Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought he looked international standard, he’ll be a great addition to our team.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
WhoScored has Veltman as the highest-performing player in tonight's Dutch side - on the flip side, Dutch fans on social media are largely calling for him not to play for them again - is he being made into a scapegoat (by the Netherlands fans), or was he worse than the stats suggest?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
WhoScored has Veltman as the highest-performing player in tonight's Dutch side - on the flip side, Dutch fans on social media are largely calling for him not to play for them again - is he being made into a scapegoat (by the Netherlands fans), or was he worse than the stats suggest?
He was abysmal but so were van dijk and ake

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I didnt see all the game, but thought he did a superb job. Being run at and doing enough to make his keepers life easier/safer is no mean feat, and certainly looked comparably competent alongside megabucks show ponies.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hmmm

He was abysmal but so was van dijk and ake

I thought he looked international standard, he’ll be a great addition to our team.

I know - very confusing on what to believe!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmm

He was abysmal but so was van dijk and ake

Usual exaggeration as seen on NSC - players are always fantastic or dogshit..........he was ok-ish, not outstanding but certainly not abysmal. Ake was quite poor, and VVD was strolling around at half intensity.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Anyone blaming Veltman for the goal/problems tonight and saying it reflects his quality has to say the same for Van Dijk. Spinazzola was always a spare man for Italy and that should have been dealt with early on. Lodeweges is a legend but he would be out of his depth as NL manager even if they weren't demotivated a week before the start of their seasons in an empty stadium.

And Italy are on a formidable run and are Oranje's nemeses. Won nine and drawn five of the last 15 against them and have never lost in Amsterdam.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wonder if he's still feeling positive about the move?

Can't imagine he would've signed to be a back up? Could be that Potter wants to ease him in?

But who does he dislodge in our premier league back 3 barring injury/suspension?

Played well for Holland then unused sub at Albion..... ofc he'll get minutes, and only 2 games in, but just wonder if he was expecting more league first team action thus far?

albionite

May 20, 2009

Can't imagine he would've signed to be a back up? Could be that Potter wants to ease him in?

But who does he dislodge in our premier league back 3 barring injury/suspension?

Played well for Holland then unused sub at Albion..... ofc he'll get minutes, and only 2 games in, but just wonder if he was expecting more league first team action thus far?

Thought it was slightly odd on Sunday. Potter bringing on Burn and moving White to right back rather than bring on Veltman. Maybe he isn't up to speed with the prem just yet.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I couldn't see who he'd dislodge either, so I was quite surprised when we signed him - or rather, perhaps surprised that he signed for us.

Maybe it was an insurance job in case Dunk got his megabucks move to Chelsea or wherever?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thought it was slightly odd on Sunday. Potter bringing on Burn and moving White to right back rather than bring on Veltman. Maybe he isn't up to speed with the prem just yet.

Me too...... Never know but just made be think if what Veltman might be thinking about it all..... Could just be easing him in?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
He’s just got here, he’ll play Wednesday.
It will be telling if Stephens does go and we don’t get a direct replacement in, it MIGHT see White moved into a CM position which he could do IMO.
I’d think if anyone might be feeling out of sorts right now it’s BDB as he was a constant starter last season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I thought that was an excellent substitution and made total sense.

Newcastle were clearly starting to go long so the extra height helped us and then going to a back four countered the change that they had made bringing Almiron on for Carroll and having an extra man in midfield which seemed to help them a little. Potter is just brilliant in those situations.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Thought it was always likely he was signing as an insurance player due to his versatility. It also allowed us to move on Duffy / Montoya and be comfortable we had enough cover and meant we had a back up if White didn’t make the step up as expected. He’ll get enough games as the season goes on but personally never saw him as a permanent starter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still not the worst player to have up your sleeve.

How many of the 19 other clubs in the EPL would kill to have in their ranks Veltman...

Burn

Duffy

Clarke

Roberts

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He’s just got here, he’ll play Wednesday.
It will be telling if Stephens does go and we don’t get a direct replacement in, it MIGHT see White moved into a CM position which he could do IMO.
I’d think if anyone might be feeling out of sorts right now it’s BDB as he was a constant starter last season.

Whites worst performances for Leeds were in Centre Midfield. We have Propper and Molumby to support Alzate and Bissouma. Lallana can also drop back and so could Gross at a push. No need to split a back 3 that’s still a work in progress. There will be plenty of games that don’t suit Lamptey to start plus with his pace he will be targeted and could well pick up injuries. Veltman will get game time

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

Transfer fee clearly suggests he’s brought in as a back-up option to Lamptey. He will play but he will know he’s second choice

Stumpy Tim

I did until it became obvious he wanted to switch to a back 4. Burn was the obvious choice in that case. Even if he put Solly at left-back, Veltman still wouldn´t have come on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here