Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I'd suggest away at Liverpool or Citeh, Lamptey possible shouldn't. He's learning, highly talented but he's been done a few times.
Much more experienced head in the top 6 away games would make sense. Lamptey is quality and is going to be a top top player, but as you say he's inexperienced and still a teenager.

I’m surprised more haven’t said anything about this. He does get drawn out of position quite easily and into unsuitable ones, e.g. marking 6 footers, and this will undoubtedly result in goals against. Once he can eradicate this, he’s going to be even better than the huge prospect and already very good player he already is.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I can see some young centre backs being sold on though. Though not White. I can see players like Baluta, Ostigard thinking they don't need to spend the next few years being loaned out to get game time and would prefer to find a permanent club. I reckon Clarke too.
Baluta is nailed on for a championship loan imo.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Schelotto replacement whilst also covering for the departing Shane Duffy, would be my guess.

Interesting that he's not taken the vacant number 3 shirt he's worn for so log at Ajax. Maybe we have a new left back / left wing back coming in and the number has been promised?

Nouri = 34
Friends number sentimental reasons.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
veltman.png

He'll fit right in here with our fans then lol

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
On the pitch plays like Bruno. Intelligent RB more so than CB or RWB but can do a job at either like the great man did. Makes perfect sense. Potter will love utilising him much like he has with Burn. You'd want an option with similar positional flexibility but a different style on the opposite side and seems just that.

Left back and striker still to go hopefully.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Disagree... Dunk has proved he is very good at this level, Webster has got better as time has progressed and is beginning to look good. White has to prove it.

If you go by club pedigree then Montoya (Barca & Valencia) should have been first choice defender .
Yer ... Our defence is pretty damn great as it is. Veltman is slow and average and Ajax's defence is pretty poor. Veltman will be an experienced voice in the dressing room. I think he will be a more vocal replacement for Montoya.

Interesting to see how he does in the prem. Hopefully he's better than ridewald !!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yer ... Our defence is pretty damn great as it is. Veltman is slow and average and Ajax's defence is pretty poor. Veltman will be an experienced voice in the dressing room. I think he will be a more vocal replacement for Montoya.

Interesting to see how he does in the prem. Hopefully he's better than ridewald !!

Oh for our defence to be as poor as Ajax’s! Second best in their division, letting in 23 in 25 games. Shocking!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So who do you think would win out of us and Ajax?

We’d give them a game over two legs, and likely to lose.

But it’s not Ajax it’s Dutch football, it’s poor. In recent years VVD aside who went via Scotland, there are few success in the PL. Eriksen? Vertoghen?

There is a massive difference playing for a big team in a very small pool, to playing for a potential medium team in a very large pool.

Our own signings haven’t fared well either - Locadia, Manu, AJ? Even Propper whilst okay has struggled. Holla?

Good signing VFM wise, an educated punt, time will tell if it’s a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We’d give them a game over two legs, and likely to lose.

But it’s not Ajax it’s Dutch football, it’s poor. In recent years VVD aside who went via Scotland, there are few success in the PL. Eriksen? Vertoghen?

There is a massive difference playing for a big team in a very small pool, to playing for a potential medium team in a very large pool.

Our own signings haven’t fared well either - Locadia, Manu, AJ? Even Propper whilst okay has struggled. Holla?

Good signing VFM wise, an educated punt, time will tell if it’s a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good post.... Think some people are getting carried away by this signing. It's amazing just how many flops we've signed from the Dutch league yet we go back time and time again !!

900k is pure no brainer though.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Good post.... Think some people are getting carried away by this signing. It's amazing just how many flops we've signed from the Dutch league yet we go back time and time again !!

900k is pure no brainer though.

But this is not the dutch league we are used to this is Ajax, the same as righting off Celtic because they are in the Scottish league or PSG because they are in the french league. Just last year Ajax sold Frenkie De Jong and Matthijs de Ligt deemed good enough for Barcelona and Juventus and have a history of churning out good players, I know he is 28 not one of their youngsters but he is a product of the youth academy.

I am more than happy with this transfer I think it shows intent and for 900K its an absolute steal in today's market.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good signing: if he is a success, its great, if he fail, the club will easily get the money + more if he moves on.

Always (with some exceptions) a bit of question marks regarding any signing from the Dutch league (and I say that as a huge Eredivise fan) - even from Ajax - but for £900k its a no brainer.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This looks to be a very astute signing, an international player who can play in more than one position and we don't even think he will be in the starting line up.

I had said I wanted 3 new signings this summer but to have 2 in the first week would leave just 1 more in 2 months...this is too long a transfer window for just 1 more. A striker next please Uncle Tony

I agree that we really need another striker but also a pacey left back WHO CAN CROSS the ball:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here