Meanwhile IN Swindon you have the delights of the "magic roundabout" (not the one with the dog and the springy thing) and that building with the clock. Plus I am sure Greer and Mcgovern will enjoy their football even more playing for the mighty SEAGULLS :falmer:

Arrogant enough...

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Ok let's break that down:

"Swindon is currently arguably the most financially sound club in the division" - Erm no you're not we are

"the county ground is about to undergo redevelopment which will be finished within 3 years"
Brighton & Hove Albion, based in, probably & currently, the most affluent part of the country open their state of the art 23,500 all seater stadium in September 2011 the facilities of which will be unrivalled. If you were a professional football would you choose Brighton & Hove or Swindon?

"we have a manager who has a fantastic relationship with his chairman and they both have long term goals for the club"
Snap - But you also have a manager who is a Brighton legend and who has never has never hid his desire to one day manage us. If Poyet left then it's likely Wilson would be high on the list to take over.

"is championship football within 3 years of wilsons appointment, so we have 2 more seasons to go to achieve that"
We want to achieve promotion next year not in 3 years time and whilst you had a good season last year - you were one of the favourites to be relegated.

I agree with your other comments - However, despite your recent history, I would question your view of Swindon Town as a club of the size of Brighton. If you spoke to many neutral fans who they consider to be a "bigger" club and I'm confident - without wanting to be arrogant that most with a decent knowledge of football would say Brighton.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
really dont want to get into a dick waving contest, but supa seagull you should really look at our board of directors, or just google sir martyn arrib and andrew black. right im now ducking out of this thread

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
YOU think it's a sideways move, the players however may not.

comparing a team that finished mid table and struggled at the beginning of the season to one that was consistently in the top half of the table and came to within 90 minutes of promotion via the playoffs to the Championship is hardly a sideways move, its a downward move surely?

Why would a player look at us for a ground a season away! Crofts and Calderon obviously thought that Falmer was not a draw.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Your fans are all arrogant, you only need to take a quick peak at the Swindon forum, several of your members called us things like shit club ect.

Good job no-one on here is doing similar about them.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull

Swindon is currently arguably the most financially sound club in the division,

Evidence please

the county ground is about to undergo redevelopment which will be finished within 3 years by the same people that did deep dale,

I dont think it has been approved yet, then it is only going to be another 3 peg on stands same as the big one on the magic roundabout side (cant remember the name)

we have a manager who has a fantastic relationship with his chairman and they both have long term goals for the club, which is championship football within 3 years of wilsons appointment
, so we have 2 more seasons to go to achieve that.

As for history, ours is as rich as Brightons, in fact we have very similar history and our attendances are on a par too. we have both made an appearence in the top flight, we have both made a mjor final (1969 we beat arsenal 3-1)

40 Years ago

we both have similar catchment areas

Wrong.
Oxford Town
Cheltenham
Yeovil
Bristol City
Bristol Rovers
Reading

All within 30 min to 1 hour

and we both have new people in charge of their clubs that seem to know what they are doing.
the only thing i would say about you lot is if you do start off well what will happen if a premier league team comes in for poyet? He is a "face" and would placate many an armchair premiership fans idea of a manager, so if a fulham or west ham come knocking would he stay

Both those have managers but the same can be said about Wilson

Not Until its approved

“There is one stand that is likely to stay at Swindon - the Don Rogers Stand. But without wanting to slavishly copy what that looks like with the others, we will try to do something a bit different.

“It is early days in the design phase, and nothing will be available for quite a while.

“Instead, right now we will look at viability and feasibility as well as helping to locate what will also be at the ground.

“This stage should last around two to three months. By the beginning of the next season, when hopefully Swindon are in the Championship, we can start to give people a bit of feedback.”

SWINDON TOWN: Project chief reveals County Ground plans From Swindon Advertiser)

May 6th 2010

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
really dont want to get into a dick waving contest, but supa seagull you should really look at our board of directors, or just google sir martyn arrib and andrew black. right im now ducking out of this thread

I don't dispute the wealth of your board of directors. In fact, when he took over our club, Bill Archer was the 6th richest businessman in the United Kingdom. He offered to build a stadium at King George V Avenue and look where that ended up but that wasn't what you said...You said that you were the most financially secure club in the division, which IMHO - you're not.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Ok let's break that down:
Brighton & Hove Albion, based in, probably & currently, the most affluent part of the country open their state of the art 23,500 all seater stadium in September 2011 the facilities of which will be unrivalled. If you were a professional football would you choose Brighton & Hove or Swindon?

Can you honestly imagine a players thought process being along these lines? "Hello they're in the most affulent part of the country (BS by the way, but that's another story), and they've got a nice stadium in a year or so time, I'm deffo going to sign for them"?

Or is it "30 % pay rise and a 5 year contract?, thanks, I'll have a bit of that" In which case you're p****g in the wind, cos I'm not sure you why you think that Brighton could outdo Swindon along those lines.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We really are not as big an attraction as some of you seem to think. Falmer is a year away and we have yet to show any real intent to put together a team that is in with a chance of promotion.

We need to make a couple of excellent signings, which means spending proper money, to signal our intent and make other decent players want to come here. We seem to be better at losing players than gaining them at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here