Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Initial feeling was meh, but having seen his interview and watched his skill reels, looks a very good signing for £900k.

Right back options strengthened and he can cover at CB if needed.
Potter will use him more than he would have used Montoya IMO.

If IF Webster is moving across to the left side.
With Dunk in the middle.
White on the right.

Then GPott would have White next to Lamptey - a combined age of Glenn Murray!!

Joel would appear to be the perfect signing if a team decides to target our right flank.
He can steady either position but only take one place on the bench.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Well that's come out of the blue.

I find it an intriguing signing. He's an Ajax regular, a dutch international in what should be his peak years and he's decided to give up winning titles and playing in the Champions league to join a team who in their three seasons in the premier league have finished 15th, 17th, 15th.

My initial thought was he was a squad strengthening signing but would you swap the above just to be a squad player? So is he here as a starter? If he is whose place does he take? Has Potter decided that Lamptey is currently too raw to start most games? Or does he envision moving Lamptey further forward. If it's the former is this the end of Montoya? If it's the latter, the end of Ali J? Or neither?

Perhaps he's here to play as part of a back three? Does that mean that Webster, our 20million centre half or White the apparent future of English defending(at least he is if he joins Leeds...) miss out? Or maybe Potter sees White as a defensive midfielder.

Is Burn now a bona fide left back and so not considered as a central option unless injuries dictate otherwise? You'd think this is another sign that Duffy is on his way but if Burn is thought of as first choice left back and White a defensive midfielder then we'd need Duffy as cover for the back three.

A genuinely fascinating signing. And all for 900k.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Online chatter from Ajax fans seems to be he's a great bloke, pretty solid if unspectacular and he's got a mistake in him. Seems like a decent addition with Balogun and Schellotto gone and another CB likely to be off.

I should add, that's a lot better feedback than when we signed Locadia. That was more focused on the size of the fee and questioning our sanity.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Definitely agree on that one. 100% worth a punt.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

So you've already changed your tune, then? First it was 'very strange', not it's '100% worth a punt' FFS!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apparently(according to Dutch football journo Freek Jansen, very reliable) both Lyon and Atalanta had offers accepted but Veltman really only wanted to play in the PL. And since Brighton tracked him for three years, it was pretty much the obvious choice even if a few other clubs were interested as well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It could just mean the Dutch league is poor, which it is.
So if you're shopping in the Dutch league either go big or go home.

A decent player for FC Nomark, just ain't all that.
A decent player for serial winners and Champions League semi finalists, from a squad that was sold off to the four corners for £100m+ ought not to be judged with Elvis Manu.

Still plenty will.
Plenty are already eagerly anticipating their 'I told you so' thread.
Plenty will refuse to let him settle.

Quite sad really.

I understand your point and I’m not criticising the player, as I know nothing about him, but as you said the Dutch league is poor, big Jurg came from one of the better teams but failed.

So apparently the ‘go big’ doesn’t necessarily apply either.

As per my post at £900k potentially bargain of the season.

You do have to remember it’s place for Brighton fans to sensibly debate, rather than be ‘elated’ at everything.....

It would be sadder if we all agreed [emoji2]

Next up a forward....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's insane in today's market - unless he's 'League One at best' of course (someone will say that after his first 10 minutes, guaranteed).

Absolutely and that’s the main thing for me, irrespective of how I feel about the league, an international at £900k - why wouldn’t you?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Absolutely and that’s the main thing for me, irrespective of how I feel about the league, an international at £900k - why wouldn’t you?

Absolutely !... considering Ake is on his way to City for 40million.... his international team mate with less caps.... 900k is a bargain !

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Jairo Riedewald actually played very well this season for Palace after PVA injury.. and he was a teenager at Ajax and he done pretty well to begin with to be fair. Wouldn't class him as terrible.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry can you find the 'very strange' quote?

Or maybe just apologise for misquoting me ;)

Apologies, it was your fellow miserablist Spence who came out with that one.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Am I right in thinking that European teams rely much more heavily on gate receipts than their Premier League counterparts because TV money is less? If this is the case, with no crowds, perhaps teams are looking to offload players at reduced fees.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
sorry, who can't hearda ball?

Harry can't hear da ball...

arry.gif

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry can you find the 'very strange' quote?

Or maybe just apologise for misquoting me ;)

Apologies, it was your fellow miserablist Spence who came out with that one.

Yeah - what dwayne said was

Good deal but not a great player !!

Very poor at Ajax recently , lots of mistakes in him

In comparison Spence was very much the pure sunny uplands optimist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here