Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I’m beginning to wonder if Johnson isn’t actually using his dreams as a source to make policy. Would also explain why he forgets them halfway through.

Mrs Earle's theory is that his near death Covid experience also explains why he forgets things halfway through, doesn't think things through, and appears to lack concentration or attention to detail and consequence. These were previous character traits, but seem to her to be much more exaggerated post Covid.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Mrs Earle's theory is that his near death Covid experience also explains why he forgets things halfway through, doesn't think things through, and appears to lack concentration or attention to detail and consequence. These were previous character traits, but seem to her to be much more exaggerated post Covid.

Clearly never lived under him as London Mayor then or monitored his work as Foreign Secretary.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

He has always been like that. Really. It’s an act to avoid answering questions. It’s got more pronounced over Covid/Brexit/Partygate because the questions have got harder and more public.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I heard that Johnson was never in any real danger of dying, he was taken to intensive care as a precaution rather than a necessity, he never needed Oxygen either.

The " forgetting things " aspect is easily explained by an axiom told to me by an old fellow worker.. " Always tell the truth because you can never remember a lie " ... Johnson can't remember what he has said before so veers off subject or spouts gobbledygook.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
GT49er has no positive vision of Brexit to offer, although in this stage of the game we should be talking about results, not the future. See the Brexit thread. He, and many others, going right up to the very top of the Leaver hierarchy, have absolutely nothing to show for their actions and merely winge about 'sneering' or being called 'racist'. It's a shame he often did so in a thread often contributed to by racists and bigots on the Leave side, which he and others amazingly, never seemed to notice!
On the contrary, I have a very positive vision of Brexit. It will take time though - always was going to be a bit of a financial hiccough, but nothing compared to the effect of Covid, or the invasion of Ukraine - but hey, there's some who will never recognise those factors while in their minds they can still pile it all on Brexit. Still, it is sneerers like you that make me glad to have voted for Brexit (and voted against joining in the first place), and even more glad that we won. In fact, it is probably due to sneerers that 52% voted for Brexit - the chattering classes weren't listening.
You reap what you sow.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I need to update a couple of bits:

So, we were all so brilliant at maths in the olden days were we? If so why has nobody ever commented on the classic movie, 20,000 leagues under the sea? That's 60,000 miles. The diameter of the earth is around 8,000 miles. FFS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Seas

Edit - it has been suggested to me that this means moving around 60,000 miles rather than down. However a fathom is a measure of depth, which is why it is called a fathom, not a sodding mile. So if this is moving around it must be moving up and down. OK.....deepest Ocean, Western pacific, 10,000 meters. That's approximately 6 miles. So the film, therefore, is about going down to the bottom of the western pacific and back up again, 500 times! That would be one hell of a boring movie. And travelling at a blood vessel bursting 10 mph, that would mean the film would be 100 hours long. Shoot me now!

Bloody French novelists, eh? Never could understand leagues and miles and probably any other sort of imperial measurements - probably why they insisted the whole of Europe should default to les metres and les kilograms etc.
:lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In fact, it is probably due to sneerers that 52% voted for Brexit - the chattering classes weren't listening.

The downsides (which will be suffered for years) won't affect what you refer to as the "chattering classes" though.

The tragedy is that those who were led to believe it will improve their lives won't see it in their lifetime.

As you say, you reap what you sow.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I heard that Johnson was never in any real danger of dying, he was taken to intensive care as a precaution rather than a necessity, he never needed Oxygen either.
Did you hear this from one of the medical professionals who tended him who chose to ignore his or her duty of confidentiality? Or from one of Boris Johnson's family? Or from a twitter user who heard it from his mother's auntie's brother-in-law's paper boy?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Did you hear this from one of the medical professionals who tended him who chose to ignore his or her duty of confidentiality? Or from one of Boris Johnson's family? Or from a twitter user who heard it from his mother's auntie's brother-in-law's paper boy?

To be fair, Downing St has more leaks than a Welsh farmers market. Probably because from Intern to Prime Minister, it’s populated by morally bankrupt nitwits with about as much concept of loyalty as a hungry house cat.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bloody French novelists, eh? Never could understand leagues and miles and probably any other sort of imperial measurements - probably why they insisted the whole of Europe should default to les metres and les kilograms etc.
:lolol:

Mon vieux,

If you want a real total clusterclunge of a movie title, try the historical drama about a massive volcano, 'Krakatoa, East of Java'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa,_East_of_Java

Point of order: Krakatoa was, and remains, West of Java. :facepalm:.

I gather that the whole project was cooked up by someone, someone, something 'Johnson'. Extraordinary. :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the contrary, I have a very positive vision of Brexit. It will take time though - always was going to be a bit of a financial hiccough, but nothing compared to the effect of Covid, or the invasion of Ukraine - but hey, there's some who will never recognise those factors while in their minds they can still pile it all on Brexit. Still, it is sneerers like you that make me glad to have voted for Brexit (and voted against joining in the first place), and even more glad that we won. In fact, it is probably due to sneerers that 52% voted for Brexit - the chattering classes weren't listening.
You reap what you sow.

They never are.

I have no problem with you being glad about Brexit. You are ten years older than me and will probably die 10 years before me, without ever being able to measure the value of your expectations. I am well off enough for Brexit to not matter to me one way or the other, like you I suspect, so we can measure it in terms of ephemerals such as 'sense of freedom', 'sense of independence', 'perception of generally being better off' (with the latter impossible to measure if we are well off enough already to be immune from wage caps and fuel hikes, as I am, and I suspect you are). It isn't much more than a philosophical and exiistential game to the likes of you and I. We should probably leave the drawing of conclusions about the excellence of Brexit (and indeed, Johnson) to those who have to worry a bit more about how they are going to pay the bills.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Johnson was back at work very quickly and clearly had a very bad scare. Irrespective of what one thinks of him it was correct that the PM in the middle of national crises was treated with the utmost caution and care.

As much for national morale if nothing else.

However, his suggestion the NHS "saved his life" was gilding the lily retrospectively, but not a bad thing to say about the NHS of course.

Non ventilated patients weren't normally placed in ICU - there wasn't the space.

I've spent the last three months in that hospital back and forth (including ICU) and resources, particular staff are scarce. Having experienced it, his story of two nurses spending 48 hours by his bedside seems odd.

In terms of public relations he had to tread carefully though, he had to draw a line between saying - "it was just a scare" and "this was actually very frightening".

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You reap what you sow.

Kind of confirming what I wrote really aren't you? No explanation of your positive vision and resorting to talking about sneering and the chattering classes. This is the Farage play book.
Google offers this definition of sneering: smile or speak in a contemptuous or mocking manner.
Which part of my post was sneering? Despairing is the word I'd use. Brexit is a disaster.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You reap what you sow.

You’ve not really said anything there.
Usual “I’m happy with a Brexit” but no reason why you’re happy or anything to back it up.
It’s going to cause a short term financial hiccup. With no detail as to what sort of hiccup, how long it will last and what financial benefits it will eventually bring or when they will kick in.
“People are sneering”. Nope. People are concerned about the legacy of such a poorly executed Brexit and leave voters insistence that it’s all just “project fear”.
Blaming others, we’re the reason 52% voted to leave. Hmmm.

No personal offence to you but what a load of tired old rubbish.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Johnson was back at work very quickly and clearly had a very bad scare. Irrespective of what one thinks of him it was correct that the PM in the middle of national crises was treated with the utmost caution and care.

As much for national morale if nothing else.

However, his suggestion the NHS "saved his life" was gilding the lily retrospectively, but not a bad thing to say about the NHS of course.

Non ventilated patients weren't normally placed in ICU - there wasn't the space.

I've spent the last three months in that hospital back and forth (including ICU) and resources, particular staff are scarce. Having experienced it, his story of two nurses spending 48 hours by his bedside seems odd.

In terms of public relations he had to tread carefully though, he had to draw a line between saying - "it was just a scare" and "this was actually very frightening".

It is true that contingency plans were made incase of his death. I’d brought fireworks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You reap what you sow.

You didn’t vote against joining in the first place. Edward Heath took us into Europe in January 1973.
Two years later in 1975, the vote was to Remain or Leave. Britain voted 64% to Remain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You didn’t vote against joining in the first place. Edward Heath took us into Europe in January 1973.
Two years later in 1975, the vote was to Remain or Leave. Britain voted 64% to Remain.

Never let a fact get in the way of a firm conviction :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here