Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
...and they're at it with milk too...

7306067-tesco-milk-jonathan-page-free.jpg

Correct. As Clapham-gull pointed out, milk is one of the exemptions.

But this isn't an exclusive imperial product given the metric size is shown on the side of the container.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Absolutely spot on. Confuse, Distract, Divide. All cleverly takes your eye off what rat shit this country is going to...

And a game of diminishing returns. The only chance he has is to go for an early election.

I suspect enough letters have gone in but he will scrape through a leadership challenge greatly damaged.

On another subject, those pushing for Starmergate to re-opened have got themselves in a right pickle now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And a game of diminishing returns. The only chance he has is to go for an early election.

I suspect enough letters have gone in but he will scrape through a leadership challenge greatly damaged.

On another subject, those pushing for Starmergate to re-opened have got themselves in a right pickle now.
Talking of re-opening Covid investigations, surely the new evidence that has been made public after the police and Gray findings is sufficient grounds for them re-opening the investigation into DownIt Street parties ?

Jul 20, 2003
Did Sean Dyche get the sack for mentioning that a player lacked half a yard of pace?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I need to update a couple of bits:

It's all pretty simple really.
View attachment 148413

So, we were all so brilliant at maths in the olden days were we? If so why has nobody ever commented on the classic movie, 20,000 leagues under the sea? That's 60,000 miles. The diameter of the earth is around 8,000 miles. FFS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Seas

Edit - it has been suggested to me that this means moving around 60,000 miles rather than down. However a fathom is a measure of depth, which is why it is called a fathom, not a sodding mile. So if this is moving around it must be moving up and down. OK.....deepest Ocean, Western pacific, 10,000 meters. That's approximately 6 miles. So the film, therefore, is about going down to the bottom of the western pacific and back up again, 500 times! That would be one hell of a boring movie. And travelling at a blood vessel bursting 10 mph, that would mean the film would be 100 hours long. Shoot me now!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If the fat messy bungle**** really wants to honour the Queen he should (a) stop lying to her (b) at least act like a grown up if he can't stretch to acting like a statesman and (c) treat the country and her subjects with a bit of respect.

He's trolling us. He knows full well that only those suffering from a traumatic brain injury will endorse this so he's laughing at us throwing our hands up at this utterly pointless and regressive step. He's treating the country with contempt. He's no patriot.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit)

The name "stone" derives from the use of stones for weights, a practice that dates back into antiquity. The Biblical law against the carrying of "diverse weights, a large and a small"[7] is more literally translated as "you shall not carry a stone and a stone (אבן ואבן), a large and a small". There was no standardised "stone" in the ancient Jewish world,[8] but in Roman times stone weights were crafted to multiples of the Roman pound.[9] Such weights varied in quality: the Yale Medical Library holds 10 and 50-pound examples of polished serpentine,[10] while a 40-pound example at the Eschborn Museum is made of sandstone.[11]

The English stone under law varied by commodity and in practice varied according to local standards. The Assize of Weights and Measures, a statute of uncertain date from c. 1300, describes stones of 5 merchants' pounds used for glass; stones of 8 lb. used for beeswax, sugar, pepper, alum, cumin, almonds,[16] cinnamon, and nutmegs;[17] stones of 12 lb. used for lead; and the London stone of 12+1⁄2 lb. used for wool.[16][17] In 1350 Edward III issued a new statute defining the stone weight, to be used for wool and "other Merchandizes", at 14 pounds,[nb 2] reaffirmed by Henry VII in 1495.[19]
In England, merchants traditionally sold potatoes in half-stone increments of 7 pounds. Live animals were weighed in stones of 14 lb; but, once slaughtered, their carcasses were weighed in stones of 8 lb. Thus, if the animal's carcass accounted for 8⁄14 of the animal's weight, the butcher could return the dressed carcasses to the animal's owner stone for stone, keeping the offal, blood and hide as his due for slaughtering and dressing the animal.[21] Smithfield market continued to use the 8 lb stone for meat until shortly before the Second World War.[22] The Oxford English Dictionary also lists:[23]

Edit to add this:

The 1772 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica defined the stone:[12]

STONE also denotes a certain quantity or weight of some commodities. A stone of beef, in London, is the quantity of eight pounds; in Hertfordshire, twelve pounds; in Scotland sixteen pounds.​

The Weights and Measures Act of 1824, which applied to all of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, consolidated the weights and measures legislation of several centuries into a single document. It revoked the provision that bales of wool should be made up of 20 stones, each of 14 pounds, but made no provision for the continued use of the stone. Ten years later, a stone still varied from 5 pounds (glass) to 8 pounds (meat and fish) to 14 pounds (wool and "horseman's weight").[13] The Act of 1835 permitted using a stone of 14 pounds for trade[14] but other values remained in use. James Britten, in 1880 for example, catalogued a number of different values of the stone in various British towns and cities, ranging from 4 lb to 26 lb.[15] The value of the stone and associated units of measure that were legalised for purposes of trade were clarified by the Weights and Measures Act 1835 as follows:[14]

I have found this which makes some sense with regards to the use of certain numbers:

"Before Arabic (decimal) numbers arrived in Europe from India via Arab traders, everyone used Roman numerals because that's what the Romans had used and they represented the pinnacle of civilization (so far as anyone could remember). Trouble is, without decimals, fractions are a pain. So you try to establish standard amounts for things that are easily divisible and sub-divisible without fractions.

One of these numbers was 112. The British have another unit of weight called the hundredweight, which is actually 112 pounds. A stone is one-eighth of a hundredweight.

It's another one of those things that seems very odd in retrospect, but very reasonable and practical if you're used to it and know where it came from. The old British pound used to be made up of 240 silver pennies (pence) for the same reason. You could have coins of value 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 24, 30, and 60 pence and a whole number of any of them would make a pound."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Have the Tories realised yet that petrol will be more than £8 a gallon?

The world's gone mad and I've turned into my Dad.

I'm sure that on this basis, fuel will now be sold in pints, so that the pumps show £1 a pint, and everyone thinks how cheap this is compared to the pint in a pub. No wonder Johnson wants a change.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, it would just be pounds and shillings, with no need for pence. So all in all a complete waste of time, money and brain cells. They do like a good waste of money this government.

So, let's get this straight. They're not talking about changing the currency, so a lot of the hot air being generated by outraged people is . err .. just that. Hot air.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1531233103431225346[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
?? Surely it's the losers that need ideas, not the ones that are quite happy with the outcome as it stands?

:lolol: :thumbsup:

As a remainer, I can only sit back at the whole piece and laugh. Although I lost, I await with baited breath for an idea from the winners how they will collect the win. And when the win is won, where can I collect my winnings? As we must all be winners now? Innit. :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here