Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Correct. It is a contractually agreed clause that if a club bids at that price, they must accept. There are often stipulations regarding which clubs this applies to. In some cases (probably in this one) it only applies to foreign clubs. I seem to remember reading about a team like City or Liverpool including a clause in the transfer of a player to a Spanish club (minimum release fee clauses are a contractual obligation there) that there needed to be a separate, much higher, release clause set for any bid from Man United.

I didn't know that. I assumed they were open to everyone. So if it was veltman's dream to play in the premier league thats why it was so low. A thank you for the service provided you join the premier league? That makes much more sense.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I didn't know that. I assumed they were open to everyone. So if it was veltman's dream to play in the premier league thats why it was so low. A thank you for the service provided you join the premier league? That makes much more sense.

It could be. I obviously don't know any of the intricacies of his contract, but in theory, he could have any stipulation attached to the clause. The (excluding domestic clubs) is a pretty common one for obvious reasons.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Call me cynical but it's where he'll get the best deal. Signing on fee of most of the difference between the 900k and his market value, plus a good wage.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Call me cynical but it's where he'll get the best deal. Signing on fee of most of the difference between the 900k and his market value, plus a good wage.

I think he got a decent sign-on but I also think he truly wanted to go to the PL. I cant imagine that the other two clubs he had offers from - both CL clubs - Atalanta and Lyon would have paid him much less.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Obviously still to see if he's any good, but all the noises so far sound like this is a really smart deal from the club

This from Naylor: Atalanta and a couple of Premier League rivals wanted Joel Veltman. #BHAFC
A Brighton source says those rivals were “absolutely spitting feathers because we moved so quickly on it and we’d been tracking him so long, he only really wanted to come to us”.

Full article (paywalled, of course): https://theathletic.com/1965335/2020/08/01/brighton-joel-veltman-ajax/

Definitely sounds like one of those that we've had on the radar for a very long time and have been very patient with, building up a rapport with the player. Well done to the recruitment team for the diligence.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Definitely sounds like one of those that we've had on the radar for a very long time and have been very patient with, building up a rapport with the player. Well done to the recruitment team for the diligence.
Like... ...errr... .... Jahanbakhsh...?

:whistle:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wow! Have a look at the Argus comments from Hans Kray, he is a very big fan and thinks he’ll possibly be better suited to us than Ajax. Also surprised that he signed for L’il Ole Brighton rather than a big club. Davy Propper sold him on the Albion! Best position right side CB though he can push up to midfield, not a RB and he doesn’t hoof the ball. Ideal in a back three

Now where is that Albion fan who said he had a friend who was a season ticket holder at Ajax who thought he was shitehouse ? :lolol:

Kray does say that he doesn’t think Albion did their homework on Locadia and was apparently not enthused when he saw that we had signed him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wow! Have a look at the Argus comments from Hans Kray, he is a very big fan and thinks he’ll possibly be better suited to us than Ajax. Also surprised that he signed for L’il Ole Brighton rather than a big club. Davy Propper sold him on the Albion! Best position right side CB though he can push up to midfield, not a RB and he doesn’t hoof the ball. Ideal in a back three

Now where is that Albion fan who said he had a friend who was a season ticket holder at Ajax who thought he was shitehouse ? :lolol:

Kray does say that he doesn’t think Albion did their homework on Locadia and was apparently not enthused when he saw that we had signed him.

I think he's been brought in with the idea that playing with a back three will be the formation we use most commonly.

Anyway, great to see this board back to talking about what we have got, not what we might get or might lose.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Now where is that Albion fan who said he had a friend who was a season ticket holder at Ajax who thought he was shitehouse ? [emoji38]ol:

Hans kray is the Dutch equivalent of Steve mcmanaman in pundit terms !!

Proof will be in the pudding I guess you just never know with Dutch players. What we definitely know of veltman is that he's a lion heart so will at least give everything. Will be interesting to see how we use him, as kraay says in that article he's not great in the air hence being shifted to RB at Ajax.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Locadia going to the PL was surprising to everyone who follows Dutch football. Signing a player who had gone backwards in his development and never really taken off despite being considered the "new PSV superstriker". It was painfully obvious from EL/CL that he was not good enough to repay the confidence plenty of managers showed him. Not the type of player you should sign to one of the toughest leagues.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Cover for CB/RB like Burn on the other side if the below from sky sports is believed:

La Liga side Real Betis are in talks with Brighton over a potential deal for right-back Martin Montoya.

The former Barcelona defender has one year left on his contract at the Amex Stadium.

Montoya was signed in August 2018 from Valencia on a four-year deal.

Teenager Tariq Lamptey, a January signing from Chelsea, impressed in the right-back role when the Premier League resumed after lockdown and Montoya may struggle to get regular game time in the new season.

Montoya had a previous loan spell at Betis in 2016

Cover for CB/RB like Burn on the other side if the below from sky sports is believed:

La Liga side Real Betis are in talks with Brighton over a potential deal for right-back Martin Montoya.

The former Barcelona defender has one year left on his contract at the Amex Stadium.

Montoya was signed in August 2018 from Valencia on a four-year deal.

Teenager Tariq Lamptey, a January signing from Chelsea, impressed in the right-back role when the Premier League resumed after lockdown and Montoya may struggle to get regular game time in the new season.

Montoya had a previous loan spell at Betis in 2016

Signing a four year deal in August 2018 and one year left on his contract don't reconcile. Maths obviously not their strong point.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think that’s where he played a lot for Ajax

Yeah and i think that was what Kray was saying too. I was surprised, but i'm sure he mentioned that Ajax, and the national team, rarely play 3 at the back. And although he reckons his best postion is on the right of a 3, my feeling is that he has been signed primarily to play RB in a 4 and as an option in a 3 (where we have plenty). So a direct replacement for Montoya it seems but not necessarily a regular starter.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Having players like Veltman, White, Burn, Lamptey, March, Alzate and possibly Bernardo who can play in two defensive positions, or a defensive and midfield position will be important to how we play next season. The ability to shift from a back four to back five without making subs, as well as the strength in depth this brings, is really positive. Adding a new LWB, possibly a versatile player like AMN would be the cherry on the icing on the cake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here