Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The downsides (which will be suffered for years) won't affect what you refer to as the "chattering classes" though.

The tragedy is that those who were led to believe it will improve their lives won't see it in their lifetime.

As you say, you reap what you sow.

We are getting to the stage where having slightly more powerful vacuum cleaners is supposedly some kind of brexit benefit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Printed then deleted by the Sun, because it was bollocks. In-between re-tweeted by Rees Mogg and stayed online on his account for months.

DXDs1k5W4AAsRWa-1024x929.jpg

Have we returned to Brexit ?... of course, since the Government have and we a right of reply. They really need to move on.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You didn’t vote against joining in the first place. Edward Heath took us into Europe in January 1973.
Two years later in 1975, the vote was to Remain or Leave. Britain voted 64% to Remain.

Of all the petty-fogging nit-picking I've ever seen, this reply takes the biscuit - no, more than that, it takes a f****n' giant Hob Nob with chocolate and sprinkles! The vote then was a straight 'in'or 'out' choice (technically a 'yes' to approve the decision to join and 'no' to oppose it) and everybody except the thickest of thick s**ts understood that. There was a very dirty campaign by the establishment for a yes vote - sadly, it worked.

I voted no - I didn't want to join, I didn't support the government's actions in joining, I didn't want to be in/stay in it, I didn't think it was a good idea - and as far as I'm concerned, I was dead right. Now, nit-pick what you like out of that. Geez....... :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Printed then deleted by the Sun, because it was bollocks. In-between re-tweeted by Rees Mogg and stayed online on his account for months.

DXDs1k5W4AAsRWa-1024x929.jpg

Have we returned to Brexit ?... of course, since the Government have and we a right of reply. They really need to move on.

"Mozarella-type cheese" :lolol:

Delivered in a bucket to a gammon near you.

:facepalm:

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes. What did being in the EU ever do for us? Football hooliganism, cod, the banning of cod, prosecution of football hooliganism? Need I go on? :shrug:

Anyway I'm too well-off to care.

Let them eat British Baked cake.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of all the petty-fogging nit-picking I've ever seen, this reply takes the biscuit - no, more than that, it takes a f****n' giant Hob Nob with chocolate and sprinkles! The vote then was a straight 'in'or 'out' choice (technically a 'yes' to approve the decision to join and 'no' to oppose it) and everybody except the thickest of thick s**ts understood that. There was a very dirty campaign by the establishment for a yes vote - sadly, it worked.

I voted no - I didn't want to join, I didn't support the government's actions in joining, I didn't want to be in/stay in it, I didn't think it was a good idea - and as far as I'm concerned, I was dead right. Now, nit-pick what you like out of that. Geez....... :facepalm:

Vote...in the first place....what part of chronologically historical facts do you feel the need to belittle?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Be nice for you lot to have a pint and put a gallon of petrol in your car again. How long has it been?

I wonder if they will make some rulers with centimetres on one side and inches on the other to commemorate the change over? I bet they will, they love ya those ruling classes.

Boris and the royals have made a few mistakes but God love em they see you right with the important stuff.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Mozarella-type cheese" :lolol:

Delivered in a bucket to a gammon near you.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes. What did being in the EU ever do for us? Football hooliganism, cod, the banning of cod, prosecution of football hooliganism? Need I go on? :shrug:

Anyway I'm too well-off to care.

Let them eat British Baked cake.

What was particular interesting about the piece is that was discouraging you to buy British (and of course the fags).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Be nice for you lot to have a pint and put a gallon of petrol in your car again. How long has it been?

I wonder if they will make some rulers with centimetres on one side and inches on the other to commemorate the change over? I bet they will, they love ya those ruling classes.

Boris and the royals have made a few mistakes but God love em they see you right with the important stuff.

Genius :lolol:

I recon about 6 hours. And thanks to Brexit that's 2 hours less than it would of been. I love Boris - he's transformed my life!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

At risk of stating the obvious, pints of beer (and milk) where an exception to the metrication law, and rulers still do have inches on one side and centimetres on the other. They won't change gallons back to litres at petrol station, even though it does make miles per gallon a bit tricky to work out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
80 of course. A chain is 22 yards (length of a cricket pitch), 10 x 22 yards make a furlong, 8 furlongs make a mile.

How many cubits in a span?

Edit: no cheating, now.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Trick question. A cubit's bigger than a span.

From memory, a cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips, and a span is the distance between thump and little finger on an outstretched hand. So at a guess, a cubit 16 inches and a span 8 inches.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
At risk of stating the obvious, pints of beer (and milk) where an exception to the metrication law, and rulers still do have inches on one side and centimetres on the other. They won't change gallons back to litres at petrol station, even though it does make miles per gallon a bit tricky to work out.

It doesn't if you grew up working in a family owned petrol station.

4.54609 litres to a gallon as my dad taught me and I've never forgotten. I routinely had to work it out when the petrol was delivered because the tanks had imperial measures.

A very very long brass "ruler" was pulled out the tank. You literally looked for the line of petrol and it told you how may gallons were in there. I then went inside and worked out the litres on a "pocket" calculator that was bigger than my face. Sometimes distracted by typing 5318008 and turning it upside down.

It was called dipping the tanks.

I vaguely remember thinking that the practice was a form of EU enforced servitude, the very process of calculating between litres and gallons a metaphor for the bureaucratic imprisonment of the English race and I longed for these isles to return to a long gone golden age of freedom.

Then I started to like the smell of petrol and looked forward to it.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And if you really want me to show off, shoe sizes are measured in barleycorns. Every shoe size up is 1/3 of an inch bigger than the previous. And the reason an American size 9 is smaller than a British size nine is (just like with the buildings) they start counting at one, we start counting at zero.

They never did make us sell shoes in metric.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Trick question. A cubit's bigger than a span.

From memory, a cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips, and a span is the distance between thump and little finger on an outstretched hand. So at a guess, a cubit 16 inches and a span 8 inches.

You are Christopher Chase and I claim my Blue Peter Badge :bowdown: :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And if you really want me to show off, shoe sizes are measured in barleycorns. Every shoe size up is 1/3 of an inch bigger than the previous. And the reason an American size 9 is smaller than a British size nine is (just like with the buildings) they start counting at one, we start counting at zero.

They never did make us sell shoes in metric.

Not sure they made us do *anything, did they? Metrification of money came before the common market (and TFFT).

*Apart from square apples, straight bananas, and anal intercourse obviously.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure they made us do *anything, did they? Metrification of money came before the common market (and TFFT).

*Apart from square apples, straight bananas, and anal intercourse obviously.

I've kept up with the anti-EU myths for years Harry, including Johnson's time as European Correspondent for the Telegraph, but I'm really struggling to remember the last.

Is that metric ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here