Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:lolol: :thumbsup:

As a remainer, I can only sit back at the whole piece and laugh. Although I lost, I await with baited breath for an idea from the winners how they will collect the win. And when the win is won, where can I collect my winnings? As we must all be winners now? Innit. :wink:

Your winnings? I don't know. Did you win anything? Some of 'your lot' were delighted just to have something to sneer at. A bit like the scouse hatred that some southerners espouse. Brexit or no Brexit, bigotry abounds in some dark corners. Long may it be sought out and rejected and consigned to history!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
?? Surely it's the losers that need ideas, not the ones that are quite happy with the outcome as it stands?

Yes, but the politicians currently in power have run out of ideas.

Leaving the EU for many politicians was a means to an end. They envisaged a small state, low regulation, low tax economy. Probably increasing low paid non EU immigration to make it work.

Due to the pandemic (and everything else) the Government's policy over the last few years has been completely the opposite.

Rather than looking forward they have resorted to looking back. The line is now "this country was better before joining the EU", rather than saying "we will be better off outside".

There is a complete policy crises and a lack of vision. Many of those who want the PM gone within the party are brexiteers.

The only person who had a bit of a vision of a post EU UK was Cummings with ideas about huge investment in science and technology. Unfortunately he was a bit unhinged (understatement) and didn't get on with the PM's wife who had huge influence over him in a professional role before they got married.

That's right - the PMs top man was pushed out because his wife didn't like him.

The reality of the last few years is the Conservative party got taken over by a neo Liberal fringe with no plan how to enact their vision beyond leaving the EU.

They chose as a leader someone who never agreed with it anyway, because he was electable.

Where we are isn't the past it's the present. It's the Government who can't move on, not the electorate.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your winnings? I don't know. Did you win anything? Some of 'your lot' were delighted just to have something to sneer at. A bit like the scouse hatred that some southerners espouse. Brexit or no Brexit, bigotry abounds in some dark corners. Long may it be sought out and rejected and consigned to history!

Nobody I know was “delighted” with any aspect of it. It’s a myth anyone sneered at the mess of Brexit. I’ve held my head in my hands a few times and I’ve had to pick my jaw off the floor on a number of occasions but sneer? No. It’s far too serious a mess for the U.K. to be sneered at.

I see Johnson is planning to announce the illegal scrapping of a load of worker’s rights next week. He’ll U-turn on it obvs but another Brexit triumph eh! Moronic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think I'm entitled to some winnings from Brexit. I was promised it! Please don't tell me we get nothing :tantrum:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I need to update a couple of bits:

So, we were all so brilliant at maths in the olden days were we? If so why has nobody ever commented on the classic movie, 20,000 leagues under the sea? That's 60,000 miles. The diameter of the earth is around 8,000 miles. FFS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Seas

Edit - it has been suggested to me that this means moving around 60,000 miles rather than down. However a fathom is a measure of depth, which is why it is called a fathom, not a sodding mile. So if this is moving around it must be moving up and down. OK.....deepest Ocean, Western pacific, 10,000 meters. That's approximately 6 miles. So the film, therefore, is about going down to the bottom of the western pacific and back up again, 500 times! That would be one hell of a boring movie. And travelling at a blood vessel bursting 10 mph, that would mean the film would be 100 hours long. Shoot me now!
Jules Verne was French and could not be expected to understand imperial measures. 😉

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Nobody I know was “delighted” with any aspect of it. It’s a myth anyone sneered at the mess of Brexit. I’ve held my head in my hands a few times and I’ve had to pick my jaw off the floor on a number of occasions but sneer? No. It’s far too serious a mess for the U.K. to be sneered at.

I see Johnson is planning to announce the illegal scrapping of a load of worker’s rights next week. He’ll U-turn on it obvs but another Brexit triumph eh! Moronic.

GT49er has no positive vision of Brexit to offer, although in this stage of the game we should be talking about results, not the future. See the Brexit thread. He, and many others, going right up to the very top of the Leaver hierarchy, have absolutely nothing to show for their actions and merely winge about 'sneering' or being called 'racist'. It's a shame he often did so in a thread often contributed to by racists and bigots on the Leave side, which he and others amazingly, never seemed to notice!

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
I need to update a couple of bits:

So, we were all so brilliant at maths in the olden days were we? If so why has nobody ever commented on the classic movie, 20,000 leagues under the sea? That's 60,000 miles. The diameter of the earth is around 8,000 miles. FFS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Seas

Edit - it has been suggested to me that this means moving around 60,000 miles rather than down. However a fathom is a measure of depth, which is why it is called a fathom, not a sodding mile. So if this is moving around it must be moving up and down. OK.....deepest Ocean, Western pacific, 10,000 meters. That's approximately 6 miles. So the film, therefore, is about going down to the bottom of the western pacific and back up again, 500 times! That would be one hell of a boring movie. And travelling at a blood vessel bursting 10 mph, that would mean the film would be 100 hours long. Shoot me now!

Hmmm...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Next up....

Games of conkers to be on the national curriculum (without eye protection).

‘Woke’ rubbish like IT, science and business management studies to be replaced by Morris Dancing, Ancient Greek and games of British Bulldog.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
‘Woke’ rubbish like IT, science and business management studies to be replaced by Morris Dancing, Ancient Greek and games of British Bulldog.

Yep we can play that again now we no longer have to call it Surrender Monkey Bulldog

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think I'm entitled to some winnings from Brexit. I was promised it! Please don't tell me we get nothing :tantrum:
We'll get nothing as it currently stands.

I mean there is the benefit of one less tier of Government - if like me you hate tier upon tier upon tier of it - but it only ever could work for the country if we stayed in the Single Market and protected the peoples standard of living.

Unfortunately people believed the jaw dropping "rule takers" lie - EFTA states actually have more say on the EEA agreement than individual EU states in practice and reality - and indeed any compromises made for SM membership were no different to those that have to be made in any Trade Deal.

So Brexit could have worked and actually delivered a better country - but the absolute goons in charge chose a type of Brexit that was the most disastrous - "oven ready" they said, unfortunately it contained salmonella and needs to be recalled for the health of the nation - a replacement ( successful ) Brexit is still possible but not before Johnson falls along with his circus of clowns.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
?? Surely it's the losers that need ideas, not the ones that are quite happy with the outcome as it stands?

Congratulations on winning high inflation, higher taxes, longer queues, increased immigration, no government in Northern Ireland, a nice new passport and the right to buy a pound of apples. You must be doing cartwheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Congratulations on winning high inflation, higher taxes, longer queues, increased immigration, no government in Northern Ireland, a nice new passport and the right to buy a pound of apples. You must be doing cartwheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pound of apples is cheaper than a kilo of aples so Im a WINNER thanks to Boris so take that you snowflake

Regards

DF

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think he has become the UK's Trump. He remembers when Trump pulled that stunt of standing in front of the church with a bible to appeal to all the religious nutters in the States so he does the equivalent with imperial units to appeal to all the Little Englanders

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
The wee Crankie must be rubbing her hands together again in joy, another Boris idiot idea - more of us saying let’s get out of here

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So what do I ask for now when I go to the sweet shop opposite and want a good old quarter of Kola Kubes?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
So what do I ask for now when I go to the sweet shop opposite and want a good old quarter of Kola Kubes?

"Please could I have a quarter of Kola Kubes?"

The teenage shop assistant blankly stares at you: "What...?"

"A quarter of, about a hundred grams of Kola Kubes, please"

"Oh, right, a hundred grams - is Pepsi Pubes OK...?"

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m beginning to wonder if Johnson isn’t actually using his dreams as a source to make policy. Would also explain why he forgets them halfway through.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here