Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
£900,000 is worth the risk for a international, who's won everything in Holland and pushed far in the champions league. Also, people saying how slow he is.. If you've ever seen him play you would know that he's significantly faster than most centre backs. He's not the fastest by any stretch but fast enough. Also, one of his strengths is his positioning he fills gaps brilliantly, cuts off the pitch well and is a clear threat at corners ( scores a lot of headed goals ). I don't think he's here for the bench he'll play in back three and be a cover for wing back. Tottenham were trying to sign him a couple years ago.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I cant get my head round how this guy is only 900k

If it was £5m you would still say its cheap
See #241.

What I think a number of us are mistakenly doing is trying to put this guy and White in fixed positions and see what it does to GPs'best team'. GP doesn't work like that. He likes to vary personnel and formation between games and within games. So players who are comfortable on the ball and flexible are extra valuable. And if we do primarily play 3 at the back then we will need 6 players who could play there. Equally, we could see White playing as one of a three but then stepping out with the ball in a midfield role.

Modern football and GP has put us in the vanguard of it.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
£900,000 is worth the risk for a international, who's won everything in Holland and pushed far in the champions league. Also, people saying how slow he is.. If you've ever seen him play you would know that he's significantly faster than most centre backs. He's not the fastest by any stretch but fast enough. Also, one of his strengths is his positioning he fills gaps brilliantly, cuts off the pitch well and is a clear threat at corners ( scores a lot of headed goals ). I don't think he's here for the bench he'll play in back three and be a cover for wing back. Tottenham were trying to sign him a couple years ago.

I looked at some clips on you tube. He’ll do for me.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Watch a game and you will see how many headers we win at corners. The answer is not many. Duffy is the best in the air of our CBs.

i watch all the games,one way or another, duffy is the best, but you're saying dunk can't head a ball?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Watch a game and you will see how many headers we win at corners. The answer is not many. Duffy is the best in the air of our CBs.

BDB does alright.

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 6.51.48 PM.png

As an aside, Dunk was top 10 for passes completed.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Looks like a good full back in a 4 man defence but if GP plays a 5, perhaps he'll be a CB or maybe a defensive midfielder due to lack of pace. Seems like he hits a decent long pass and can bring the ball out comfortably.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Am upgrade on Montoya to me - who often does all the hard work to win the ball - then gets half way up the pitch with it and turns round and comes backwards - Bruno would have just picked a simple pass and run into space

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
He is a replacement for the greyhound, that’s all. Where all this Montoya and Duffy are off is coming from I am not sure. Our squad was so short last season that Andrew Crofts and Locadia had places in it and we still only had 24.
Can’t see anyone leaving unless they want to, which means they think they are not good enough for the first team. Not many are going to admit that!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He is a replacement for the greyhound, that’s all. Where all this Montoya and Duffy are off is coming from I am not sure. Our squad was so short last season that Andrew Crofts and Locadia had places in it and we still only had 24.
Can’t see anyone leaving unless they want to, which means they think they are not good enough for the first team. Not many are going to admit that!

As things stand, from the 24 names in the February listing [Andone, Balogun and Knockaert were not named], Kayal and Schelotto have definitely left and Crofts and Locadia will probably not be named again. That effectively would make 5 places available.

However, Alzate and White would need to be named this time around, as would Gyokeres if he was in the squad. We have also added Lallana and Veltman. So at least 4 of those 5 free places have already been taken.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If there was one position I thought we didn’t need, it was CB.

But he’s an absolute steal for the money we’ve got him for. I’m sure the club know what they’re doing.

And if Duffy’s coffin wasn’t already shut, this guy certainly has the final nail to bang in for him.

On the Ajax 2016/17 Ajax video for Veltman, he was a RB.

This spells farewell to Montoya.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
As things stand, from the 24 names in the February listing [Andone, Balogun and Knockaert were not named], Kayal and Schelotto have definitely left and Crofts and Locadia will probably not be named again. That effectively would make 5 places available.

However, Alzate and White would need to be named this time around, as would Gyokeres if he was in the squad. We have also added Lallana and Veltman. So at least 4 of those 5 free places have already been taken.

Locadia won’t be named as he’s already agreed a loan deal with FC Cincinnati for next season. Alexis Mac Allister also needs to be named next season as he was was an under 21 this season. So we do need some movement out if we want to sign more players, or risk having too many players and therefore some we cannot name in the 25.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is it as simple as; if Propper, Montoya and Duffy all depart, that gives room for 4 more signings? (In addition to Lallana and Veltman).

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014

Do you think Gyokeres will be in the squad? Always respect your opinions. Matt Clarke is also coming back. This may be tighter than I thought!
Duffy and others may want first team football but I still don’t think anyone will be forced out. I think it will be their choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here