Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
On the contrary, I have a very positive vision of Brexit. It will take time though - always was going to be a bit of a financial hiccough, but nothing compared to the effect of Covid, or the invasion of Ukraine - but hey, there's some who will never recognise those factors while in their minds they can still pile it all on Brexit. Still, it is sneerers like you that make me glad to have voted for Brexit (and voted against joining in the first place), and even more glad that we won. In fact, it is probably due to sneerers that 52% voted for Brexit - the chattering classes weren't listening.
You reap what you sow.

you're not sneering, are you?

have you got an idea about who will benefit from brexit and how?

or still completely baffled?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Of all the petty-fogging nit-picking I've ever seen, this reply takes the biscuit - no, more than that, it takes a f****n' giant Hob Nob with chocolate and sprinkles! The vote then was a straight 'in'or 'out' choice (technically a 'yes' to approve the decision to join and 'no' to oppose it) and everybody except the thickest of thick s**ts understood that. There was a very dirty campaign by the establishment for a yes vote - sadly, it worked.

I voted no - I didn't want to join, I didn't support the government's actions in joining, I didn't want to be in/stay in it, I didn't think it was a good idea - and as far as I'm concerned, I was dead right. Now, nit-pick what you like out of that. Geez....... :facepalm:

from what you've posted i don't think you really understand what you voted for.

ever feel like you'ved been had?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
from what you've posted i don't think you really understand what you voted for.

ever feel like you'ved been had?

He won't. If you've read all his posts you'll see that he was anti EU/Common Market right from the very start. Like most leavers, he won't be able to be specific about any tangible benefits for what's happened other that somewhere over the rainbow in the distant future that he and probably most of us won't reach.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
He won't. If you've read all his posts you'll see that he was anti EU/Common Market right from the very start. Like most leavers, he won't be able to be specific about any tangible benefits for what's happened other that somewhere over the rainbow in the distant future that he and probably most of us won't reach.

that "somewhere over the rainbow in the distant future", is still better than nothing,

but, how many years has it been? so far, nowt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the contrary, I have a very positive vision of Brexit. It will take time though - always was going to be a bit of a financial hiccough, but nothing compared to the effect of Covid, or the invasion of Ukraine - but hey, there's some who will never recognise those factors while in their minds they can still pile it all on Brexit. Still, it is sneerers like you that make me glad to have voted for Brexit (and voted against joining in the first place), and even more glad that we won. In fact, it is probably due to sneerers that 52% voted for Brexit - the chattering classes weren't listening.
You reap what you sow.

Using Covid and the war in Ukraine as a baseline for your argument really does say everything you need to know about the benefits of Brexit.

Brexit does not really affect you though does it? You dont work, you live off a state pension, you dont run a business, you dont travel.....you dont seem do anything except exist in the place where you live. In fact Brexit is all you have, it's all that defines you, it's the only thing which gives you a voice.

From confessions you have made in other threads (never having been on a plane, cannot afford a taxi to the next village) your view of England, let alone the world, is quite possibly the most limited there is....so you will be the last person I listen to on this......that's is of course, if you had something meaningful to actually say.

You are one sad person.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Using Covid and the war in Ukraine as a baseline for your argument really does say everything you need to know about the benefits of Brexit.

Brexit does not really affect you though does it? You dont work, you live off a state pension, you dont run a business, you dont travel.....you dont seem do anything except exist in the place where you live. In fact Brexit is all you have, it's all that defines you, it's the only thing which gives you a voice.

From confessions you have made in other threads (never having been on a plane, cannot afford a taxi to the next village) your view of England, let alone the world, is quite possibly the most limited there is....so you will be the last person I listen to on this......that's is of course, if you had something meaningful to actually say.

You are one sad person.

Excellent post. Agree 100%.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

You are one sad person.

That is unnecessarily cruel and unkind.

Whatever one's views are on politics I don't think such a personal attack was merited.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whatever one's views are on politics I don't think such a personal attack was merited.

I think a lot of his posts are unnecessary , snide and unkind. For example, how do you think the poster who lost his export business to Brexit feels reading his gloating posts? If one wants to post gloating and snide posts, one has to expect there might be a reaction to them.

I’ve made my point; I’ll leave it here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I think it helps define a sub-section of society who voted Leave. People who don't travel, work or have much money could well have voted that way to stick two fingers up to those who do, defining it, as much as anything, as a vote of jealousy. It is, however, important to remember that people did vote Leave for other reasons too. Same with an out and out racist like Das, It's certainly true that not all Leavers are racists but you won't have found any of Das's type voting Remain.

This does, on the whole, however, feel like old ground and I see this thread trundling into the pit unless we can keep it civil.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I think the response was completely honest and factual if a little harshly worded but in response to

as a wise person once said and has been repeated many times since, if you are incapable of making a factual post without insulting people

You reap what you sow.

*edit* and noting recent posts :bigwave:

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Getting the thread back on track, it appears the Government’s big imperial idea isn’t going down so well with some Tory peers, like Lord Rose, Chairman of Asda.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61683111

“It’s complete and utter nonsense and it will add cost to those people who have to put it into place," Lord Rose said.

He added: We have got serious problems in the world and we're now saying let's go backwards. Does anybody in this country below the age of about 40 know how many ounces there are in a pound?"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
11B53429-CF90-4F01-9BC1-344B8E3FCBE6.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You reap what you sow.

But do you reap it kg or lbs ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wheeze update - apparently vendors will now be able to sell things according to Imperial units without having to display the EU units (in store or on packaging). It is this freedom that we have won, and which should be rightly celebrated.

Now, vendors will be forced to print EU pagaging displaying EU units for exports, as well as the new Freedom packaging that uses Imperial only for domestic sales, and non EU sales (New Zealand, Vanuatu and the Falklands).

Or we could save money by not exporting anything to the EU anymore. Yes, that would work.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have a bag of shillings and half pennies and all sorts of pre 1960’s coinage. Can’t wait to get spending!
Best of both worlds now, isn’t it!

Brexit is like an episode of Goodnight Sweetheart.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Getting the thread back on track, it appears the Government’s big imperial idea isn’t going down so well with some Tory peers, like Lord Rose, Chairman of Asda.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61683111

“It’s complete and utter nonsense and it will add cost to those people who have to put it into place," Lord Rose said.

He added: We have got serious problems in the world and we're now saying let's go backwards. Does anybody in this country below the age of about 40 know how many ounces there are in a pound?"

Do kids today still buy their weed in imperial measures? 3.5g sounds much more mechanical than an eighth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here