Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Stephenson leaves the Albion

Mistasita

May 7, 2011
does seem like a lot of upheaval with youth / development side of the club...but do not jump to conclusions...the politics and hidden stories within football clubs rivals those scounderals in parlaimant... it'll all come out in the wash.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A positive view could be that if and I do say if Gus is behind it all bringing in the men he wants then that is a good indication that he will be here for a long time and we will have no worries about losing him.

Maybe just maybe he really could not settle in the area, Brighton and Hove is not to everyones liking, some of you lot who think living in B&H is the place to be are so far up your own arses you need pot holers to get you out.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If the man showed some promise in his short tenure ,then i am sure he would still be at the club. I think that gives us the answer !!!!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Better that he's gone if he's not happy, however the scouting section has lost its two top men recently (Stephenson and Aranalde), positions which need filling urgently.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Could be any number of reasons why he's gone. Some sound speculation on here but, as has been said, it's probably likely that we'll never know for sure.

What I find interesting though is several posters referring to the 6 part system as 'faffing about' ??? I wonder if such a thorough scouting system does suffer from having a higher than average percentage rate of missed targets or not? It will be interesting to see where things develop from here.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Could be any number of reasons why he's gone. Some sound speculation on here but, as has been said, it's probably likely that we'll never know for sure.

What I find interesting though is several posters referring to the 6 part system as 'faffing about' ??? I wonder if such a thorough scouting system does suffer from having a higher than average percentage rate of missed targets or not? It will be interesting to see where things develop from here.

What is the "6 part system"?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
6 months is the usual duration of a probationary period, so perhaps it was the perfect time for the club to part company with him if he was not up to scratch.

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
Maybe just maybe he really could not settle in the area, Brighton and Hove is not to everyones liking, some of you lot who think living in B&H is the place to be are so far up your own arses you need pot holers to get you out.

like this lol quality....

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
who cares...he's gone move on find a "better" man for the job, i'm sure with the club only going forwards and upwards we'll have someone top notch who gus feels is right,

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What is the "6 part system"?

You can read about it in this excellent article from laughing bluebird who posts on here. Click the link in the post below :-

To say they failed to live up to it is something of an understatement. One or two of the Premier League loan signings were an embarrassment.

Anyway, I thought the following piece may be of interest to one or two of you as it contains a bit of background regarding how John Stephenson worked at Watford. I think Brighton have done very well to land him.

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: Mixed Feelings about a Fascinating Appointment

The very best of luck for tomorrow, and those who've met me will know that I really do mean that. I hope the day is a huge success. You've waited long enough for it.

You never know, Attila might even get the beers in as promised.....

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Stephenson had a 6 part system to signing players. He believed it was useful in identifying quality prospects and getting them signed.

Sounds like the sort of crap you would pay a consultant £200,000 to tell you. Most of it is stating the f***ing obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here