Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Stephenson leaves the Albion

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How are you going to watch someone 6 times ? No wonder we are missing out on our targets ?

But how many complaints have we had on here of failed signings allegedly being made on the strength of watching a player on one rainy Tuesday night in the arse end of nowhere ? ( well, words to that efffect anyway :) )

How many games/times would you suggest a player should be watched for ?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
We are not signing that kind of player now , we are signing players of the calibre of CMS whose abilities are well known. Tell me how we can watch someone 6 times before the transfer window shuts ?

Presumably the players they wanted were identified last season before the transfer window even opened, so there would be plenty of opportunity to get 6 games in. Failing that there a lot more than 6 games for clubs from the start of their pre-season friendlies to the shutting of the transfer window.

I think it would be a failing of the club's whole transfer system if they hadn't picked out and watched the players that they wanted by this point.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We are not signing that kind of player now , we are signing players of the calibre of CMS whose abilities are well known. Tell me how we can watch someone 6 times before the transfer window shuts ?

All depends how long the player has been on the radar for I suppose ? I'd like to think that no player would be signed as a rush job just to beat the transfer market. With established players like CMS there's obviously loads of video footage that can be watched and like you say, their abilities will be well known, but there's no substitute for watching a player live I'd say. Whether you need six live viewings with such a player is of course a matter for debate, which is why I asked the question.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Reading that article, it wouldn't exactly be a surprise to see him pitch up at Cardiff would it? Maybe he's had an offer Albion couldn't or wouldn't match.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This came from Gus (directly or indirectly), as did the Steve Brown departure.

Source ? Or just logical thinking ?

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
maybe Gus is fed up on losing out on his targets due to all the 6 part faffing about.

This.
Gus wanted signings before preseason - didn't happen

He then went on record saying he hoped to have them for Portugal and 1 would be high profile (not CMS)- didn't happen.
Then he said by start of season - nope again

Now Gus said last week 3 players by close of window.
Think maybe Gus was getting fed up being made to look a plonker by Stephenson and wants to make sure this time.

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Wasn't Stephenson in charge of contracts as part of his role?
And wasn't it widely reported that CMS only signed for us because of his talk with Gus?

Maybe it's just a restructure of job roles again.
Scout finds player, Gus agrees, Board set price limit, Gus talks them into it.

Do we really need a director of football (or whatever the f he was called)?
To me that job role has always/will always just be an excuse for another big salary on the payroll because that's what all 'the big companies' have.

Disclaimer: possibly a few beers have been consumed this evening, so tomorrow morning this may not even make any sense to me!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oh come on .... Stephenson was not Gus's appointment.

I haven't a clue whether Stephenson was brilliant or useless ...... but I was not aware of his pedigree before he was suddenly tagged up with us.

How difficult might it be to set up a predetermined Academy and identify top notch players with a generous chairman ??

Gus seems to have taken charge and wants his own people ...... I assume appointments will follow shortly.

Its a unique situation within the modern game, in many ways we should credit Tony Bloom again, where it leads us, only time will tell !!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Feel a bit sorry for David Jupp, also axed by the club this week. Been on the Football in the Community side for about 10 years and a fine lad who will now be finding out, at 31, what it's like to be unemployed.

Hope he get's fixed up soon, fine bloke.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I was only on a Sussex Fa coaches course which Juppy hosted a few weeks ago. Very sad to see him go as he was always enthusiastic about his job and was very positive in promoting the 'Gus' way of playing even when talking to people who coach kids.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why is everyone talking about 6 games?!?

It was a 6 point system meaning the player had to fit 6 criteria. Nothing to do with games!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here