Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Stephenson leaves the Albion

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Just imagine you thought you were responsible for academy development and then found out that a couple of your key employees had been told they were no longer required, without anyone consultation with you. Do you think this might make it more or less difficult for you to settle in the area ???

I would imagine this is a possiblity

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Clash of personalities with Gus and then there would be only one winner, the Hoskins deal was on since January, Mackail Smith was on the radar too in January so the only signing of any note would have been Buckleys so maybe Gus is fed up on losing out on his targets due to all the 6 part faffing about.

It did seem a bit long winded, i remember at the time he announced this thinking by the time we have done all these checks the player will have either fallen short somewhere or been signed by someone else!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
It did seem a bit long winded, i remember at the time he announced this thinking by the time we have done all these checks the player will have either fallen short somewhere or been signed by someone else!

Or it will be November.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Pretty obvious that something is wrong. Suspect it is a case of Stephenson feeling undermined by the manager who is very strong about what he wants. Suspect Stephenson thought the job was not what he had at Watford with a weaker manager. Strange on the back of Brown going though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I thought it very strange that on Andy Naylor's Q&A the other day, Naylor had no idea that Steve Brown had gone, either Naylor is well and truly cut off from the club now, or the club were trying to keep it quiet.

I suspect it was the latter and that this news from Stephenson, is not exactly unexpected, and were hoping to reinstate Steve Brown before the news broke.

Time will tell i suppose.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Clearly something not right here, and probably no coincidence with Brown going too

The not settling bit cant be about not settling in Brighton, as I understand he didnt live in Watford before, but near Crewe, which must prove its not about our town!

As we all know Gus is very much his own man, perhaps there was a major clash of personalities

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Very curious. The 'not settling in Brighton' excuse sounds a bit thin. Can't imagine JS would walk away from all the positives at The Albion plus the opportunity to have a state of the art training academy, without having a good reason. I expect he would have been on a good financial deal too. Sounds like some sort of fundamental disagreement, wonder if it got to the 'it's Gus or me' stage, in which case JS was on a loser.

On the plus side I anticipate Tony Bloom will be head hunting already. He won't let this hiccup tarnish our progress.

Also might explain why the additional signings are taking a little longer to sort than hoped for?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A possibility that no one has considered yet, is that Stephenson may have received a better offer elsewhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
wilko1;4297040 The not settling bit cant be about not settling in Brighton said:
Perhaps if that is true he lived near Crewe when at Watford, that he moved to Brighton and he couldn't settle here. It is unlikely that he would commute between Crewe and Brighton each day and we are all adding 2 and 2 and making 5.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
it seemed very strange to me, came out of nowhere...don't think we will ever know the real reason, I just hope we get a good replacement in

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We are in a fortunate position where we currently have a manager that has 'absolute power', maybe one of only a few in the professional game.

Any recruitments or departures especially on the footballing side, I am sure will be his decision and his only.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So some people think he got rid of Brown and that's why he's been got rid of, some people think he's gone because he Brown was sacked against his will??

Second one sounds slightly more likely, but who knows. Rumours about Gus not being entirely happy with him/the set up do seem more credible now but would Bloom have gone against Gus to begin with?

I doubt we'll be told the turth by anyone, I guess what happens next will be some indication.

On the academy, hopefully we have already got some good use out of him even if none of it has been made real yet. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here